North Trail - Tow vehicle charging

Albertg

I have a couple of questions regarding dry camping power.

When the trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle will the electric hitch jack draw from the tow vehicle battery? I'm thinking it may need to be grounded to the truck.

When the trailer is hitched and plugged into the tow vehicle will the slider and awning draw from the tow vehicle?

My concern is that I may draw my trailer battery down to a point that it won't operate these functions and in some cases it won't be acceptable to run my generator.

Thanks for you assistance.

Al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Al, all of those functions should draw power from your truck when the umbilical cord is plugged into the seven pin plug of your truck.
To be sure,you should check for 12 volts at the truck plug as some trucks do not come with a fuse installed that will allows power to the plug.
Also I've moved your truck to the appropriate forum.

Peace
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

You should also be concerned about maintaining enough charge in the truck batteries to start the truck.

dave10a

The battery charge line from Ford trucks is relay activated when the ignition switch is on. I think that may be true for other brands of trucks.

Albertg

You should also be concerned about maintaining enough charge in the truck batteries to start the truck.

Thanks for responding, I'm just concerned about being able to pack up to leave in the event I've drained the camper battery system. I'd have my truck running during this process.

Al

- - - Updated - - -

Al, all of those functions should draw power from your truck when the umbilical cord is plugged into the seven pin plug of your truck.
To be sure,you should check for 12 volts at the truck plug as some trucks do not come with a fuse installed that will allows power to the plug.
Also I've moved your truck to the appropriate forum.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the reply, I'll check.

Al

SCPOSWRET

The battery charge line from Ford trucks is relay activated when the ignition switch is on. I think that may be true for other brands of trucks.

What is meant by relay activated? thank you

Power247

I've had to do this when the camper battery died while in storage. The truck provided plenty of power to run the tongue jack and the slides. I just kept the truck running while powering the camper.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

LBR

What is meant by relay activated? thank you
What he means is when the ignition is off, that 12 volt "charging" line to your trailer plugin is dead....only when the ignition switch is on or engine is running will that plugin terminal have power.

Domi

Hey Al,

With our North Trail and truck I can hear that the motors for the tounge jack and stablizers sound more powerfull when plugged into the truck then running off the coach battery. The speed of the motor generally increases.

So yes you can run them off the truck if needed.

Have a great caping season.

John