Outside range hood vent

nscaler2

We have a 2006 3055RL. The flapper door in the outside range vent has two little pins that it pivots on. One of them is broken off. I can still get it to stay in there with the two little latches at the bottom of the vent, but it is a pain. I have goggeled all over the net to see about getting a new outside range vent. All that I can find are made by a company called Ventline. Problem is they are too small to fit the current opening. Does anybody know who makes the one that Heartland is installed or where I could get a new one.

Barry & Alana

Hi, we also have the broken flap. Been looking for the flap for a few weeks now, but can only find the whole vent. And, they come in different sizes. So, as far as we can tell, we have install the whole unit. I looked on a new Bighorn last week and it looks like the same vent as ours. I have not contacted Heartlands merchandise dept yet. to see if they sell them. Or just see if the local dealers can order themin I guess.

wdk450

Repair instead?

Any possibility you could epoxy a piece of nail or the like in place of the broken pin, since you can't get the flap easily?
Maybe a call to Heartland service might help you find a source of supply for the range hood.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
There is a member on www.myrvtalk.com that makes metal replacements flaps and sells them. He started selling them to Sunnybrook owners and I know that it is the same because I have 2 complete units I got at one of there rallys. I just painted a new unit with Krylon Fusion paint and replaced my old yellow one. He sells them for $20.00 and shipping is included , folks rave about how nice they look and how well they are made. You can search "stove vents " and find out who it is or PM me will give you his handle......Kenny

P.S. Repainted my old yellow vent looks like new and door window frame is next.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I used finishing nails and aluminum flashing tape to replace the broken pins. Just tape the nail to the top edge of the flap with the head sticking out a 1/4 inch or so. They been working for 2 years now.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I had this happen on a previous SOB. Lost the "pin" and then lost the whole flapper. Had to have the whole vent replaced cuz I couldn't find just the flapper and the pins.

Keith

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My flapper blew off in the rain in Goshen and there was too much traffic to stop to look for it. When we got back to Houston, I looked all over for them but had to buy one that didn't match.

I went to Camping World to get my TV replaced and they had a replacement that fits the opening but doesn't have the flap. There are slots in the fixed cover, so we'll see how this works out. It looks like a better design that the flapper.

azbound

Have you checked with your local RV supply dealer? I had the Flap break on my previous 5er. Went to the local RV parts store and they had 2 types/sizes. One was a match to that 5er, the other was a match to my current BH.

No big deal to replace, remember to use a good caulk/sealer.

Good Luck

davebennington

I asked the question about a better vent in a previous post also at the National Rally in Goshen at the factory round table discussion. Heartland engineers said they would look in the possibility of installing something like a fantastic fan vent in place of the flapper that we now have on our units. I think they are smart enough to design something that will work better in the future.

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why not something like the louvered vents used for bathroom exhaust fans on houses? The vanes open when the fan comes on and close when it shuts off. Smaller and less likely to get caught. And you don't have to climb a ladder to latch them.

azbound

Why not something like the louvered vents used for bathroom exhaust fans on houses? The vanes open when the fan comes on and close when it shuts off. Smaller and less likely to get caught. And you don't have to climb a ladder to latch them.

Only the vertically have to use a latter, LOL

azbound

Har, har, har :) I don't need a ladder, but can stretch up to reach it. Only problem is the stretch is so great that my pants fall down :eek:

If your like me you don't like belts any more, so pull the string a little tighter and tie them in a good knot. LOL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If your like me you don't like belts any more, so pull the string a little tighter and tie them in a good knot. LOL

Nope, I like belts, feel nekkid without one. I haven't "graduated" to the point where I can only wear elastic, velcro and tie strings. I can still see my shoelaces when I stand up :D

porthole

Retired

They latch so you can drive down the road