Opinions of K&N air filter

sjs731

The guy that does my diesel work develops and sells his own programs for engine ECMs and he said on a dyno the 2007 LBZ has the best air box/filter set up he has seen and he sells cold air intakes, filters, tuners etc. He hasn't found a filter or intake that makes more power for my truck.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollingHome

Trace (TnT), I kinda am ignorant about the Banks gizmo you have and mentioned. Can you give me any more info or a web site or, or, or. When you mentioned the 1-1/2 > 2 mpg increase, that kinda perked my interest. It seems most diesel shops only want to get the under 30 crowd from 0 to 60 is 5 seconds or less. My 2 brothers - in laws and I have been searching for your kind of info. In advance thanks.

porthole

Retired
FWIW, I get about 1 1/2 to 2 MPG more with my Banks setup in economy mode, when running empty.

It came with a K&N type filter. I have never had to do anything with the filter after 40K miles.

I also have no exhaust drone.

Additionally, I also have more controllable power with a load. Trace

Trace - if you haven't cleaned your filter in 40K and it still looks clean you must have a leak somewhere.

I could see a possible mileage increase with your 06 Cummins, but mainly because the electronics are not a sophisticated and technical as they are now.
Emissions dictate getting the least amount of emissions out of the engine, and one of the best ways to do that is to make it run more economical. Less fuel burnt equals less potential emissions.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trace - if you haven't cleaned your filter in 40K and it still looks clean you must have a leak somewhere.

Duane, No, I didn't say it was clean.

From K&N's website on cleaning interval;

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

Last air filter I'll ever buy for this truck. It has a million mile guarantee. Trace​

Last edited:

tmcran

Takled with buddy last night about the K&N and other stuff. His son is a Ford diesel tech. His son stated that he loves K&N and some of the other things folks add to their trucks. He says he gets lot of work changing sensors and other repairs related to them. On certain codes he says they are required to check the ECM. He said Ford has gotten really tight about add ons and will deny warranty if anything looks as if could be related to add on items..

ThomasG

My dad was a mechanic and so am i for over 25 years now. I knew it all when i was young and know better now. I've experimented and seen a lot. thousands of people fall for the selling arguments like more power and better gasmileage, all BS. Mass air flow sensors are very sensitive and the oil in K&N filters will destroy them sooner or later. A tiny drop in the sensor voltage is messing up the whole system. Next point is, a filter that can be cleaned but most likely never will, is not doing his job. If you do your regular oil and filter changes, using a good synthetik oil and OEM filters and don't abuse your vehicle you will enjoy it for many hundred thousand miles/km. Only aftermarket part on my truck is the exhaust and thats because i love the deep sound of the V8. Like already mentioned, older engines without hightech sensors or just carburators usually have no problem with K&N filters.

I have used K&N and like the way they work. On the down side, if you are heavy-handed with the oil when reinstalling the filter, you'll be cleaning you MAF-cost about $100 on my old Pathfinder.