Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

Jim_Bob

I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.

Good luck with the call

wehavefun

The additional money is due to height, anything over 12 feet I believe gets a higher rate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jim_Bob

It turns out it's height but it's 7'6" as measured over the 2nd axle. Why 7'6" I have no idea. That catches our 5'er by about an inch maybe on the front cap too far forward. I might have them come out with a tape measure and show me. If they get me with an extended pin box, they must get lots of 5'ers.

I want to find out if the OT intended to catch 5'ers or they just screwed up. Probably incompetence. I'm retired. I have lots of time to call and b*tch. And I have time to waste at the toll booth. It's the principal of the thing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's that extra wheel (the 5th one) they're charging for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram_1955

I was curios about this and had time so did some research. It looks to me that the difference is that the truck towing a travel trailer is considered low because it's height over the first 2 axles, the whole truck is below 7'6". This is a class 3. They don't measure height after the second axle.
Now a fifth wheel is over the second axle and is of course over 7'6" so the vehicle is considered high and is a different class and if you have a 2 axle fifth wheel you are a class 4. My RoadWarrior with 3 axles would be a class 5 because the total axles is 5.
if anybody ever hears me say I am going to take the Ohio turnpike please kick me hard right in the sitdown.

Sarge

It turns out it's height but it's 7'6" as measured over the 2nd axle. Why 7'6" I have no idea. That catches our 5'er by about an inch maybe on the front cap too far forward. I might have them come out with a tape measure and show me. If they get me with an extended pin box, they must get lots of 5'ers.

I want to find out if the OT intended to catch 5'ers or they just screwed up. Probably incompetence. I'm retired. I have lots of time to call and b*tch. And I have time to waste at the toll booth. It's the principal of the thing.

You are making the mistake of trying to apply common sense to purely political decisions -

Which are basically legislated opinions devoid of any actual factual data.....

Sarge

Jim_Bob

You are making the mistake of trying to apply common sense to purely political decisions -

Which are basically legislated opinions devoid of any actual factual data.....

Sarge

I'm afraid you are correct.

Common sense isn't that common, especially in gummint.