Opinion of Towmax tires on MPG

marc515

While the MPG has some nicer features over the competition (R-Pod), the R-Pod caome with Goodyear tires VS Towmax tires on the MPG.

Overall, what is your opinion of the Towmax tires?

camr

Re: Towmax tires?

Hi Marc, Based solely on our experience with Towmax tires, I can say that they MAY not be as bad as many of us would think. I was scared as H*ll about them a year ago when they came on our M22, and was fully expecting them to spontaneously disintegrate on the first trip. I was so paranoid that I bought a TPMS so that I could be informed of the carnage of exploding rubber behind me. Looking back over the last year, they have performed as well as any other tire that I have ever owned. From my two decade career as a long haul truck driver, I can tell you that the three greatest factors relating to tire life are inflation pressure, speed and age. Keep the inflation pressure at the tire rating, resist the urge to fly low at 80 mph, and visually check the tire for cracks and abnormalities. All that being said, if I had my choice between Towmax, or either Maxxis or American made Goodyears, I would take the second choice.

marc515

So what's the best recommended replacement tires; Goodyear, Michelin's, or ????

tmcran

IMO.....Maxxis hands down. Had them on previous RV and replaced Missions on the Sundance. Never a problem..

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I agree with another vote for Maxxis. BUT, I wouldn't replace the Towmax right away. The lighter weight trailers have far less issues with tires than the heavier 5th wheels. Best thing to do is weigh the trailer when fully loaded for travel. Compare the axles weight with the capacity of the tires and determine if you're within specs. If you're over or even close to max capacity for the tires, you need to lighten the load or get higher capacity tires.