Ordering a unit - any suggestions in general, options to add/delete?

taminator

Hello! After over a year of researching, DH and I believe we've finally settled on the RV we want: Cyclone 3800. After talking with a dealer he suggested we order the unit (built from the factory) and get exactly what we want. We have never done this with anything (prior RV's or vehicles) and while it's a little exciting to think about it's a little scary.

So I'm curious what others think are must haves, coulda done without, etc. One RV'er I talked with said he wished they'd ordered the double pane windows and bought TV's themselves instead of what was installed.

These are a few things I know we want:
-6 point leveling system
-generator (would it be best to have them prep it and us buy the generator ourselves?
-larger fridge
-electric awnings (these might be standard)
-3 AC's
-dual pane windows
-arctic package

Things I can add myself:
-all the TV's (just have them install the mounts at the factory)
-upgraded mattress (can I have them delete the mattress completely?)

Are these worth the cost?:
-central vacuum system
-vessel bowl in bath
-rear electric beds
-3 season doors
-convection microwave
-fantastic vent with rain sensor in bedroom
-toylok (don't even know what this is)
-ramp door patio

Any other ideas/suggestions please share! We're trying to research and anticipate needs so we get this all right the "first" time (at least first time ordering). It's just me, my husband, 2 cats and 2 motorcycles. :cool:

Thank you in advance and hope to meet some fellow Heartlanders in the near future!
Tam

danemayer

Hi Tam,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Always good to have another Texan.

I'm sure some Cyclone owners will jump in shortly with advice. I don't have a Cyclone, but I do have some of the stuff you're asking about.

Dual Pane windows: people who don't have them will generally be skeptical about their value. People who do have them will never get another coach without them.
Generator Prep and Generator: This is a tough field installation. I'd suggest you factory order.
TVs: the problem with getting your own is usually that you want the factory to install the brackets. How much will you save after they charge for brackets? I guess you'll find out.
Convection/Microwave: love ours. We could do away with the gas oven because we use the convection oven for baking.
Toylok: Had one. It broke after 18 months. Now I just use a cable lock hooked around the front landing jack. Does the same thing for $12.

Look forward to meeting you at a South TX or North TX chapter rally. Looks like you'd be close to either.

dbbls59

I can give you my opinion on some of your questions. The central vacuum is not worth it. It does not have a beater head and does a poor job at best. We have the Vessel bowl and hate it. The faucet does not extend far enough over the bowl so water is always splashing out. Fantastic fan with rain sensor is great but are you getting an air conditioner in the bedroom? If not then yes, get the Fantastic fan. The toy lock is a reel with a cable mounted on the trailer frame. The cable can be pulled out, run through an opening in your toy and returned to the reel where it can be pad locked. I have not used mine in over a year but mine is not a toy hauler. Electric awnings are standard.

TravisJen

If its just the two of you, the electric beds seem unnecessary. Our dealer told us we were better off getting the TVs ourselves since he said they were going to charge us double the price for a no name product. We picked up a cheap cordless vacuum that does a good job since the only carpet is in the bedroom. We opted not to get a toylock since I hear they don't last very long before they jam up.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014, travel alone and have a Harley in the garage. I would highly recommend the generator from the factory. Have used it a lot while stopping at truck stops on my way to wherever I am going to. Use the happy jack beds when friends go with me to motorcycle events or when the grandkids are visiting. I only have 2 A/C's and have been told that you can only run 2 at once even if you have 3, not sure. The garage venting is terrible and very little A/C gets in there so if you can run them all at the same time it may be a good option. The fantastic fan is fantastic, no brainier. I use it when I don't need the A/C or just to vent the heat out if I was late in the day turning on the A/C. I use the built in vacuum a lot but you can get an external one too. Mine did come with several attachments that are helpful. The patio option is great and you get a reinforced ramp for the bike. I don't have the 3 season doors so I can't comment on them. My unit came with the larger fridge. Don't have duel pane windows but I don't camp or live in the cold, I don't even winterize. The toy lock is just a cable attached to the frame, I have never used mine. I don't have the 6 point level up but hope to add it at the next National Rally if a discount is offered again

conradsteph

Allright! Someone with the same unit we have. We have had our 2014 3800 since early May. 3500 miles so far and it is AWESOME! Honestly, not one significant problem. A couple little things (had to reattach some trim in garage, change fan in bathroom cause I left vent open while traveling, a few other minor details). I almost feel guilty reading some of the other posts. No tire problems, plumbing, electrical, or structural. I had mine made to order as well so it was very fresh. My last 2 trucks and this coach – made to order is the way to go. Not a fan of buying “new” off a lot after sitting around for a year.

