Northtrail 31RED disappointed

Code3

In May of 2009 I purchased a new Northtrail. After 1 1 /2 yrs the nosecap began to buckle and also on the curb side of the trailer. I contacted Heartland and sent them pics. They said it was water leaking from the roof. I took it to an rv center for a repair estimate and no water leaks were found. They stated that it was a common problem on the Northtrails and that they had fixed seberal of them. I was advised that Heartland never put enough support behind the fiberglass on the nosecap. I am done with Heartland. Poor quality.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than just throwing in the towel, give Heartland another call and explain what the RV center told you. No water damage and that is a known problem.
They may reconsider.
However, if the problem started at 1 1/2 years of ownership, they may wonder why now after nearly 4 years of ownership it is a problem.

Peace
Dave

Code3

They weren't too helpful when I talked to them. Right off the bat they were quick to say it was a water leak. Whenever I see another Northtrail it usually has a buckled nosecap. Seems to be a common problem and I'm sure Heartland is aware of it. Mine is an early 2009 model. Later in 2009 Heartland added diamond plating to their nosecap to prevent the problem. Mine has really started getting worse over the last year. Time to go back to a Jayco rv.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Code3, sorry you are unhappy and ready to give up on Heartland. There is a responsibility of the owner to maintain the caulk on the unit, and many don't, leading to the conclusion that delamination is probably caused by water infiltration. If you have not maintained your caulk, HL would not be responsible for damage.

We had a delamination area on our ER, and once it was determined it was NOT caused by water, (we sent pics after a window was removed), HL did work with us to get it repaired.

We had issues with our front cap on our 2008 North Trail, but we found it in 2009, during the 1 year warranty. HL did replace the cap, but they did not add the diamond plate. In 2009, this was a known issue by HL. I think if you could prove it wasn't water, you needed to contact HL and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code3

Disappointed w/ my 2009 31RED

Well I have e-mailed the factory with pictures of my delamination problem on my camper. Front nose cap is buckling badly along with the curb side of the trailer. Heartland says they will not fix it. Took it in for an estimate and repair shop said it is a common problem on the Northtrails and it is not going to be worth the money to fix. Linoleum has turned color in one area. Labels for the gray water and black water were backward. Poor quality.:( I have put it up for sale and looking to buy an Open Range. I hope you all have better luck than I have had. Disappointed with Heartland Rv's. :mad: