Onan Generator Start/Run Problem

RTSchacht

Rick & Terri
Hello Fellow Generator Owners,

5500 Marques Gold Unit

The unit started last week and ran just fine for about 15 minutes to make sure it made the winter storage. Ran great, no problems.. until I tried to make sure it ran again this week and test it out to exercise it. Unit started, ran about 5 minutes then shut off.

Tried to restart, pressed the prime button, and a loud "Clicking"... like a small machine gun.... sound came from the generator area but the unit turned over and tried to start once I push the start button. Puzzled, I checked to see if the fuel pump was pumping fuel. I sprayed carb cleaner into the unit while trying to start and the unit stays running as along as I keep spraying cleaner into the carb. Removed the fuel supply hose and checked for output fuel, fuel pressure. No fuel pressure. Replaced the fuel pump.... same story. No fuel, fuel pressure but the clicking keeps making noise but no start, obviously, as no fuel getting to the carb.

Any ideas?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Pinched fuel line or it's sucking air ??
Is it a gas unit with the tank all the way to the rear of the RV ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

How much fuel is in your tank? At about 5 gals the genny will no longer draw fuel from the tank.

porthole

Retired
I would start with making sure you have a full tank, add a full can of Sea Foam to it.

And every time I put fuel in the trailer I add a marine grade stabilizer with ethanol stabilizer - every time.

Next, I would suggest taking a look at the Onan link in my signature.

RTSchacht

Rick & Terri
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.... I checked my pump output, nothing, checked the filter -clean and ready- Checked the voltage going to the pump, -solid 12VDC- and yes, even made sure there was fuel in the tank.... :D

Why isn't it getting fuel to run?..... I got the air hose to make sure there wasn't a plugged fuel line/blockage of some type. Took the air hose nosel and placed on fuel line and pressed some air into it....

Instantly I hear air and smell fuel, it's running out the bottom of the camper..... found my problem.

Take a look at the fuel line that was wedged behind the generator..... going to do some mod's and put in a shut off valve, make it easier to drain/clean the carb for winter storage......

Thanks fellas for the suggestions,

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 36

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.... I checked my pump output, nothing, checked the filter -clean and ready- Checked the voltage going to the pump, -solid 12VDC- and yes, even made sure there was fuel in the tank.... :D

Why isn't it getting fuel to run?..... I got the air hose to make sure there wasn't a plugged fuel line/blockage of some type. Took the air hose nosel and placed on fuel line and pressed some air into it....

Instantly I hear air and smell fuel, it's running out the bottom of the camper..... found my problem.

Take a look at the fuel line that was wedged behind the generator..... going to do some mod's and put in a shut off valve, make it easier to drain/clean the carb for winter storage......

Thanks fellas for the suggestions,

Rick
Glad you found it Rick
You should be good to go now.

Happy trails
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk