One night stand

WalkTheLine

So we're doing a 2 week road trip and will be stopping for the night multiple times. If we're just stopping for maybe 8-10 hours and it's level, do we need to unhitch the travel trailer from the hitch every time or is it safe to leave the trailer hitched up to the truck with the stabilizer jacks down and slides out? Will it be bad for the suspension, etc on the tow vehicle to have that weight on it all night or should we just take the extra 5 minutes and unhitch it every night?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
If we are on a lvl site we still put the jacks down while hooked up for stability. I also do not like putting the slides out if the gear is not down but I don't think it matters much.

jerryjay11

I have traveled from east coast to west, boondocking along the way. Even if I were staying at a campground overnight I leave the TT hooked to the truck. I don't deploy the jacks because on overnight stays I want to be on the road quickly. Since we only stop to eat, take dogs out, and sleep we don't mind the rocking. Putting jacks down will not only stabilize the TT it also removes weight from TV. Also I wouldn't extend my slide unless my jacks are deployed because of the stress it can place on the TT. Also the slide side will lean in that direction. When leveling our TT I set the slide side 1 inch higher, using a graduated level mounted on my frame, and once the slide is deployed the TT becomes level. I don't want to find out how far it will lean with the stabilizers. If you plan to boondock at Walmart be sure to ask if it is okay to deploy jacks and slides. Typically they don't allow this, but if you can park with the slide side out over a grass area maybe they be okay with it. Enjoy your trip!

Donhutch1800

I have traveled from east coast to west, boondocking along the way. Even if I were staying at a campground overnight I leave the TT hooked to the truck. I don't deploy the jacks because on overnight stays I want to be on the road quickly. Since we only stop to eat, take dogs out, and sleep we don't mind the rocking. Putting jacks down will not only stabilize the TT it also removes weight from TV. Also I wouldn't extend my slide unless my jacks are deployed because of the stress it can place on the TT. Also the slide side will lean in that direction. When leveling our TT I set the slide side 1 inch higher, using a graduated level mounted on my frame, and once the slide is deployed the TT becomes level. I don't want to find out how far it will lean with the stabilizers. If you plan to boondock at Walmart be sure to ask if it is okay to deploy jacks and slides. Typically they don't allow this, but if you can park with the slide side out over a grass area maybe they be okay with it. Enjoy your trip!
We have stayed at many wal-marts with all slides out and front jacks down .Never had anybody say anything.Seen many other people do the same thing.Far as weight off the truck it don't matter.

WalkTheLine

Awesome thanks. I will remember the tip about leveling 1” higher on slide side. That will certainly make it easier. Thanks again!

jerryjay11

Awesome thanks. I will remember the tip about leveling 1” higher on slide side. That will certainly make it easier. Thanks again!
That is 1 inch for my rig. May not be the same for yours. My point was to enlighten you on the effect of the slide deployed and leveling issue. You would have to check yours before and after deploying the slide.

jerryjay11

We have stayed at many wal-marts with all slides out and front jacks down .Never had anybody say anything.Seen many other people do the same thing.Far as weight off the truck it don't matter.

As I said, ask the manager first. Not all Walmarts have the same line of thought. As more and more RVers travel with rigs that have slides it may become the norm for Walmarts to allow deployed slides. For those of you that are aware of Walmart policies here is a link to the AllStays sight. https://www.allstays.com/Features/how-to-park-overnight-at-wal-mart/ Here you can find Walmarts that allow overnight stops, phone numbers, any particulars you may need to know about that store. Very handy app to add to you cell for the road. This is also where I am getting my references from.

Many Walmarts have dropped the practice of allowing overnighters because of misuse as well as some, due to local city codes are not able to offer the courtesy of overnight parking. It's always best to ask and not assume even though you may see others deploying slides it doesn't mean the manager isn't contemplating banning campers rather than confronting them in a parking lot. I too would like to be able to deploy my slide on our new TT as my bathroom isn't accessible from our bedroom. I would have to go out the bedroom door, squeeze around where my dinette table is to enter the BR. By then it may be too late.