Onan on the road

Petenater

Well, I am a new 5th wheel owner and was wondering if anyone uses the Onan while in tow? We will have our dogs in the back at times and I would like to run the air-conditioner and was hoping this was doable..
Also adding rear backup and internal cameras and 2-way communicator...Advise?

08 Toy Hauler 3912

danemayer

Hi Petenater,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure some of them will chime in with their thoughts.

avvidclif

Although I've never done it (rig too new). I have heard of folks running the genny and AC while traveling. I wouldn't hesitate to do it but if my dog was back there I would have a baby monitor or something mounted next to the CO detector so I would know if there was a problem with CO from the genny. It sure would ruin a trip to arrive with a cold RV and a dead dog.

szewczyk_john

I have used the fantastic fan in the garage area while towing on hot days to provide circulation and air flow but not the genny and air. The fantastic fans move alot of air. Just another thought.

TxCowboy

Before putting your pets in the RV while traveling, get one or two inexpensive temperature and humidity monitors that records highs and lows over the past 24 hours and do a few tests in the peak heat of the day. You want to know how warm it gets back there with the AC and/or vent fans running before you actually put the pets into that situation.

Even though my two dogs don't ride in the RV while traveling, I bought the item at this link from Amazon and use it to monitor the interior temps and humidity while camping. I want neither the hounds nor the humans to be exposed to extremes. They run about $10. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K8RF10?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Ladiver

We have travelled with dogs in back, gen running and air conditioning on. There were no issues. We did have a remote temp gauge, so we could monitor from the truck. Never thought about CO monitoring.

Sometimes, even without the dogs back there, we fire up the a/c about an hour before arriving at our destination.

We have since moved the dogs to the back seat of the truck. They never really liked riding in the trailer. I can only imagine it is a rough ride. Even though they were always crated, they just never seemed as happy as when they ride in the truck with us.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know about you but I would not want to ride in the trailer when it is being towed nor would I want anyone in my 'family' riding there. I just cannot imagine how rough it would be and without being able to see where you are going or when a stop is occuring serious things might happen. Even a crated animal would be at risk IMHO. As far as running the generator while traveling down the road, many motor home do it all the time. I don't see where that would be a problem except for the unnecessary use of the fuel for the genny.

Petenater

Thank you guys for all of the advise. I really did not think the ride was to bad, but I have never been back there, yet. I do have a good temp and CO meter to monitor and I am sure the pups will be riding with us generally and depending on the results, always... Good to know that I can run the Gen to prep or just keep things cool

Again, thanks!

Pete and Penny

Petenater

Great idea on the fan, thanks...

2007 Dodge Ram3500 Quad Cab
2008 3912 Cyclone

Pete, Penny, 4 travel buddies, Cory, Chip, Conner and Josie...

szewczyk_john

When the crates are properly anchored to the floor they can not move around. Each crate has a bed inside and for the most part, the dogs just lay in the crate. As far as safety goes, I asked my vet ( who also camps in a pop up ) about this and she is of the opinion that the safest place for the dog is in a cage which is tied down to the floor. She prefers this over the seat belt mechanisms sold for use in the back seat. She claimed that she has seen many injuries caused from canines traveling in a backseat of a vehicle. I have a toy hauler and can simply attached ratcheting straps to the tie down points.

avvidclif

When the crates are properly anchored to the floor they can not move around. Each crate has a bed inside and for the most part, the dogs just lay in the crate. As far as safety goes, I asked my vet ( who also camps in a pop up ) about this and she is of the opinion that the safest place for the dog is in a cage which is tied down to the floor. She prefers this over the seat belt mechanisms sold for use in the back seat. She claimed that she has seen many injuries caused from canines traveling in a backseat of a vehicle. I have a toy hauler and can simply attached ratcheting straps to the tie down points.

Might I suggest next trip get in the garage and let your wife drive a few miles. The rear end is a bounce house, smoothest place is over axles.

szewczyk_john

By no means is it ideal. But I actually did ride in the garage with the dogs for a portion of a trip to experience it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. What I did say is that it is the safest method according to my vet. I do place the crate as close to the sliding door as I can to minimize the bounce. Everybody has their own way of doing things but I have seen the scars and damage from boxers that were ejected in crashes because people think it is a good idea to let Fido sit in the bed of a truck,the back seat, or on their lap.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Cudos to you for seeing what it is like riding where the dogs do. Just saying I would not want to ride there, but then again I wouldn't want to ride in a baggage compartment of an airplane either.:)

Ladiver

John, I completely agree with your vet. The absolute safest place for the animals is a secured cage. It the event of an accident, they are at least contained to that cage and not ejected from the vehicle. Another point to that, it is not just for the animals safety, but the passenger's safetly as well. A dog (even if only a few pounds) could be a deadly cannon ball to any people within the vehicle or trailer.

porthole

Retired
My human traveler has ridden in the trailer as long as 6+ hours so far. Sometimes with the genny and AC and sometimes with a portable 12 volt Fantastic Fan.
Based on the re-arrangement of things in the trailer while traveling over the years, I would guess anywhere from the axles forward would give the best ride, with the garage being the worse.

The AC's would do nothing for our garage, and it has never been empty enough for crates, so the dogs have their own bed in the truck.