Not a Bash, just dissapointed

olyfire

I'm not here to bash Heartland but after three years of problems we decided it was time to sell and move on.
In April of 2011 we purchased a North Trail 32BUDS. Within the first couple of weeks we started having problems. The worst of the problems was the main slide quit working. The dealer had to install a new complete slide mechanism, installed improperly at the factor. That took almost a month. There were also plumbing leaks, the canopy shorted out, leak in the outside shower, TV rotating antenna would not rotate, the Kitchen sink started rusting out within 6 months and the master bed mattress went flat, we are not big people. Yes Heartland was good to work with and everything was fixed but we were without our trailer for a few months altogether.
Then in May of 2013 while descending a mountain pass our trailer brakes gave out. It turned out the brake wires overheated and totally burned the wires off. After tracing the wires we found the back axle brakes had never been hocked up which put all of the load on the front trailer brakes. I checked with Heartland but they would not help because it was out of the warranty period. The last straw we the heater quite last September.
We have owned three trailers and three fifth wheels in our many years of RVing. The Heartland by far had more problems than any we have owned. In reading the forums since we bought the North Trail, I continue to see what seems like a problem with quality control. Heartland is not a bad product but the lack of quality control has an adverse affect on the customer right off.
We had a lot of great trips and experiences with our North Trail, but just couldn't trust it anymore.
Just a note, in the paper work for our new trailer, was lists of all the system tested including pressure tests of all of the plumbing before it left the factory. As of yet after three months with our new unit not one problem.

Rddocatt

Dont think your alone in the poor quality section. I had a rear motor go out on a heartland rig. I have an extended warranty but could not get an apponitment in to the dealer for 2 months. So I contacted the VP at Giant RV told him the problem and said can you trade motors with me under warranty. It was used 5 or 6 times and never sounded good when I got it. Well I got it. They charged the factory 125 dollars in labor( on paper) and me 75 $ for a deductible on the warranty. I pointed out that I was doing the labor! But not they wanted the 75$. If you want it done right pay the 75

porthole

Retired
Dont think your alone in the poor quality section. I had a rear motor go out on a heartland rig. I have an extended warranty but could not get an apponitment in to the dealer for 2 months. So I contacted the VP at Giant RV told him the problem and said can you trade motors with me under warranty. It was used 5 or 6 times and never sounded good when I got it. Well I got it. They charged the factory 125 dollars in labor( on paper) and me 75 $ for a deductible on the warranty. I pointed out that I was doing the labor! But not they wanted the 75$. If you want it done right pay the 75

I worked on new cars for almost 20 years.
And what that dealer did is fraud.

2 dealers I worked for were eventually shut down by Chrysler for one type of fraud or another.

GeneF

I am also very disappointed in Heartland's quality and can't believe the number of items such as a complete front panel replaced, leaks, doors not fitting, slide that can't seemed to be fixed. On the road and praying everytime I open the slide that it won't jam up again. Be home in September and this thing will be turning into a Jayco. I have had seven rigs and this has by far had the most problems and spent the most time at a dealership than any of the others combined. This trailer looked good in the quality department which is one I bought it, but I should have looked a lot closer.

Familyof4

I completely agree on the Quality. We purchased a New 2014 28 BRS in April. It has been in the shop over 3 month for water leaks from the slide. At first it was with the Slide out. They had to replace the counter top and it took 6 weeks to get from HL. Then the Slide leaked when closed both parked and driving. Now it's on its 3 time back at the shop. The unit sits so low to the ground it drags going into and out of the dealer for repairs. I'm worried about the mass amount of water that has run thru my coach and the floor is starting to buckle under the floor covering. Now the rear door flys open when on the road from the contact with the ground. Very disappointed with HL on the response for warranty. When doing research thought this was a high quality coach. Guess I was wrong.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like your rig has spent too much time in the shop and I am inclined to think the problem is with the dealer.
3 months for water leaks. Really? You most likely could have tracked it down and repaired it in a couple of days.
Just me thinking out loud.
I suggest that you give Heartland a call and explain your concerns. And find out if it really did take 6 weeks for a counter top.
Has anyone looked at the suspension to see if that is the reason you are sitting so low to the ground?
Come back and let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

Familyof4

Dave, here is an update on my 28 BRS. It is now a year old. Been out of service for 6 of the 12 months we have owned it. This includes 3 months that HRV had it when they took it back to the factory to completely rebuild the slide. After it was returned it spent another 3 weeks at the dealer to repair the terrible workmanship and interior finish which was not done because they said it passed their quality audit???. I have had it back 3 weeks and on the first trip in our Texas Rain it still leaks in the same location. Now it is back to see what HRV will do to make this right. Wish we never would have purchased an HRV Product.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Family, a question, does it leak when sitting still or when driving in the rain? That would be two different issues.

Familyof4

Bob, the leak is when it's being towed or if the slide is closed and the unit is not parked level. The bad part is it's already been to Back to HRV 1 time. Not to mention it was returned to me in worse condition then it was before it went there and it still leaks. The quality control up there is very poor and the claim to repair the issues was denied stating it passed their quality inspection. So far HRV has been about the worst Customer Service I have ever had to deal with, if they answer or return phone calls at all........Hope HRV does the right thing to make this issue go away..

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Who is HRV? Are you refering to Heartland? Did HL do the repair or a dealer? Something does not sound right. When pulling in rain...water is being thrown up at the slide seals. Is the lower slide seal in place? When the slide is in...can you see any light coming through at each corner of the slide? I'm not sure if HL does all repairs at the plant or has a dealer close to the plant do them. You have a right to be upset...but a nicely placed call to HL might get some results. Make sure you have your VIN# handy.