Officially moving to Tennessee!

FiremanBill

Well folks the time has come. I'll be pulling out of here this coming Sunday morning for my new job as the Emergency Communications Manager for the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Gatlinburg.

While we are looking for a house they set me up with a spot in Cades Cove for the Cyclone. Will be living there for a couple of months while my wife finishes up the school year here in Virginia. What a cool place to call home for a while.:D

Hoping to make the rally in Nashville this fall!

So glad to finally be coming home for good!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome to the Volunteer State. How much orange to you have in your closest? Congratulations on your new position working for the National Park Services. Let us know if you need anything in that we are only about 45 minutes away.
Byrd

mmomega

AnyTimer
Wait till you see the lightning bugs up there in June!
We rented a big cabin for the family last June most of the kids were absolutely amazed.
Beautiful country in the Gatlinburg, Sevierville area.

Take a trip down the Tail of the Dragon too, that is one windy road, I wouldn't do it with trailer in tow. Also the Dam from The Fugitive movie is right there also.

FiremanBill

Welcome to the Volunteer State. How much orange to you have in your closest? Congratulations on your new position working for the National Park Services. Let us know if you need anything in that we are only about 45 minutes away.
Byrd

My blood runs DEEP ORANGE! I was born in East Tennessee and will always be a Volunteer. I am coming home after 33 years, 5 months, and 4 days with the United States Air Force.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

jbeletti

Welcome to Tennessee! What a great area you're moving too.

I guess it's time for you to learn the lyrics to one of the 10 official State of Tennessee Songs - Rocky Top :)

Looking through these and watching the Osborne Brothers video of it (the first group to record it), I guess I never really knew all the words.

Rocky Top
Adopted in 1982. By Boudleaux and Felice Bryant.

First Verse
Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top,
down in the Tennessee hills;
Ain’t no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top;
Ain’t no telephone bills;
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top;
Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that;

Second Verse
Once two strangers climbed ol’ Rocky Top,
lookin’ for a moonshine still;
Strangers ain’t come down from Rocky Top;
Reckon they never will;
Corn won’t grow at all on Rocky Top;
Dirt’s too rocky by far;
That’s why all the folks on Rocky Top
get their corn from a jar;

Third Verse
I’ve had years of cramped-up city life
Trapped like a duck in a pen;
All I know is it’s a pity life
Can’t be simple again

Chorus
Rocky Top, you’ll always be
home sweet home to me;
Good ol’ Rocky Top;
Rocky Top, Tennessee;
Rocky Top, Tennessee

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We moved from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to Central Tennessee (Cookeville area). Bought home in October, left for Texas for a few months, and now we call Tennessee home. We are now back in Tennessee to make our house a home..:D

FiremanBill

Does anyone have a good idea for a quick cheap overnight stop around the Knoxville area. I'll be getting in Sunday afternoon and won't be able to go on up and get into the Cove until Monday.

Kbvols

Bill

So glad you got an opportunity to go back home. Tennessee is just a great place. We are not originally from TN however moved there immediately after college lived there almost 15 years and have been gone almost 20 but still consider it home. Plan to go back some day.

guyc66

Well folks the time has come. I'll be pulling out of here this coming Sunday morning for my new job as the Emergency Communications Manager for the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Gatlinburg.

While we are looking for a house they set me up with a spot in Cades Cove for the Cyclone. Will be living there for a couple of months while my wife finishes up the school year here in Virginia. What a cool place to call home for a while.:D

Hoping to make the rally in Nashville this fall!

So glad to finally be coming home for good!

Congrats on your new job in TN.....awesome place! My friends are selling their log home near Douglas Lake in Kodak, TN. If interested, PM me and I will send you the MLS info.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Congratulations Bill and Kelly, so glad for you but with mixed emotions with you leaving Virginia. Byrd and Nathan, you will be picking up a fantastic, warm, and beautiful couple in your Tennessee Chapter.
I know you will love your time living in Cades Cove, and you are a natural for your position with the National Park Service. Best wishes to you, and we hope to see you both as we will try to make the Nashville rally, Byrd and Nathan really know how to "put it on!" Always a great time.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Eric and Dorothy - ya'll really know how to build someone up - hope we don't fail. We are excited about Bill and Kelly coming to the Smoky Mountains and working in the National Park Services system. After Bill gets settled in, we will try to get together will him and anticipate Kelly arrival following soon after when school is out.

Bill - you have my phone number if you need anything.

Byrd

FiremanBill

I am finally getting around to posting an update, sorry it has taken so long! I spent the first week in Cades Cove and as beautiful as it is the 50+ minute drive up, over, around, and down the mountain to work was something to behold...

They managed to get me a spot in Elkmont after the first week which is MUCH closer and just as nice as the Cove as far as the camping arrangements. I am in one of the CG host sites until May 9th and it has full hookups so that is nice as well. I call it the dark side of the moon as there is no wifi, cell service or TV at all for that matter other than DVD's and such. I'll have to be honest and say that it is nice. The peace and quiet is something I have not experienced for a really long time and it did not take long to get used to. I had to go to some training at the Big South Fork natl recreation area and I did not turn the TV on the entire 3 days I was at the hotel.

So, 35 days now living in my Cyclone and it is getting more comfortable all the time. I've been in it long enough now to know what works where and why it seems silly now that I put certain things where we did before. Funny how a little more time in your rig works like that.

As far as the job goes I had an expectation, more of a dream really, about how this job was going to be. My bar was set really high and I was expecting it to be perfect. I can honestly say that it is all that and more. I have not "worked" a day since I got here. I absolutely love it and it is all I dreamed of and more, WAY more.

I actually work in a log cabin... it just doesn't get any better than this!

Attachments

• cabin.jpg
    cabin.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 25