Ordering a unit - any suggestions in general, options to add/delete?

wdk450

How come nobody (unless I missed it) suggested any upgrades to the FOUNDATION of the 5th wheel, not just the fluff items? I am referring to premium tires, disk brakes, shock-absorbing pinbox, and independent suspension. Heartland can haul your trailer over to MorRyde before it ships out, and get the disk brakes, pinbox and IS installed before it is towed cross country to your selling dealer. Either your dealer or Tredit Tire should be able to get you tires/wheels you are confident to drive on.

Mizmary

How come nobody (unless I missed it) suggested any upgrades to the FOUNDATION of the 5th wheel, not just the fluff items? I am referring to premium tires, disk brakes, shock-absorbing pinbox, and independent suspension. Heartland can haul your trailer over to MorRyde before it ships out, and get the disk brakes, pinbox and IS installed before it is towed cross country to your selling dealer. Either your dealer or Tredit Tire should be able to get you tires/wheels you are confident to drive on.

That's a good question. I would upgrade the axles. If we had ordered we would have. And we DEFINITELY would have upgraded the tires to an LT tire too.

remoandiris

IMO, an air hitch or other type of shock absorbing hitch is better than a shock absorbing pinbox. The hitch stays with you, too. The only axle upgrade available from Heartland appears to be 7,000 lb axles. As for disc brakes, my unit stops fine with the drums. I bet my dually and exhaust brake help with that, too. Independent suspension might be a worthy add and I'll take my chances on the stock tires for a while. I hope I don't regret that decision.

taminator

Thank y'all again for all the responses. Have talked w/ dealers (& the wholesalers) all over the country! We don't mind driving to pick up the RV and are figuring that into the total cost.

Subdrv

Looks like everyone cover all my upgrades except we opted for the heat pump in the living room because we fulltime and want to use electric as much as possible.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
I love the central vac and you can easily get a beater head on amazon.
We drove it over to MOR/ryde to have disk brakes and independent suspension put on it immediately. Also put better tires on it.
Waiting for Porthole the cyclone guy to reply...,
You will love your Cyclone!
Do a search here in the forum posted by Porthole. He has a huge write up called
And so it begins as the subject title where he has documented all his modifications done on his rig.
Don't forget to post pictures -
Inside and out when you take delivery!

Last edited:

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?highlight=

The above link is to the page started by Porthole documenting our Cyclone..

Enjoy the reading...

taminator

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?highlight=

The above link is to the page started by Porthole documenting our Cyclone..

Enjoy the reading...

Thanks for the link!

Well, we wound up getting a great deal (about 31% off MSRP) on a unit in stock at a dealer here in Texas so we jumped on it. We're thrilled!! Planning to pick it up next weekend. Hoping to take the first trip in about a month. My family pipelined growing up so I practically grew up in a travel trailer. Brings back great memories so I'm ready to get back to RV'ing!

Thanks again for all the great tips! See y'all out on the road!

danemayer

Ok Taminator - now you can look at the EVENTS tab and meet some of us at the upcoming North Texas and South Texas Chapter Rallies in October. They're in Canton and Beaumont. Hope to see you there.

scottyb

Thanks for the link!

Well, we wound up getting a great deal (about 31% off MSRP) on a unit in stock at a dealer here in Texas so we jumped on it. We're thrilled!! Planning to pick it up next weekend. Hoping to take the first trip in about a month. My family pipelined growing up so I practically grew up in a travel trailer. Brings back great memories so I'm ready to get back to RV'ing!

Thanks again for all the great tips! See y'all out on the road!

Congratulations on your new Cyclone. Maybe you already mentioned it, but what part of Texas are you in? I was also a pipeliner, a long time ago. I was in the Union of Operating Engineers. I met my lovely DW while travelling on a pipeline job, 33 years ago. That pretty much was the end of my travelling with the pipeline. I found another way to lay pipe, :cool: and got into utility pipeline work. This kept me at home.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If I could it all over again and I had the cash. I would spec out to see if a Diesel Genny would fit in our trailers. I don't believe HL offers this as a option, so with that in mind I would just purchase the Gen Set Prep. Then fit a Diesel Onan in the Genny Compartment.

One thing I found, it cost me approx $60 a day to run my 5500 Onan a day on gas. Diesel should be close to half that maybe slightly more. The other issue is you don't have to worry about is diesel sitting up and giving you trouble so quickly like gas does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Geez, I had no idea they burned that much gas in a day. With that said, I believe a diesel genny is around 2x the cost of a gasser.

Just depends how much you plan to run the genny to see if the cost is worth it. I am not sure if i use mine alot or not. But I have put 200hrs on it in the first year.

scottyb

scottyb,,,, taminator is in Aggie Land. Think ya'll could mix peacefully?:)

Jim M

Jim, some of my best friends are Aggies. We are kind of like the bucks in my back pasture. Good buddies most of the year, until the rut (football season) begins.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 18

taminator

Congratulations on your new Cyclone. Maybe you already mentioned it, but what part of Texas are you in? I was also a pipeliner, a long time ago. I was in the Union of Operating Engineers. I met my lovely DW while travelling on a pipeline job, 33 years ago. That pretty much was the end of my travelling with the pipeline. I found another way to lay pipe, :cool: and got into utility pipeline work. This kept me at home.

Thanks! We live in Bryan. My grandfather, two uncles and dad were members of the Pipeliners Union 798. My dad only a short time back in the 80's. It was kinda tough moving all the time but sure got to see alot of things.

taminator

scottyb,,,, taminator is in Aggie Land. Think ya'll could mix peacefully?:)

Jim M

Just bc we live in Aggieland doesn't mean we're Aggies. ;) Usually we root for whoever is playing against them simply because living here with these students makes you want to strangle some of them. Although I will say this last year watching Manziel (on and off the field) has been entertaining. But we love our Aggie family and friends.

taminator

Gig'em Taminator! - Class of '92 here. Enjoy the Cyclone. We love ours!

Thanks!! I swear we run into Aggie's all over this country! We stayed at a B&B in b.f.e. Nebraska and ate breakfast with a couple who'd graduated from TAMU. Lived for a few months in an itty bitty town in Wyoming - met an Aggie who lived nearby. They're everywhere!

hcriddle

Taminator,

Both our kids and our son-in-law graduated from A&M. we had season baseball tickets until a couple of seasons ago and would pull our Bighorn up and park it at the baseball field for the weekend when the Aggies were playing. Lots of fun with our kids and their friends. I am hoping to be able to get season tickets again for next season so if you see a Bighorn on the parking lot at Blue Bell field, stop in and say hi. We are full timing in our Bighorn down the road from you in Carmine while we build our new home in Burton.