novice RVer

Rriver

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Bighorn 3160 EL Fifth Wheel. My question is does the fifth wheel have to be level in order to extend the slides? We are new to the slide and never extend them until our automatic leveling system say the fifth wheel is level. There may be on occasion a need to extend them when the coach is not level. Will this damage the coach or slides if extended on uneven ground? Any reply would be helpful. Thanks Ron:rolleyes: We really like our Bighorn, verry comfortable

sengli

The general answer would be, yes.... you should be level before extending the slides. I have put the slides out before, with the coach not being perfectly leveled, but in theory you supposed to be, due to frame flex of the coach. That flexing could change the clearance of the slides in their openings in the sides of the unit, and cause then to catch, or be damaged.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you just need to get access to the 5'ver just put the slides out enough to get through the trailer.

When my slides are in the two big ones come to within an inch of the kitchen island on both sides...can't even open the fridge unless I put the kitchen slide out about a foot.

That won't hurt anything.

I do that a lot while traveling when stopping for a lunch break.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I would not recommend deploying the slides if your rig is not level. We have on occasion extended them in a parking lot, ie flat surface, but we would never feel comfortable extending them until the rig is level otherwise.

Rriver

My wife and I have a front pin stabilizer for our new 3160 EL Bighorn. I used it on our ALPHA for 30 years. Who keeps their fiver for 30 years?? ME! My question is what is the proper way to go about using the front pin stabilizer with the automatic leveling system? The ALPHA didn't have one. Anyway, the stabilizer has a flat plate and chains that tighten when one drops the pin on the stabilizer. It does not screw up and down. There needs to be some weight on the pin in order for it to work properly. Do I just adjust the stabilizer to the coach and then hit the automatic leveling system or is there a trick to it? Any help would be appreciated. Ron

jnbhobe

I would throw the tripod away you don't need it anymore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I have the stabilizer that has the litle foot jacks on each leg. It does make a big difference in stability. I would think you could go to quto level nd level your rig. Once level addust your tripod to be just high of the pin where it rests. Then, go to the raise and lower toggle on your front outside wall and jog it up a tad, install your tripod and then lower it a bit back to it's original position.
I used to read about the tripods not being needed and didn't use one for a long time. It does make a big difference as to movement on our rig and I will continue to use it.