Not the quality and service we were expecting

HEH458

Codycarver, we'll have to agree to disagree. Go to any rv forum and you'll see many posts about problems. Then, the next thing you'll read is owners saying they all have problems. Doesn't matter what brand or what price range.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I look back at our 7 years of ownership of our Heartlands, you can say we've had issues, too. I could write a book. Nobody goes out and buys a rig expecting to have problems. We think it's like buying a car. Well, it's a whole lot more like buying a manufactured home (think assembly-line). And with that, comes a disconnect in the expectations.

I now approach owning an RV with expectation of issues that may come up. While lately I see others would rather put on a blindfold and then whine about this and that, and then threaten other owners and the manufacturer with inflammatory comments. Just because this is a forum on the web, doesn't mean you can't be civil and respectful. Also, people come here looking for HELP, to get back to CAMPING and ENJOYING, not hearing about all the "wrongs" that have happened. No one said "RVing is easy! Just get it and go!" No, quite the contrary. Every time someone comes looking at RVs, we advise to do a thorough PDI. We also have owner-written guides to help with common problems. I and many come here looking to HELP, not to BASH.

Those that want to make forum "nasty" for everyone because of their personal situation, please go somewhere else.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Codycarver, we'll have to agree to disagree. Go to any rv forum and you'll see many posts about problems. Then, the next thing you'll read is owners saying they all have problems. Doesn't matter what brand or what price range.

I guess we're getting caught up in semantics. If your definition of a "problem" is a loose door hinge or a leaking water line than I suppose you can find problems with any of them. That is not my definition. I expect to have to maintain my trailer.

My point through this entire thread has been IF you do your do diligence with a proper PDI and follow through with regular inspection, maintenance, repair and replacement of worn out parts you will go along way to being a happy camper.

In my experience RVing is very much a hands on activity. If you don't want to do that it may be worth finding another activity.

Hunter11

I now approach owning an RV with expectation of issues that may come up. While lately I see others would rather put on a blindfold and then whine about this and that, and then threaten other owners and the manufacturer with inflammatory comments. Just because this is a forum on the web, doesn't mean you can't be civil and respectful. Also, people come here looking for HELP, to get back to CAMPING and ENJOYING, not hearing about all the "wrongs" that have happened. No one said "RVing is easy! Just get it and go!" No, quite the contrary. Every time someone comes looking at RVs, we advise to do a thorough PDI. We also have owner-written guides to help with common problems. I and many come here looking to HELP, not to BASH.

Those that want to make forum "nasty" for everyone because of their personal situation, please go somewhere else.

Erika,

I certainly hope your post was not directed at me or my post. I feel like I have been nothing but civil and respectful in my post on this forum considering what we have been through in the last 8 months. I have made positive helpful post as well as posting about the many issues, some major with our unit. Were our expectations high when we bought our Landmark, of course they were considering what we paid for it. We did a very thorough PDI as this is not our first rodeo but our issues started after a 1700 mile trip home with it. Are we frustrated and second guessing our purchase, you bet we are but I have refrained from bashing Heartland on this forum and any of the other major RV forums. Trust me I have come close a couple of times and have proof to back it up but I didn't. We would love get back to "CAMPING and ENJOYING" like we have in our past units but we have got to get the issues worked out of our unit first. If this forum is nothing but happy, happy joy,joy post and people like me and not going to be tolerated to voice our frustration and issues then I will be more than willing to ride off into the sunset and not worry about it. There are other venues. So if I am the one that ruffled your feathers or anyone else I am sorry but we have issues we are trying to get worked out and yes sometimes I will voice my opinion. As I said before, we have done everything we can do to stay positive through all our issues and venting here has helped from time to time.

