Ok here's a question for the experienced campers.

PeternLiane

I am getting transferred to Grand Junction CO. I will have to be there from September 22nd through March 31st (maybe longer). The Cheapest way to go is to take and live in our 22FBS. It'll just be me on the week nights. Which is the best option - add heat tape to the pipes and heat blankets to the tanks or to buy skirting to enclose the bottom for winter? We only have enough money to do one for now.

danemayer

Re: Ok heres a question for the experienced campers.

Peter and Liane,

It's no contest. Skirting will help a lot, but when temps drop far enough, it won't protect your tanks and water lines from freezing. You have to have tank heaters and if you want running water, you'll need heat tape. You'll also need to decide if you want to run off your fresh tank, filling as needed and putting the hose away, or using a heated water hose. Also, your gate valves may freeze. If they're easily accessed, you can probably thaw them with a hair dryer when you need to operate them. Otherwise, you should consider valve heaters.

Plan on running a heat lamp over the water pump/plumbing area and if you have a Universal Docking Center (UDC), hang a drop light there to keep the water connection from freezing.

Plan on running the furnace a lot. You'll also want to have at least 1 ceramic disc heater for additional heat.

If the park allows it, you may be able to construct inexpensive skirting out of wood or other building material.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

If you can find them, get 2 - 150w light bulbs put them in a large (about 6") diameter reflector and put them in your basement. You would not believe how much heat the light bulbs will put out to help keep the basement area a bit warmer. I use them when I stay in Dallas and the temp gets down in the mid twentys. Now this is not a fix but it does help.

BC

PeternLiane

Thank you for your answers. We don't have a UDC. However we do have something close. I will have to see how I can add a light where the water comes into the trailer. We will be adding the heat tape and the blankets to the tank. Are the low point drains going to be an issue? We'll also be adding heat tape to the valves. What else should I be aware of?

danemayer

Are the low point drains going to be an issue?
Since the drain valves are exposed to outside air, so is the water immediately above the valve. That water will freeze first and if there's a tee above the drain, the ice may wick its way up and block the tee.

alaska dodge

The biggest thing is keep the wind and cold from going under your RV. I full time it in Alaska and have been in as cold as -30F. The light bulbs will also help, the other important thing is insulating the main water that connects up to your RV. Most things can be purchased at home depot, but find out what the park will allow.Bill

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Peter, yes the low point drains will be the hardest. We wrapped ours in foam, and still had freezing because they hung below the underbelly. Like mentioned, a skirt would be a really good idea. After the freezing trip, ee added the heat pads To lines and Fresh tank. We also eliminated the low point drains except for the fresh tank. For that fresh tank drain, we made adjustments so that the valve was inside the underbelly, and added a flexible hose after the valve instead. We wrapped it all in foam and tucked it inside the belly. we have an access flap sealed with duct tape and marked if we need to get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeternLiane

We'll have to see what we can do with the low point drains. Should I add anything to the pipes that run along the back wall that feed the bathroom sink, toilet and shower? The good thing is, is that they will supply the heated insulated water supply to the trailer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think you'll have to see what the underbelly looks like, and where your heating vent is dumping into the belly. Anything you can do to insulate or add heat to pipes is a good thing. In the wall, I'm not sure what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
You might even think of using Hay Bales the long ones as they are cheap and if the campground will let you use them you can donate them to the campground when you leave. They are excellent wind blockers and provide a lot of insulation.

PeternLiane

I hear that the hay bales are some of the best for insulation. But I would really worry about mice. I'll have to try plywood or something like that.

I'm pulling the waterlines off of the frame and am going to wrap them too. I'm keeping the low point drains but will shorten them. That way they will be inside the underbelly to keep them warmer. I will have an access door to get to them when I need to.

Rickhansen

Another issue to contend with is condensation on the interior walls. Make sure you run a vent fan when cooking or showering to get excessive moisture out. If you have sufficient AC power, a small dehumidifier cuts down on the humidity and adds some heat to the interior. The condensation has been known to form between your mattress and where it contacts the headboard/wall, or anywhere you do not have warm air contacting the wall.

I have also installed plastic heat shrink film over my windows, kept the day/night shades pulled down to minimize draftiness, and run a small fan to keep the floor warmer.

Buy a good pair of slippers.