NORCOLD refrigerator not getting cold?

lakeside

I have a new 2014 Bighorn 3685RL with the 12 cubic footdouble sided RV refrigerator (NORCOLD series 121X). The first trip out theambient temperature was about 70 degrees F. The frig worked perfectly. Second tripout the ambient temperature was 90 degrees F and the refrigerator was packedFULL for a 12 day RV trip. The frig worked perfectly. Third trip out theambient temperature is 80 degrees F and the frig is packed medium full for afour day trip. The freezer is working perfectly, but the frig will NOT coolbelow 44 – 48 degrees F. I called my dealer and he told me to relocate thesensor located on the coil fins inside the frig. The new placement of thesensor has had NO effect on the frig temperature (still remains at 44 degreesF). I have run the unit on LP and then switchedover to AC for several hours with the temp setting at #9 (coldest), with nochange to the inside temp. Any ideas from other Heartland owners or factory folkson what I can try to get this frig working properly again? Thank you.

Lakeside

danemayer

Hi Lakeside,

If the freezer is working properly, temp will be around zero (F) and ice cream will be hard. If freezer is ok, but the refrigerator is warm, it may be due to an air leak in the refrigerator compartment.

On the Dometic RM1350 4-door unit, there's a flap on the left-hand door that has to rotate into position as the doors close in order to seal the gap between the doors. While I'm not familiar with the Norcold, I wouldn't be surprised if it has some similar arrangement. On Dometics, the flap would sometimes bind and leave the air gap open.

You should also check the seals. Check for irregular shape. Put a dollar bill across part of the seal and close the door. Pull the bill out. There should be a bit of drag. If it's loose, the seal is not doing its job.

Inside the frig, you need air circulation for the cold air to do its job. Even when the fridge is not packed full, if you have items that are blocking air circulation, you'll have a problem.

Dometic units have a drain hose that drains water outside the unit. The hose pokes through the louvers on the outside of the unit, behind the frig. If you have one of those, take a look at the end of it. Dometic hoses have a fitting on the end that keeps warm outside air from getting sucked into the refrigerator. If it's missing, it can cause a problem.

Our Dometic 1350 Troubleshooting Flowchart may be helpful to you, even though some of the specific remedies won't apply.

Theresau

We found that the refrigerator worked much better on propane when it was very hot out. For sure we start with propane and then switch over to electric. But when it got in the 90's we switched back to propane.

lakeside

Called NORCOLD and explained the problem. Technician indicated it was a sensor issue and is mailing out a new sensor to me which should arrive in 7 days. I will install that and update as issue evolves. Thank you all. Lakeside

wdk450

Take off the outside top and bottom venting covers and inspect the cooling (heat transfer) fins as much as you can, and that nothing has obstructed the upward flow of air. Do you have upward blowing fans back there? Are they coming on when the temperature is high? Are all spaces on the sides and top of the refrig stuffed with insulation. Uninsulated dead air spaces really hinder the ammonia adsorption refrigerator's cooling process. Can upward airflow go behind the cooling fins (between the refrigerator cooling unit and the outside paneling) and bypass the cooling fins? Insulation placed behind the cooling unit which can be just touching the fins will help with this, too

lakeside

Replaced the sensor and fridge seems to be working up to standards, currently running at 36 F with the setting on #4. Thanks all for your valuable information.

Lakeside

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the update.
This could be helpful for someone in the future.

Peace
Dave

Greengas

I'm having the same problem (fridge not cooling well) in my new landmark. I was going to try and move the sensor that is attached to the fin in the fridge but I m not sure where to move it to, another fin, or should I slide it up or down on the current fin.

As always thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited: