Off-Roading in Cyclone 4000...clearance issues???

hjons

Im new to rv-ing...but experienced in trailering. Looking to buy 2013 cy4000 elite...of all trailers we looked at we (that includes my wife amazingly enough!!!) loved it...perfect for fam of 5 with "lots o stuff". Im ready to ink the deal...BUT im concerned with 1) bed rail and toolbox clearance, 2) high-center clearance over high/steep grades, and 3) rear end clearance through low crossings. We will be using trailer in VERY remote off-road area that has many high cattleguard and railroad embanked ccrossings and several low water type crossings. Im pulling with 2012 f350 6.7L PS 4x4 SRW LWB with headache rack, 100 gal L-shaped fuel tank, RK toolbox, and steel tube bed rails...all of which i would REALLY like to keep as we will be only part-time rv-ers. Steel bed rails are about 3.5" taller than bed (about 60" total height above ground versus top of factory bed at about 56.5"). However this height can change bc truck has airbags. Toolbox is 5" taller than bed and sits 5 feet away from tailgate. Truck has ford factory OEM prep package. With this setup im looking to increase hitch height and/or trailer chassy height...ive looked at sliders, spacers, flipped axle setups, lifts, etc...overwhelmed. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks
hugh

danemayer

Hi hjons,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great group of friendly and helpful people.

If I understand you, your rails are pretty low compared to stock bed rails, and the toolbox is also pretty low. That's good since in odd configurations, you need a lot of clearance - 6" would be minimal.

A 4000 Elite at 18,000 pounds and pin weight >3200 will probably put you into a moderate overloading condition on the truck. Many people here would say that you need a dually for these large toy haulers.

I can't comment on the rest, but I'm pretty sure you'll get some other responses soon.

scottyb

I think your worst problem will be exiting a creek crossing or low area. The back of the trailer is very high, but it hangs way out there. They dont' seem to have clearance problems going over anything reasonable. I recently came back from Big Bend where I was hoping to scout out a remote campsite that I visited with my grandparents when I was young. I was astonished at what I saw and amazed at the places they took their TT. There was no way I would even attempt that with the Cyclone. If you got stuck or couldn't go any further, you would have had to back up for miles, with no place to turn around. I started with a 3500 SRW but quickly learned that i was severely overloading the rear axle and tires. It was pretty scary, even in a moderate crosswind. It tows 10x better with the DRW.