Northtrail (Caliber) Delamination Problems

cgrmac

I recently purchased a leftover 2011 North Trail 26 BRSS model on August 19, 2013 from VR St. Nicholas in Quebec. The dealer was more than 10 hours from my home and I was reluctant to buy. The unit was an upscale Caliber Edition with full body paint. It was an impressive looking trailer. The salesman told be the trailer was unmarked and was only reduced for quick sale. He emailed me many photos showing both the options and features. I asked if there was any salt damage to the alloy wheels and was told no as they do not use salt on their lot. He offered to have the unit delivered part way to save us some driving. I took his word and proceeded to make arrangement for delivery. They delivery guy (who was also a salesman) got tied up I was told and we didn't see him until after sunset. Luckily I had a flashlight and was able to look it over before signing the contract. I noticed salt damage on all four rims and centers and the fender was cracked. The deliver guy told me that it would be looked after under warranty and they would send the parts to me to make it right. So I bought it. I now think it was a mistake as the list of warranty items as well as damages from the dealership has grown. Most of the problems are easily repairable but I think the dealership should have noticed and repaired them before delivery. The major items are the rear panel is delaminating. I contacted Heartland and the dealer as soon as I noticed it and was told to take photos so they could see also. After many photos I finally was able to take that were good enough to send to Heartland. Heartland told me that delamination was usually caused by failed or unmaintained caulking and was covered for 90 days after delivery to the dealership. After that it was the responsibility of the dealership to maintain caulking. Upon closer inspection I noticed that about 24 inches of caulking was not there. This is where the delamination appears to have started. The is also 3 other "bubbles" on the door sidewall. Heartland now has the photos and have yet to reply. I will post an update with photos.

Last edited:

danemayer

Re: Northland Delamination Problems

Hi cgrmac,

Sorry to hear you're having these problems. One thing to take a look at is the build sticker that is probably on the frame toward the front. It'll show you the date of manufacture. Heartland's been shipping 2014 trailers for a while so a 2011 has probably been on the dealer lot for 2 1/2 to 3 years. Even if there was some missing caulk, regular inspections would have resulted in it being fixed before serious damage occurred.

Heartland's warranty will cover manufacturing defects, but neglect and wear & tear on the dealer lot is a different story.

If the salesman mislead you about the condition of the trailer, perhaps the dealer management will stand behind the sale and make things right. Of course that leaves you with a 10 hour trip, but going to the dealer may be the only way to get the maintenance problems fixed.

cgrmac

Re: Northland Delamination Problems

Thanks Dan. The photos are in Heartlands hands now but I think you are probably right. It will likely be the dealer who is responsible. I will update my post when I learn more. I add the photos to my album that were sent to Heartland. Have a look.

Last edited:

123camper

We have a 2011 sundance 3200re, no problem with delamination. We bought it in SD in 2010 and lived in it for 6months while we were building our house in tn. We had to buy property and build so we could have room to park the 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Anyone have delamination problem with Sundance Model?
Hi SandraInTexas,

If you read many delamination posts, you're probably aware that most delamination is related to water intrusion which is usually a maintenance issue that can occur over time. Of course, if your Sundance is brand new, something else could be going on.

Can you fill us in on the details of your Sundance and maybe post pictures showing the delamination.