North Trail 32RLTS

nacho

Hi there,

I am based in Europe and seriously considering buying a 32RLTS
I have spent quite a lot of time looking around the web for some confirmation to the following fundamental questions but struggling - so thought I would try here :)

Size is all important within Europe as unfortunately roads, parking places and Campsite plots are so much smaller here :-(

Overall length without hitch - I assumed this is 32' as the model number suggests, but when I look at specs it says 36.8' - is this also including the hitch/rear bumper?
Width - 8' but can anyone tell me the width of the individual slides, or the overall width when the slides are out?

I am thinking of parking this in a plot hitch first so the rear lounge overlooks the road and not the adjacent plot.
So unfortunately I cannot use a tow vehicle as there will be no space for it at the end of the plot, does anyone have any experience in moving these trailers without a tow vehicle in the Campsite.
Any suggestions recommendations ?

I will probably have more specific questions about these units as time goes on but I need to ensure the unit will fit in my plot first :)

Thanks a lot
Nacho

danemayer

Hi Nacho,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure that some of our owners can answers your questions on the North Trail.

pegmikef

You are getting this for Europe? The length is the specs is from bumper to tip of the tongue. Some North Trails have a slide out carrier in the back when used adds a couple of more feet. The slide in my North Trail was three feet I assume yours would be about the same.

I had a travel trailer in Europe when I was stationed in Augsburg and pulled it all over southern Germany, parts of Austria and parts of Italy and I can tell you from experience except in Family Camps like the one at Camp Darby, Italy, my North Trail would not have fit. I even had trouble with my German TT (caravan) at the family camp at Chiemsee rec center in Bavaria. Moving it around in sites was easy as it was light enough so it could be pushed around by hand. (mine was six and a half meters). The only way I can think of to move it without a TV would be a fork lift as dealers do.

nacho

Thank you for the info pegmikef,

The 32RLTS is a rear lounge triple slide, there is one King slide on the lounge which I would use your estimate to be around 3 Feet, and same side a very small bedroom cupboard slide.
Then on the opposite side a kitchen/outside TV slide which is less in size. I can only assume it is half that size which would be 1'6" therefore making total width 12'6" wide when open - if any one can confirm on this, that would be great.

I have decided not to tow the Trailer straight away but instead have it delivered to a permanent pitch in France to live in for one Season then if we like it enough I will investigate towing the Trailer to and from different Campsites.
I needed the specs/sizes as I want to first check it will fit in the pitch with enough room around it for outdoor living, and secondly to inform the Campsite what to expect - so no surprises :)

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.p...NT+KING+32RLTS&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

Another question if anyone can help - I am not likely to be able to plumb the Grey & Black water tanks directly into the Campsite and wondered of there is any portable way of emptying the tanks which can be used a bit like emptying the traditional European Caravans?
As we would like to make use all the facilities of the Trailer - Shower, Bathroom. Kitchen etc..

Thanks

Nacho

pegmikef

Nacho

A lot of folks use portable dump tanks like these shown at this link.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/...mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

There are a lot of different kinds and sizes out there, this is intended only to be an example. It assumes that you have a place to empty the portable tank though. In my BH we found that we can go about a week before having to start emptying the tanks. With just the two of us, the black water tank lasts the longest.

A SGM buddy of mine had a full size American TT and F250 that he pulled down to Italy with no problem (except at the borders all the guards wanted a tour of it because they had never seen anything like it). On some of the switchbacks he did have to do a little backing a couple of times to get around it, but it wasn't a big deal. It didn't have slides so no problems there. At eight feet his was wider than my caravan which was two meters.

I don't know about now, but most of the rv resorts I stayed at in the late seventies would not accommodate our big multislide rigs. Heck, there are still a lot of public and private parks here that don't do a very good job of it.

IMO, I say go for it as we found there was no better way of taking mini tours around southern Germany, Austria and Italy than in an RV. If you do decide to visit other campsites, MAKE RESERVATIONS, where ever possible especially in the summer.

nacho

Ok that link looks like the similar setup to over here with Euro vans.
There are places to empty but unfortunately they normally have to be lifted a foot or 2 off the ground first.
It does mean not filling the dump tank much so we are able to lift it first - nothings easy....

Would you recommend putting jacks/struts under the slide outs when in long term use? I see so many people doing it over here with 5th wheels etc.

Thanks
Nacho

pegmikef

Would you recommend putting jacks/struts under the slide outs when in long term use? I see so many people doing it over here with 5th wheels etc.

Thanks
Nacho

I personally have never used them, but it would sure add stability to your whole trailer. I know in our North Trail because of the size of the slide, you could feel others moving around in the trailer. The jacks would eliminate that problem. If I were spending a month or more in one place I think I would purchase some of those simple screw telescoping jacks (normally not used for lifting, just stabilizing).