6 pt level – definitely
generator – depends if you will always have hook ups or not. But a great plus if you are traveling and want to pull over for night at a WalMart or rest stop or something like that.
Larger fridge – definitely – we have a 6 and 8 year old plus my bud light habit.
Awnings – nice but more for helping keep coach cool that real use. You’ll spend all your time on the garage patio – off the ground – very nice!
3 AC’s – we have 3 and it was a waste. 2 is a must but we are in Phoenix and are desert rats. You can’t run 3 (although I have a PMS (power mgmt. system) planned for next spring so we can run all 3) You can run the main room and either of the two. Not the garage and bedroom at the same time (which would be nice cause the kids like it out there and they have their own bathroom)
Dual Pane – we have them. Once again – anything to keep the heat out (and we spent about $700 on some high quality tint to help)

We went with just one TV and upgraded ourselves. We had all the satellite splitters taken out so each spot in the coach (garage, bedroom, basement, and living room) can run off separate receiver.

Central Vac is great. Keep that thing clean.
Vessel bowls are nice. A little more room for your hands. We have them in ours. Not necessary but nice.
Electric beds are nice (but would have been nice if they gave us an additional ladder)
Should have opted for convection microwave.
Fantastic vent in living room but not in bedroom but we upgraded to a Vortex fan in bedroom and its rocks!
We have a toylok (so you can lock up any bikes or ATV’s to coach on the outside. There are other ways to lock up so it’s not necessary.
Patio is our favorite part of coach. But 3 season doors are questionable. We have them. Kind of a pain but nice to keep cold in when you do run the AC but if it’s hot enough to run AC in garage, it’s hot enough to be running in living room and bedroom so choose your poison). But when we head up north this winter it will be nice to keep cold out with garage open. They are kind of a plastic covered window (8 panels) that you can remove to expose screen only or keep on to have view but protected from elements.
That’s a lot of info. I hope it helps. I’ve have learned a ton from this forum.

conradsteph

Oh yeah, two other things. Number 1, It looks like the new 3800 got rid of the bathroom to bedroom door so that if you are in the main bedroom you now have to go out of your bedroom to go into the bathroom. That would be a deal killer for us. Number 2, we went with the dinette combo. We enjoy drinking coffee face to face rather than a long table. Just a thought....but the table is kind of wimpy. Some of the other brands have the table connected to the coach and it pushed down rather than having to remove it. I think that is a better set up.

taminator

Holy smokes! Figured I'd get at least a couple of helpful replies but man y'all really went above and beyond. Can't thank you enough!! Our poor salesman will have fun with this order - adding, deleting, changing things up! We're still in the "pricing" phase but will hopefully get all the details ironed out soon.

Still torn about the double pane windows. Will probably get the convection microwave and completely delete the oven and just have extra storage space. Gotta see about the power cord reel. Checking to see if they can move the washer/dryer connection to the garage area along the exterior garage wall near the bathroom. When we travel we'll be parked long enough that moving the washer/dryer around to load the bikes won't be a big issue.

So much to think about and plan. Thanks again for the input and keep it coming!! Y'all have been extremely helpful. We'll definitely have to plan on making a few rallies across the country.

kowAlski631

We're full timing & are very glad we decided on the dual pane windows not only for the assistance with temp control, but for sound control when fellow campers are having a REALLY good time.

taminator

We're full timing & are very glad we decided on the dual pane windows not only for the assistance with temp control, but for sound control when fellow campers are having a REALLY good time.

Yea, I'm thinking they'll be worth the expense especially if they help with the temp.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yea, I'm thinking they'll be worth the expense especially if they help with the temp.

From one Texan to another, get the dual-pane windows!!

In Texas, you can pretty much camp all year long, if you don't mind burning up or freezing a little. ;)

We wish we had dual pane. I can tell you in San Antonio a month ago, AC set on 75, bedroom set to run (no set temp)... Outside temp 102, the thermostat said the inside temp was as high as 85, because it's in the hallway (heat rises, and no AC vents there). With fans, we could circulate the air and be comfortable. But the primary culprit? Heat transfer through the windows. If I kept all the blinds down and had the awning out for shade, the inside temp did much better. But our cats like to see out, so many blinds were up about 6", and I could feel the heat coming in. If they were napping, I closed the blinds!

oscar

For the record, the mega window in the salon on our 4100 is double pane standard. The other windows are not.

remoandiris

I've had a factory ordered 4000 for just over a week. Spent 5 days in it so far.

When you order, the "Cyclone Package" it includes the gennie, central vac, 2 awnings, etc. According to the build sheet I have, the Cyclone Pkg is free. It costs $6778 and you get a $6778 discount, so it is free.

