Onan Propane Instead Of Gas.........

lwmcguir

Fuel choice might come down to how you plan to use the generator.

We use the 2 x 40# LP tanks that are standard on the rig to power the generator. Mostly it's for backup when there's a power outage. Last winter the town we were in lost power for about 6 hours. I think temps were in the 10-20 degree range, and the genny let us run the furnace without running down the batteries. Probably used a bit less than 1/2 a tank.

For that type of intermittent use, I think LP is probably the first choice. No worries about stale fuel or gummed up fuel lines, etc. Even when using the LP tanks to run the furnace, there's enough to spare for the generator.

If we were using it for boondocking on a regular basis, I might prefer gas since propane might not be available near the boondocking site, whereas gas is more likely to be available.
Certainly good advice all the way around. If someone wanted a back up supply we used to use a double flat 40 gallon propane tank kit that fit under the tool box. Used to be for a propane pickup. It had a gauge and the fill lines on the side. Worked well with a hose and quick connector to the generator. Still have it but don't need it currently.

MaxOwner

P1010450.jpg
[/IMG]

mmomega

AnyTimer
I've been on the fence between an LP or gas, I had an Onan 5500 gas in my last trailer and since it was a toy hauler it had the built in 25gal tank which made things easy, I filled up the trailer when I filled up the truck on the way to the park.

The KeyLargo is fully wired for a gen so it should just be as easy as dropping a new one into the front basement and adding fuel, which is where my dilemma comes in.

The times I would need to use the generator would be during the winter. Visiting the deer camp, Texas Motor Speedyway, etc so it will be cold out. I won't be running the A/C's but the furnace will be on along with TV's, lights, water heater. Since gas is much easier to get in the middle of the night if I ran out I am thinking this may be the better route for me to go but I'd still like to hear more from folks that may have had an LP and used them over long winter weekends. (2-4 days nights at a time).

I never had a problem with "old gas" or gummed up lines, that generator fired up every time I needed it too even after sitting for 4-5 months without being used. I kept fuel stabilizer in the tank and it just worked.

danemayer

I'd still like to hear more from folks that may have had an LP and used them over long winter weekends. (2-4 days nights at a time).
LP, Diesel, or Gas, a 5500 consumes a lot of fuel. Read post #10 below.

MaxOwner

I wish I could have made a gas gen work for us.

We got about 10.5 hours outta a tank. May not have been quite full.

Our set up down fall is getting the tanks out. A real pain in the hind end.

dbbls59

You won't be sorry you got the propane generator. I had on in my previous unit and never in 9 years did I have any problems. Never had to worry about the carb fouling up as I would have with a gas unit.

MaxOwner

On our portable gas generators I shut the supply of gas off (valve) and let it stall. Never had a problem with any of my gas items except my snowblower which doesn't have a shut off valve.