Not RV Related - Question about Eye Glasses

Chippendale

I went to the Eye Doctor on March 10th and got a new glasses Rx. I have been having the prescriptions filled at the Sam's Club Optical close to my old house for the last several years. Last year, I got one complete pair of new glasses, lens and frames. On the 10th, I took the new Rx to the Sam's Optical in the Club close to my new house and ordered new lens for 2 pair of glasses, not new frames. I was getting progressive bifocal lens for my regular glasses and also progressive lens for my sun glasses.

When I went to pay, she told me the total for 4 lens was $455.00. I thought that was high, but could not remember what I paid last time, just that it was high. For my regular lens, she charged me $130.00 each lens plus, $10.00 because I brought in my old frames and did not buy new ones for a total of $270.00 and for my progressive lens in my sun glasses, I was charged $87.50 each plus the $10.00 existing frame charge for a total of $185.00 or the grand total of $455.00.

For those of you who wear glasses, does this sound accurate? Seems real high to me since I did not purchase new frames.

Thanks,
George

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well here's another side of ordering glasses. I have bad case of astigmatism. I have gone to a number of places in the past to get my prescription and another to get my glasses. I have worn glasses since I was 6yrs old.

Because of my astigmatism many places do not make my lenses correctly. So I go to a place that only makes lenses.

My eye exam cost $85.00. This doctor is very good and precise.
This year I got a pair of sunglasses and clear glasses and frames. I get the titanium frames which will bend but not break. They are expensive. Also if my lenses get badly scratched I will take them and send them to Roger Corley, my Certified Optician (Oculens Optical in Garland TX). He will replace my lens up to two years and mail them back to me where ever I am. I always keep my previous set of glasses as backups. I will normally change my glasses out every two years if necessary. These lenses and frames, two sets of glasses ran me $1,1600. Expensive but I never have a problem seeing with my glasses and if I have a problem I get them repaired easily.

I have tried getting my glasses at Wal-Mart, Sams, Texas Optical (which did work most of the time) but none were as good as Oculens Optical.

BWIW
BC

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Yep...sounds about right...that's why we've been buying our glasses (progressives - me with an astigmatism and Michael with funky eyes) from ZenniOptical.com for the past several years. Takes about 2 weeks to get them but we only pay between $50 & $75 for a pair of glasses. For that price we usually buy 2 pairs for Michael as he's very hard on them and I get a pair of prescription sunglasses too!

Westwind

I'm badly near sighted and need glasses for seeing in the distance and reading up close, I wear progressive bi-focal lenses and usually end up getting anti-glare and scratch resistant lenses and frames but many times I'll get just the lenses, I was alternating my regular glasses with my sun glasses to cut down on the expense, two pairs cost almost a $1,000.
As I said my prescription is strong and I get High Density lenses and now something called HD lenses which really improved my peripheral vision.
We have to see - so they have us. The eyeglass industry is close to being a Monopoly. Google it and you will see!

ILH

My last pair, progressives and auto tint - came to about $600 with new frames. I have acute astigmatism too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I wear trifocals and have three pair. A set of transitions, safety glasses, and sunglasses. Insurance picks up a portion of the exam because I see an ophthalmologist, but the glasses are on my dime. Maybe I'll get cut back to a lesser correction if I get past the "pucker factor" and get the cataracts taken care of.

lynndiwagoner

Zenni Optical. In Oklahoma you are entitled to a copy of your prescription. The only problem with some eye doctors is that they won't give you the "PD" or pupillary distance with the prescription. I think this is because they know that you are going to buy on line. If that figure is not on your prescription demand that they provide it. It's none of their business where you buy your glasses.

2psnapod1

Zenni Optical. In Oklahoma you are entitled to a copy of your prescription. The only problem with some eye doctors is that they won't give you the "PD" or pupillary distance with the prescription. I think this is because they know that you are going to buy on line. If that figure is not on your prescription demand that they provide it. It's none of their business where you buy your glasses.

You can just walk into any Walmart and ask them to measure your Pupillary Distance....we've also had it measured at the Optical Shops on military installations.

lynndiwagoner

My optician provides that info but a lot don't. Good to know about Walmart. With the info on the prescription you have everything you will need to order from Zenni Optical. I've even uploaded my picture so I can try on glasses on line. I've ordered many pairs of glasses for myself, wife, and father in law. Every pair was perfect.

2psnapod1

We, too, have never had any problems....the biggest drawback, in my opinion, is waiting the 2 weeks or so it takes to get the glasses. Zenni was recommended to me by an Air Force eye doctor...he and his wife buy all their glasses from them as well. I figured if it was good enough for them...it's good enough for us too!

HornedToad

I just bought my first pair of "prescription" glasses after using readers for the last five years. It seems like the cost is based on your prescription.

My wife has worn glasses her whole life and took me to her eye doctor this last visit. We paid $300 for both prescriptions,which sounds high. The doctor gave me what he called computer glasses because I told him I wasn't going to wear them all the time, just for desk work.

At Walmart my lenses averaged $37 each with the second pair discount, I wanted to get the $9 frames like my readers but DW wouldn't let me. With Helen's astigmatism her lenses were $125 each.

Chippendale

Maybe I'll get cut back to a lesser correction if I get past the "pucker factor" and get the cataracts taken care of.

John:

If the term "pucker factor" is the same as "fear", get it done. A cataract operation these days is the same as a walk in the park. I have had 3 eye operations, one was to repair a macular hole, and it was the worse, but not really bad. The two cataract operations were no pain at all, walked in and walked out.

Plus, talk to your doctor, there are all different types of lens that you can get implanted. You will either end up not wearing glasses at all or a very reduced prescription. The reason I have to wear glasses now is because I use the macular eye for distant vision and my right eye for close up. The macular hole did not heal properly and it is real hard to read signs at a distance. So when I drive, I wear glasses that give my right eye distance vision. Lately I have noticed my close up vision for small print is getting weaker, so that is why I was having my lens updated. I picked up my lens today and appear good to go for another couple of years or so.

After reading all the posts, I guess the $455 they charged me is fairly normal. Thanks everyone for sharing.

George Speir

JohnDar

Yeah, I've read and been told that cataract surgery is pretty easy. Still doesn't make the thought of somebody sticking a knife in my eye any more attractive.

Chippendale

I guess when they get bad enough you will either have to have it done or train Max or Allie as "seeing eye" cats. And when it is over, you will wonder why you waited so long. On my last one, I remember talking to the doctor while they were getting ready and then waking up in another room with a patch on my eye. I wore it until the next morning when he took it off. Then I had to put drops in my eye for a week or two, but that was all. The best part is how much better you can see afterwards.

JohnDar

Ha, those two furballs would lead me over a cliff to get the insurance money. Keep 'em in tuna and catnip forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk