onan 5500 leaking oil

surreyboy

hey , i know this is pretty vague , just wondering if there are some things i can do or check , maybe someone else had this happen....i got a 2009 3950 & the on board onan has about 500 hrs on it....it runs great but leaks a lot or oil... very tough to see where its coming from with the thing being so compact...i keep an eye on it but still would like to see if i can fix this problem....

thanks for any input

LBR

You hadn't posted that you checked the filter and drain for tightness, so I personally would start there.

surreyboy

You hadn't posted that you checked the filter and drain for tightness, so I personally would start there.

yes,i never did check the filter & drain plug ,i will definatley do that , i am going to change the oil & filter next week ,so when i do , i will pay attention to those areas....it for sure is not coming from the valve covers or anything high.....so hopefully that will fix it

thanks

carl.swoyer

My 07 Onan 5500lp leaks . When you open the access door theirs an oily residue. Took it to Onan under warranty they changed some seals , never really went away. Occasionally I will get a white puff of smoke on start up. They said , that was the oils from the propane. ? I believe that the oil I see is not a problem as I check the level and it's ok.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

surreyboy

So I did an oil change along with filter & I notice it still leaks...very tough to tell where it's coming from , I did check the filter & the drain plug , both are tight.....