odor when using tank flush

ADIRKS30

Whenever I dump my black tank and use the tank flush, my entire 5th wheel gets a serious sewer odor in it. If I just dump it and don't use the tank flush it doesn't do it nearly as bad. Any ideas why?

jbeletti

Just a guess, but there could be something wrong with the tank vent.

When simply emptying the tank, air is drawn into the tank from the roof vent.

When you are flushing the tank and the tank valve is closed, water is displacing the air in the tank. Typically, the air goes up and out the roof vent. In your case, maybe that air is leaking from the system and finding it's way into the coach.

A simple place to start is the mushroom cap vents on the roof. Take a screwdriver up with you and take the cap off the vent. Look down inside and see if the 1-1/2" vent pipe has slipped down into the roof or if it still meets the vent cap.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do you have the A/C on or any of the roof fans on while you are flushing? Personally, I never leave the valve open when flushing. I fill the tank with the "spritzer", turn it off, then pull the plug so to speak. It normally takes 3-4 times to get clear water running out. I'm not in the coach....but DW has never complained about any oder......and trust me she would.