I have always stated in my post that Heartland has stepped up to the plate so far and taken care of our issues but poor Q/C has cost both them and us a lot of money.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika,

I certainly hope your post was not directed at me or my post. I feel like I have been nothing but civil and respectful in my post on this forum considering what we have been through in the last 8 months. I have made positive helpful post as well as posting about the many issues, some major with our unit. Were our expectations high when we bought our Landmark, of course they were considering what we paid for it. We did a very thorough PDI as this is not our first rodeo but our issues started after a 1700 mile trip home with it. Are we frustrated and second guessing our purchase, you bet we are but I have refrained from bashing Heartland on this forum and any of the other major RV forums. Trust me I have come close a couple of times and have proof to back it up but I didn't. We would love get back to "CAMPING and ENJOYING" like we have in our past units but we have got to get the issues worked out of our unit first. If this forum is nothing but happy, happy joy,joy post and people like me and not going to be tolerated to voice our frustration and issues then I will be more than willing to ride off into the sunset and not worry about it. There are other venues. So if I am the one that ruffled your feathers or anyone else I am sorry but we have issues we are trying to get worked out and yes sometimes I will voice my opinion. As I said before, we have done everything we can do to stay positive through all our issues and venting here has helped from time to time.

I have always stated in my post that Heartland has stepped up to the plate so far and taken care of our issues but poor Q/C has cost both them and us a lot of money.

Probably not where I should have posted, and I apologize. You have been civil and you are allowed to voice frustration. It's folks who don't come to your aid, but choose your post to rant on THEIR own predicament, that I was frustrated about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverRhino

We are very happy with our decision to purchase our 2010 BC, as I have stated many times. This forum is one of the best things about owning a Heartland.

I have learned a great deal about care and use of a 5th wheel RV here and that is what keeps me coming back. Like any forum you will find on the internet, you have to use some common sense when using it. There are always those that are wanting to "bash" a product or member......and those that are just blindly loyal with nothing ever being wrong. Like any story, there are two sides and somewhere in between lies the truth. I just try and filter through the posts, keep my emotions out of the equation and my mind open so that I can learn.

I, for one, appreciate that the monitors keep close track of the forum. All of us have different experiences and ideas, but we are all here to exchange information and learn from each other. I want to here the good and bad about the products represented, but we all have to remember to do it in such a manner that we all can learn from the posts.

I have a 3160EL that I will be picking up around the end of the month. Reading this gives me almost as much dread as excitement.

'Lil Guy'

I have a 3160EL that I will be picking up around the end of the month. Reading this gives me almost as much dread as excitement.
I think I would be rather excited about taking delivery of your new unit. Expect some minor issues and have them fixed at delivery time. I think the real problems you read about here are not the norm. Just a few of the many that got out. We have had no issues to speak of on our two Heartland units. Enjoy your new rig and post back after your take delivery.

Trust me I am very excited. Im making a huge step up in trailers. Going from a 2011 25ft Cougar that has a hard life in the oilfield to this brand new 36 foot unit. It is leaps and bounds nicer and should be an amazing trailer. I just worry about warranty issues cause any time the trailer is in the shop is time the trailer isnt making money. Talking with my local dealer he is confident that any minor issues can be fixed in the field. I guess time will tell, I think my delivery date is 4/27 so I guess I will find out then.

I think I would be rather excited about taking delivery of your new unit. Expect some minor issues and have them fixed at delivery time. I think the real problems you read about here are not the norm. Just a few of the many that got out. We have had no issues to speak of on our two Heartland units. Enjoy your new rig and post back after your take delivery.

Also I searched and could not find a PDI form on here, Does anyone have a link to one? My dealer said he wanted 3 days to PDI the unit after he gets it but it never hurts for me to have a look as well.

jbeletti

Also I searched and could not find a PDI form on here, Does anyone have a link to one? My dealer said he wanted 3 days to PDI the unit after he gets it but it never hurts for me to have a look as well.

Here's a link to a Wiki article with links to a few PDI forms.

Your own PDI, depending on how exhaustive you want it to be, could take a couple hours to an entire day. Having the dealer take 3-days is great to hear. If you spend the better part of a day doing yours, then let the dealer spend the next day knocking out your punch list - it's a great thing. Even better is when you can stay nearby for a couple days, getting moved in and using everything, then going back to the dealer with a punchlist.

