one slide switch to individual slide switches??

was wondering if anybody has come across any info relating to converting from a single slide switch (operates all 3 slides at once) to individual slide switches. I am not a fan of having to run all three slides at one time. don't know if its possible or worth the cost to install all that may be necessary. any help is appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have a 2008, 3400RL.
In the battery compartment where the hydraulics are located there are three valves.
One for each slide.
You can operate each slide independently by closing the valves of the slides that you do not want to operate.
They should be labeled.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I understand the question, I don't think you can control the hydraulic operation of the slides separately via electric switches inside the coach. If you have a hydraulic manifold with valves in the pump compartment, then you could operate each one separately from there.

yes yall understand what im talking about. it is hard to describe. I know about the manifold in the battery compartment. however id like to have individual switches in the coach. jnbhobe do you figure this would be more intrusive than what its worth?

JohnDar

Just guessing, but I suppose you could relocate the manifold inside the coach by adding additional hydraulic lines. But the hydraulic valves are the key to operating the slides selectively. You're the judge as to whether or not it's worth it. I do mine from the battery compartment if I need to be selective.

jnbhobe

yes yall understand what im talking about. it is hard to describe. I know about the manifold in the battery compartment. however id like to have individual switches in the coach. jnbhobe do you figure this would be more intrusive than what its worth?

It can be done, its just plumbing and adding solinoids and wiring them in , but it wouldn't be worth I to me. I would just close off what ever slide I wanted to from the pump compartment.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The easiest way to do it is to buy a Landmark. Separate switches are standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

The easiest way to do it is to buy a Landmark. Separate switches are standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that the Bighorns should have this on their trailers with the price of the trailer. My entry level previous trailer had separate switches. Much better. JMO.
Don

JanAndBill

There have been many times when it would be nice to bump only one slide out. Our refrigerator won't open with slides in. All it would take is a couple solenoid valve, relay and switch. May look at doing that on ours

jbeletti

Jon has it right - the addition of more manifolding, solenoids, wiring and switches is what it will take. One owner and forum member did his own a few years back. My guess is a couple hundred for the materials and several hours labor. Give a call to Lippert to get a better sense of what it will take from a materials and cost perspective.

Someone mentioned their entry level RV had individual slide room controls. I'm wondering if that trailer had electric motors for each slide - not hydraulic rams. As an example, our early Sundance 5th wheels were all electric slides at one time. Hence, each individually controlled.

Most of our bedroom slides across nearly all brands are now electric. That's why in some of our brands where the rooms are not individually controllable, that the slide room is.

I frankly don't see the benefit to hydraulic, id much rather have electric. that way the only thing to go bad is a motor or a switch. hydraulic leaves you open for a whole array of components just waiting for failure.

jbeletti

I frankly don't see the benefit to hydraulic, id much rather have electric. that way the only thing to go bad is a motor or a switch. hydraulic leaves you open for a whole array of components just waiting for failure.

Just guessing but I'm thinking speed is the big advantage as well as power to push out and pull back the big/heavy slides. I know big loads can be manipulated with electric motors as well. But the size of the motors versus where they can be mounted may be a consideration - not sure.

I do agree that the hydraulic system adds an awful lot of complexity to the coach. Each has to decide their own comfort level with such complexity versus their own perceived value of such systems on their coach of choice.

Rrloren

Did not know that multiple slides work with one switch, My Sundance has a separate switch for each of the 3 slides. We find it very convenient while on the road and stop for lunch or rest and need a bit more room in dining area to open one slide only.
When setting up for the night it takes a minute or so to open all three. Just my 2 cents.

JohnDar

Did not know that multiple slides work with one switch, My Sundance has a separate switch for each of the 3 slides. We find it very convenient while on the road and stop for lunch or rest and need a bit more room in dining area to open one slide only.
When setting up for the night it takes a minute or so to open all three. Just my 2 cents.

Are all three slides electric? If they are, then independent switches inside is pretty simple. With hydraulics, additional hardware, valving, and hose configuration would be needed to run them from a common pump. With my BH, I have the single switch inside, but four valves on the manifold in the battery compartment, along with a second pump switch. So, I can select the slides and operate them singly from there. Using the indoor switch, the slides move in sequence based on fluid resistance in the system until they are all out or in.

caissiel

I added individual valves and additional hoses om our 4 slide 2009 BC after 2 weeks of ownership.
I still don't see the reasoning not to have the BC equipped with slide selection valves. We always have to open the main slide first and by load it would be the last to open.
I installed 4 90deg hydraulic ball valves at the main manifold per so pics in my album. Also I did a write and diagram.

BC units use to have valves and was removed as standard items and never added since 2009.
Must be a ploy to sell the BH instead.
I pushed enough on geared and motor slide to be happy with hydraulics.
One Grand Tetan owner told me that one of his slide motor cost him $3000.
Also just imagine the cost of the electric motor on the rear stabilizer and compare the cost for one for our heavy slide that are full height compared to smaller units.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

57chevyconvt

My guess is that if all slides were powered by electric motors and gear boxes (rack and pinion) is that it would be difficult to synchronize all slide motors with only one switch. Therefore, that design would require individual slide switches to fully open and close the slide(s). I have had both, much prefer the hydraulic system for slide operation. It only takes a minute to select the slide to be operated by opening/closing the individual valves on the hydraulic manifold. I do this frequently if I only want to open one slide.