Before you order the larger fridge, take a HARD look at storage space in the kitchen. Walk thru a unit with the larger fridge and decide if the kitchen has enough storage. If it does, fine. If not, the 8 cf fridge means more storage space. It is just the wife, me, 2 spoiled Boxers and a spoiled Maine Coon. The 8 cf fridge is plenty for us. We'd rather have the extra storage space. The 12cf fridge has an MSRP of $3K. Take 25% off for dealer price to you.

If you order the extra bed in the garage, or if you keep the folding sofa/bed up all the time, the garage a/c will be less effective, so consider that before you spend the money ~ $800 on it.

IMO the Level Up is NOT a big deal, even though I have it. With that said, I don't notice bouncing and flex when my wife or I move around the coach like I noticed in my 2006 Jayco. The hydraulic system is faster and smoother than electric.

We both enjoy the patio I think the dogs and cat do too. I am glad I ordered the electric awning for the patio. If your cats go out there, they probably can fit under the patio railing. It is about a 3' drop to the ground. That is higher than my girl wants to jump. BTW, even with the texture, the ramp is slick if it is wet, so keep that in mind when you're loading or unloading.

MSRP for bedroom or garage tv is $749 and the outside tv is $899. Figure 25% less from the dealer. I skipped the extra TVs. There are stickers at the places where you'd put the backers. I doubt you'll save much money if the factory installs the backers. I just take a tv from the spare bedroom at home and put it in the 5er bedroom. Sure, it takes up space on the dresser, but that is o.k. If your tv connection is not close to a spot where the tv can sit on it's own stand, you may have to go with mounting it.

I probably should have saved the ~$700 on the Arctic Pkg, but I thought it was a good idea at the time. At least if I ever camp in freezing temps I can flip a switch and be confident the tanks won't freeze. Remember to keep a few gallons of water in all the tanks so the plastic doesn't melt from the tank heaters.

I prefer the 3 season walls over the pull down screen, but the doors really are NOT 3 season. I have no doubt the garage will be cold in the winter just like it is HOT in the summer. The doors do NOT open all the way because of the patio railing brackets. You need to put a bungie strap on the door handle to keep them open. Still plenty open enough to get a bike or 2 into the garage. The little snap strap on the inside of the doors doesn't even connect on my unit. Not a big deal...I just use a twistie.

You get Correct Track whether you want it or not.

I don't know if you can delete the gas stove or not. I didn't ask but might have deleted it if possible. My wife has never used a convection oven, but she is looking forward to testing it out.

I don't care for vessel sinks. Once she saw it, my wife agreed with my decision for the standard bathroom sink.

I don't need a toylok. Instead I have a disc brake lock for my bike. I can use it all the time instead of only when the bike is parked beside the coach.

If you decide to have the factory delete anything standard, like the mattress, you will get VERY little, if any, value back from the factory. For example, I wanted no livingroom furniture. I was going to buy 2 Lazy Boys and call it good. The factory was going to give ZERO credit until my salesman complained to them, so they settled on a $400 credit. I opted to take the factory livingroom furniture. Once it wears out, I'll get the Lazy Boys.

Give some consideration to how you will mount 2 wheel chocks and how you will use the floor d-rings to strap down the bikes. I'm having my favorite welder fab a few pieces similar to this to mount my wheel chock to; http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Boltdown.html This way those small pieces are attached to the floor. When I don't need the wheel chock, it is out of the way instead of being permanently bolted to the garage floor.

Think about where you'll put litter boxes, food & water bowls, and a scratching post or 2. So far, the dogs' bowls are in the garage and the cat drinks out of their bowls even though she has her own in the bedroom. Her littler box is in the bathroom. Not ideal for me, but I'll live with it. Her scratching post is in the kitchen. I think in cooler temps the post will move to the garage.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
The only thing I can add is that putting a Fantastic Fan with rain sensor in the bathroom really helps. We have two ACs which is all we can have so we moved the fan from the BR to the bath. Covered it with a maxair cover on the roof and now we can circ air while traveling. You could get away withou the rain sensor if you have the cover, but we were just in a storm where water was blowing right into the cover causing the fan to shut off. It paid off for us.

Dual Pane! Yes
vessel no
central vac makes a good dust pan and does ok at quick cleanups on vinyl, but worthless on carpet.

As you can see, it doesn't take long to get answers on here!

Kristy

PP We ordered both of our RVs. It worked great for us.

gpshemi

I added a second AC in the garage (with heat strip) and it's awesome.
Between that one and the main room, we can freeze ourselves right out.
The heat strip adds just enough in the cold months to make it nice in there.