Oregon_Camper

While not an official Heartland PDI, you can grab the one off my page using the link in my signature. If done right, this PDI will take you about 4 hours and will help you find potential issues. When I did our PDI on our 3160EL about 2 months ago, I found about 15 things that needed attention...this was AFTER the dealer did their PDI. Small stuff...but still needed to be fixed. If you email me, I will send you a word document (with pictures) of the issues I found.

Oregon Camper, I sent you a pm with my email. I would very much like to see what you found, esp since it is the same model trailer. Im looking threw both the links for PDIs. Should give me a good ides on what I need to look for. The way its looking I will be picking it up and then going straight back to work with it. Im thinking I may just do a quick one at the dealer making sure the major stuff(slides, fridge, AC/heater) are working and then spend the next 3 weeks on the job doing a good PDI on my own. Thanks for all the help and info.

danemayer

Oregon Camper, I sent you a pm with my email. I would very much like to see what you found, esp since it is the same model trailer. Im looking threw both the links for PDIs. Should give me a good ides on what I need to look for. The way its looking I will be picking it up and then going straight back to work with it. Im thinking I may just do a quick one at the dealer making sure the major stuff(slides, fridge, AC/heater) are working and then spend the next 3 weeks on the job doing a good PDI on my own. Thanks for all the help and info.

Hi Brian,

Dealers have a lot going on as camping season gets started. If you do the PDI and ask to have everything corrected before you sign the papers, pay, and take the trailer off the lot, the dealer will be highly motivated to put you at top of list and fix everything immediately. Once you sign, pay and leave, you may find yourself in a completely different situation. Most dealers will ask you to drop the trailer off for service without any promises on turnaround time.

BLHFUN

Hi Brian,

Dealers have a lot going on as camping season gets started. If you do the PDI and ask to have everything corrected before you sign the papers, pay, and take the trailer off the lot, the dealer will be highly motivated to put you at top of list and fix everything immediately. Once you sign, pay and leave, you may find yourself in a completely different situation. Most dealers will ask you to drop the trailer off for service without any promises on turnaround time.

Could not agree more. Very tempting to leave with the trailer and return for service later. Strongly suggest you follow Dans suggestion. Worth the extra few days to wait.

bob34787

So we custom ordered our Big Country at the end of 2014. They gave us a date for pick up but of course when we get a week out they push it back....3 times. Finally we pick it up, on our way to sign final paperwork we notice all our hydraulic lines are about to explode...another delay. We finally get to our first destination and the hydraulics ruptured again, pocket door to bathroom broke, sink leaks, hoses need to be redone under the RV and the arm that holds the under storage bed is broken. You would think heartland would be in a hurry to help us out but they keep giving us the run around with part delivery time and NEVER CALL US BACK when they say they will. I'm 1 month in on my brand new Big Country but I know my next RV will be a DRV.

although I am a huge fan of DRV remember Heartland now owns them

teasac69

I'm only repeating what has already been said very well........

I'm in my 60's, owned every type of RV you can name, type, size, style, motorhome, popup, 5ther, you get the picture. Terry, Coachman, Coleman, Alpenlite, and more. I've never owned an RV that didn't have some minor issues, they are afterall a MOBILE unit and take a lot of abuse just rolling over the highways. However, I can tell you at this point, my BH3875 is the finest rig I've ever owned, beauty, construction, equipment, comfort, style, function, capacity, etc. My dealer has done an excellent job of dealing with my PDI through to a very minor warranty job (ID'd by them in my PDI) that I was tardy in getting in and they called me to say when can you bring me your rig and let me fix that for you???

You can spend $5k or $5 million on an RV and have a variety of experiences. I am very sorry yours has been unpleasant but I can assure you it is NOT typical of Heartland RVs to have those problems and going to a DRV won't erase that possibility either.