Ordering a new North Trail 21 FBS

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Hi, I just joined this site..I am getting ready to order my new TT...it was between three, North Trail 21 FBS, Fun Finder 214, Forest River Surveyor 240SP....I feel my decision is the best by going with Heartland. I read lots of blogs and problems with all these trailers, but it appeared Heartland at least addressed the issues...One question is does the wide track still have a problem with the knuckle hitting the LP gas pipe and nicking it???? This was registered by a guy who worked on these units and was trying to get a recall....I have not been able to get any more info on this subject...
I live in AZ but the best deal I found was in Iowa...debating on whether to get the 2012 in stock or order a 2013...price difference is $1,000-1500 more on the 2013....any suggestions....

Hope to hear back from you guys and picking up my new unit at the end of May....
Garry

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hi Garry... We have a 2011 / 21fbs and love it. No issues with the lp pipe and knuckle, in fact we never had a reason to take it in to the dealer ever. As to whether or not to pay up for a 2013, I would ask what more am I getting? If they are the same, I would save the $$$ and go with a 2012. Be sure to get a 15k A/C unit, you will need the extra umph for summer heat there, as we do here in Texas. Another issue to address is the age of the tires, look at the date code on the tires and make sure they are as new as you can get. Have them swap them with another trailer on the lot if necessary but don't get stuck with tires that are manufactured 2 or 3 years ago. Search this forum on information about doing a very, very thorough PDI, get everything working and get familiar with how everything works before you leave the lot (and don't ever pay for a PDI, extended warranty or exterior treatment...JMHO) . You mentioned a deal in Iowa, you might check out some of the on-line dealers such as RV Wholesalers. There are a couple of them I have read about that people talk good about that give good deals, I think in Indiana. You might google up RV Wholesale and do a bit of looking around. We bought ours local and were happy with our deal, but I didn't know anything about the online dealers then. Someone else here on the forum might chime in about them also. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Doublegranch

Well it will all be done in the morning....The dealer in Iowa gave me a price that was about $500 from the deal in Indiana, so to save the extra miles, I will go with Iowa and visit family there as well...I am getting the 2012 as it will save me $1500...also the dealer will swap out the A/C for a low profile for $400...its a $300 upgrade and $100 labor...I will now double check with him on the 15000 vs the 13500...thanks for the info...The color is pebble vs the mocha I wanted but hey for $1500 difference, my dog won't care! I am really excited now...I got to look at one this weekend in Tucson...they wanted $4000 more, it will only cost me $600 or so in fuel and it's worth the savings to me. Where on the tires do you look for the date stamp...does it actually show for example 4/2012 or is it a code????? The dealer has a camp ground on site and I will be staying for a couple of days at their location to ensure there are no bugs to work out...Now the next question....what kind of a equalizer hitch do I need....I have always had goosenecks at the ranch and so not use to the bumper pull...do they make equalizer hitches that allow you to back up and turn tightly while parking into a tight spot without getting out and disconnecting them??????
I really appreciate everyone's help...I hope to leave in the middle of the week to go pick it up....I am thinking about booking a space in Fort Collins for this Sept's rally...wow what a lot of fun that would be.
Garry & Dakota, My "Aussie" girl

Doublegranch

Brett:

Hey the deal is finished...they will need a week to put the new AC on so plan on picking it up on May 2....they will have it serviced and hooked up at their camp site for my late arrival on May 1...the guard will have the keys...He talked me out of the 15k ac and said it is over kill on this small of a unit...it won't condition the air properly making it more of a damp cold....
I will call you again soon. Thanks for all your help. Garry

CliffP

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the forum! Are you planning to camp for a couple of days near the dealer to check out everything? If not you should make sure to schedule plenty of time with the dealer to do a thorough PDI. Good luck and enjoy your new camper.

pegmikef

...One question is does the wide track still have a problem with the knuckle hitting the LP gas pipe and nicking it???? This was registered by a guy who worked on these units and was trying to get a recall....I have not been able to get any more info on this subject...

Hope to hear back from you guys and picking up my new unit at the end of May....
Garry

They did a recall on my 2011 NT 26LRSS and I took it to a local dealer that Heartland authorized and it took about thirty minutes to fix it. The fix was to install rubber bumpers on the frame to protect the LP line. Works fine. I don't know if the problem carried over to the 2012 models, but it is worth checking.