Outside Entertainment Center on Ashland

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
First we got our Ashland in Early December and we were to take a trip to California with it. Due to some doctor issues I have been grounded and have been baby sitting the RV besides keeping it warm. We bought the unit off the lot for it had just about everything we wanted. It has the out side door (in the passenger side slide) that would normally house a small TV. I was actually glad it did not have the TV for if I am going to watch TV I really want to see it inside sitting in a recliner and not a camping chair fighting the sun. So now I am looking at what to do with this space. I have a hobby and that is wood pellet smokers. They are now making a few semi portable units (Green Mountain - Davey Crockett) that would fit perfect in the basement of the RV. So the first thing is I will be putting my BBQ rubs in a large spice rack that should fit well in the space. Now if you are going to be outside with your smoker you need two other things. Something to drink and music. Because of the limited space and the fact I want to hear REAL music and not the thumping of bass that you get with most of the outdoor speakers I have decided to use the "VIZIO S2920w-C0 29-inch 2.0 High Definition Sound Bar with Bluetooth". Now I am a financial advisor and not a salesman for any electronics so please do not take this as any endorsement but the primary reason why I picked this unit is it is 29 inches long and fits perfectly inside the opening and leaves a lot of room for BBQ stuff. The sound bar also sounds very good. The sound bar is Bluetooth so you can use your phone or a tablet to play music from your library or if you have internet services like Pandora or RDIO. As I complete this project I will tell you how it went and also send some pictures. Also if anyone else has done something similar it would be nice to hear what you did and how did it work out.

Thanks,

Fred

jimtoo

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the idea on use of the outside space. I'm sure it will help some others also.

I did move thread to the Modification area.

Jim M

jbeletti

Great idea for the TV space Fred. Looking forward to seeing project pics when completed. Also interested in your pellet smokers. Got my sights on a Yoder Pellet Smoker, a few years down the road.

fredwrichardson

Great idea for the TV space Fred. Looking forward to seeing project pics when completed. Also interested in your pellet smokers. Got my sights on a Yoder Pellet Smoker, a few years down the road.

Jim,

I have a RecTec at home and love it. Did my Thanksgiving Turkey on it and it was the best ever. The Yoders are top of the line so you cannot go wrong with that brand. The only issue is they are too big and heavy to carry in the RV. Green Mountain has the Davey Crockett portable. Can cook enough food to feed 6 to 8 people if needed. It also has WiFi with a built in thermometer that works with a phone app. Lets you monitor the smoker using your smartphone. I use my smoker every week cooking chicken (my boys favorite) but have done ribs, pork shoulder, brisket (takes a lot of time), shrimp, bacon and even a prime rib.

Fred

fredwrichardson

Jim,

Timing is everything. Just got an email from RecTec and they just came out with their NEW portable smoker. Here is the link - http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-mini-portable-wood-pellet-grill-rt-300/

Guess which one I am going to buy now. The Green Mountain does have the smartphone app but this unit is larger but still portable. Plus RecTec have great temperature control and that is the most important part of a smoker.

Fred

davebennington

We use the outside TV space for 2 bottle jacks, pads for under the level up and the yard flag, makes a good place to keep that kind of stuff.

dave

pegmikef

Jim,

Timing is everything. Just got an email from RecTec and they just came out with their NEW portable smoker. Here is the link - http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-mini-portable-wood-pellet-grill-rt-300/

Guess which one I am going to buy now. The Green Mountain does have the smartphone app but this unit is larger but still portable. Plus RecTec have great temperature control and that is the most important part of a smoker.

Fred

I have been looking at pellet grills ever since a Motor Home we were parked by at the MCD Factory got one and had a cook out for us. My problem is that these so called "portable" ones still weigh 75 to 100 pounds . . . doesn't make it too portable for me.

fredwrichardson

I have been looking at pellet grills ever since a Motor Home we were parked by at the MCD Factory got one and had a cook out for us. My problem is that these so called "portable" ones still weigh 75 to 100 pounds . . . doesn't make it too portable for me.

Well if it has folding legs and I can get it in and out of the basement of the RV then it is worth it. You get spoiled cooking with them and when you have to go use your old propane grill it can be depressing.

jbeletti

I need to camp with you Fred. I'll help cook and clean up just to be able to eat what comes off your smoker :)

fredwrichardson

Can't beat a Traeger grill. I love love love mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Traegers are very nice grills. Do you have one with the Digital Thermostat? I hear you can even upgrade an older unit with the Digital Thermostat now. The Junior Elite with the tailgating legs would be a nice RV unit. I already have the RecTec so the RecTec Mini would be the one I would get. So you know RecTec has unbelievable customer service. The CEO gives out his cell phone and if you have a problem you can call him directly any day of the week. I should also mention that Tom Montaque (GM of Landmark) is also very accessible here on the forums so you can see if you do not have great customer service then you will not get my business.

fredwrichardson

OK well it is back to the project of using the Entertainment Door of our Ashland. This project is going to take me 3 to 4 weeks for I will be out of commission for about 10 days. Here are the pictures of the Door and as you can see it is a clean slate.

IMG_0086.JPGIMG_0089.JPGIMG_0094.JPG

pegmikef

Can't beat a Traeger grill. I love love love mine

Yeah that's the one I was so impressed with that the guy with the motorhome bought while we were at the MCD Factory. He had just bought the smallest one for his MH and planned on hauling it in the back of his towed pick up. It just didn't look like a very good fit for my basement.

jnspenc

BigSpenc
Ya, I have the digital thermometer on it. I love this thing. I attached a cage on the back of my Landmark and haul it that way. I installed the hitch my self, bolting to Frame. I ordered the hitch on the back of the Newport so I can continue to haul it with me, or I'll just put it in the back of the truck.

fredwrichardson

Ya, I have the digital thermometer on it. I love this thing. I attached a cage on the back of my Landmark and haul it that way. I installed the hitch my self, bolting to Frame. I ordered the hitch on the back of the Newport so I can continue to haul it with me, or I'll just put it in the back of the truck.

When you get it installed could you send a picture. Also what brand hitch did you install?

Thanks,

Fred

jnspenc

BigSpenc
When you get it installed could you send a picture. Also what brand hitch did you install?

Thanks,

Fred

Here you go hope it helps. Had to move stablizers up a couple of inches, drop the underbelly to get to frame and bolted to frame. This hitch bar is adjustable so you can center it. The cage flips up when not in use. Also used extension bar to clear ladder
0da2190352b2afe0b98163ec56347f76.jpg
b8c3e7b4cd70c4791583dd6f82b522b2.jpg
10d7f75d0ef5a8829e551ac24ca68989.jpg
bc235bc72527d86a8a2573f58e8f758b.jpg
f84b2d0078eadc0d96ae97e82b72ca14.jpg
dd09e70b64bf6fd043f1be362dff41d5.jpg

fredwrichardson

Nice job on the hitch and the smokers is right out there so all you have to do is plug her in. Looks like the hitch is a Curt? Also can handle up to 350 pounds. You could put a really big smoker back there if you wanted.

Thanks for the pictures and information. You got me thinking.

Fred