Oven Pilot lights

CB3Tige

How do the LP ovens in a Bighorn RV work?

Is there a pilot light that gets turned off each time you move and turn off the gas?

Or are there electronic ignition devices, standard, or available, like on an outdoor grill?

jnbhobe

I think it's a two person job, one to hold the button in and one to lay on the floor to light the pilot.

danemayer

It's a bit like lighting a water heater pilot. You turn the knob to Pilot, hold the knob pressed in to start gas flowing, and hold a flame to the pilot for long enough that the thermocouple next to the pilot heats up and allows the gas flow to the pilot to continue after releasing the knob.

If you finish cooking and turn the knob back to Pilot, the light should stay on. If you turn the knob to Off, you'll have to repeat the lighting procedure next time you want to cook.

A long-handled butane lighter will help.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What Dan says.
After you light it a few times and understand what's happening it's fairly simple to repeat consistently. I'm confident of the location of the pilot light now so I can light a butane match, push in the knob and watch the reflection on the oven bottom to determine if the pilot light has lit.
Practice is the key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

happykraut

Try not to lean on the door too much when trying to reach in there to light the pilot. I know of a case where the door got sprung. And the fix was a new door.