Operation of Heat Pump

violinini1

I just received my BH 3760 EL 3 weeks ago and love it. I had a question about the operation of the heat pump. I have my fiver winterized but have it plugged in to 50 Amp house power to load it for a trip. I wanted to keep the Heat Pump going at a minimum (55 deg), but realized after a week or so that the Gas heater was also coming on. Of course, I realized this after running out of LP in one of the tanks. Is this the normal operation for the gas heater to come on while in the HP mode? Is there a temperature threshold that this occurs? We were experiencing outside temperatures in the 30's. The HP seems to work fine after the gas heater has heated up the RV into the 60's.
Thank you,

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Operation of Heat Pump

The heat pump switches over to the furnace at around 30 (F) outside.

violinini1

Dan,
Thank you, you have come to my rescue again. Really appreciate the quick response.
Don

Oregon_Camper

OK....here is my embarrassing question of the day. Do Big Horn's come with a heat pump? Is this an option? I don't even know if I have one? How would I turn it on vs. the propane heater?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

It's my understanding that the heat pump is built into a A/C unit. Might be the BR A/C. I think it is an option but on some A/C units it can be added.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

OK....here is my embarrassing question of the day. Do Big Horn's come with a heat pump? Is this an option? I don't even know if I have one? How would I turn it on vs. the propane heater?

My LM365 has 3 15K A/C's. The 2 with the heat pumps are larger then the one without. On the thermostat scrolling through the modes you'll find "HP" as one of the options. We have it on the main unit and the bedroom unit.
e265afa4d874fa6b0cf855283c78e601.jpg

danemayer

It's essentially a bi-directional air conditioner. In cooling mode, it moves heat outside. It heating mode it moves heat inside (even if there isn't much there to begin with).

Last edited:

jbeletti

Heat pumps have been options in the past. I don't think they come as standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk