Outside Entertainment and slide topper warning

Hoping others can learn from my mistake, I just wanted to post my experience. I was watching TV on the outside entertainment system later in the evening. The sun had set and since there was some wind I retracted my awnings. I had not realized there was still a fair amount of water on the slide topper. All of a sudden a gust of wind pushed up on the topper and dumped a gush of water down the side of the slide out. Because the top of the door to the TV is opened into the TV compartment the water drenched the TV. Currently I am letting the TV dry out hoping it will continue to work. UGH!

Heartland may also want to consider a design improvement to prevent water from being able to come in the top of the opened door to the TV.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I think the best solution may be to is install a Dometic Slide Cradle Support. I installed 2 on my previous Landmark. Take at look at this post for more details. The source in the post that I referenced was the best price. I just checked and located this source with a better price. Please contact Heartland Customer Service an see if they can assist you.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was considering adding a slide topper to our trailer . . . until our July 4th 2014 weekend campout!

When a microburst wind blew through the campground and ripped the slideout toppers on several of those monster bus motorhomes that were parked around us!

No thanks . . .

That wind shook our trailer like there was an earthquake, and ripped the full awnings off of several trailers and motorhomes in the park!

Luckily for us, we were around when the park rangers came through the campground a few hours earlier and warned us of high wind warnings in the area, so we put our awning up and took down the gazebo.

porthole

Retired
Too bad slide toppers couldn't be angled slightly to dump water, or not allow collection in the first place.

Our bedroom topper is short enough that it does not collect water.

The LR topper does. Knowing that I will bring the slide in to dump the water when I think about it.

Might be something to put on a list of things to do, pull in the slides once the sun comes out.

danemayer

We've had frequent late afternoon showers for the past few weeks. I noticed water pooling on the slideout awnings, and getting blown off by gusts of wind. I adjusted the front-to-rear leveling to raise the front slightly. Haven't noticed the pooling since doing that.