Pacific Region Travel Discussion to Gillette WY-National Rally

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We need to decide for sure which route we are taking to the national and what we are doing afterward. Mark wants to take the northern route through Spokane. I would rather come back that way and go the southern route through Salt Lake on the way to the National.

What is the weather like in the mountains of northern ID and WY in early June?

Kristy

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We need to decide for sure which route we are taking to the national and what we are doing afterward. Mark wants to take the northern route through Spokane. I would rather come back that way and go the southern route through Salt Lake on the way to the National.

What is the weather like in the mountains of northern ID and WY in early June?

Kristy

In June it can go either way Kristy. Here in Wyoming it can range from road closing snow to sunny in the 70's. the park (Yellowstone) as well as other passes were closed several times last June due snow.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
In June it can go either way Kristy. Here in Wyoming it can range from road closing snow to sunny in the 70's. the park (Yellowstone) as well as other passes were closed several times last June due snow.

Dave, With that in mind, I'm thinking after is better for your rally. JMHO. Trace

Last edited:

rarnold

Ziggy:

Thanks for starting the ball rolling on this. We just started RV'ing this summer and are looking forward to attending our first rally. Count us in at this time. We ALSO would like to take in the Black Hills, Yellowstone etc after the rally. We will be leaving from Sacramento, drive around 60 MPH and do 4-8 hrs as needed. Please keep us in the loop when spring comes around.

I'll also log into that web site regarding coming in early and a possible Cody rally.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Rod

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We'll have to figure this out all together. I'm sure we won't all caravan together, especially the whole way, but gathering rigs as we head into the rally sure would make an impression and show our support for having rallies closer to our region.

Kristy

TandT

We'll have to figure this out all together. I'm sure we won't all caravan together, especially the whole way, but gathering rigs as we head into the rally sure would make an impression and show our support for having rallies closer to our region.

Kristy

Kristy, I completely agree. Maybe we can at least all agree to merge in SLC, if not before, Trace

Last edited:

funntheson

As we are getting closer to the reservation date, I would like to kick this discussion back into action.

I am seriously considering making this trip, and would love to caravan from So Cal or Las Vegas to Gilette.

Who is going to step up with a proposed daily itenerary?

If I do head to the ralley, I will split off after the event, and come home through WY (Jackson Hole), MT (West Yellowstone), ID, OR & CA, spending 2-3 days at each stop.

I am looking forward to the possibility!

Larry

back2nature

We have other things going on right now, so I probably won't start planning our trip till later December. Not sure how many days ahead of the rally we want to spend getting there.

I try to get all the RV park reservations by first week in January. This past summer, we did the big trip through the Black Hills, Battlefield of Little Big Horn in Montana, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Moab, Monument Valley, Santa Fe, etc. So we are not sure yet where we are going after next year's rally. We are thinking maybe back to the Black Hills because it was so pretty.

TandT

Larry,
We will most likely be in Kanab/Hurricane Ut. area in May, before rally. We can hook up with anyone coming through Vegas, St George or Salt Lake City on the way to Gillette.
Jackson Hole/Yellowstone after Gillette,works for us.
I think Bob (Bob&Patty) said he would meet us in St George. There is also a few day rally in Cody, near Yellowstone, after Gillette, which is another possible stop along the way.

I agree, reservations in Yellowstone are probably a must-do around December.

Trace

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
There is also a few day rally in Cody, near Yellowstone, after Gillette, which is another possible stop along the way.

Trace

Just an FYI. The rally dates for Cody are the 21st thru 24th. We are still trying to firm eveything up and will have a posting soon with details. There are tons of things to see and do here if interested.

back2nature

Jackson Hole/Yellowstone after Gillette,works for us.

Trace

Trace,
Don't know if you've done the Yellowstone area yet, but I'll throw my two cents in since we did it this last summer. Not too much to accommodate a big rig like ours in Yellowstone. We chose to camp in Colter Bay on the Jackson Lake. It's between Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, so it's easy to sightsee both areas. There are two camping spots there. The campground is dry camping. We drove through it and did not like it at all. You park the RV parallel to the road. Your slides are almost sticking out in the road. The RV Park is where we stayed. full hookups, very nice. Under the trees. Five minute walk to the lake. Only problem was mosquitoes last year. Get reservations early. Can do it online. Gets totally booked up in summer. Here's a link: http://www.gtlc.com/lodging/colter-bay-village-rv-park.aspx

Some pics of the Colter Bay RV Park:

IMG_6487.jpgIMG_6490.jpgIMG_6493.jpgIMG_6494.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6487.jpg
    IMG_6487.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 22

funntheson

Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park is located in West Yellowstone, Montana. Someone said this is a nice park. I have been in West Yellowstone several times. It is a cool, little town, and it is just 4 blocks from the West entrance to Yellowstone.

TandT

Larry, Lori,
I have been to West Yellowstone, but not for years. I was in my SOB (Lance) camper, so I really wasn't thinking size restrictions.
Came in through Jackson Hole area. Stayed in the park. I will look at your suggestions. Thanks,Trace

TandT

If we are going to do Yellowstone per se, I have to agree Larry, your suggestion looks convenient.
As, I recall, I could have spent a week easily just in Yellowstone.

On the other hand, Grand Tetons are beautiful as well. Sounds like maybe a couple of days there also? I don't know, tuff call.
Yellowstone is one of my top 10 favorite places on earth however. Trace

back2nature

Trace,

F.Y.I. the drive from the Colter Bay RV Park to the south entrance of Yellowstone is just 17 miles. So your almost there anyway. Very close to Old Faithful. So i;ts easy to take day trips to Yellowstone from Colter Bay. We thought the view around Jackson Lake was just beautiful. Also, take in Jenny Lake, which is south of Jackson Lake. With the Grand Teton mountains behind it, it's a picture postcard. At the south end of Jenny Lake, there is a parking lot, and you can either take one of their hiking trails and then take a boat ride back, or get on your own bicycle and take the bike path with the Grand Tetons in view. Just gorgeous.

Photos below of the bike trail and Jenny Lake:

IMG_6641.jpg IMG_6645.jpg IMG_6443.jpg IMG_6447.jpg

funntheson

While I agree that the Grand Teton and Jackson Hole area are beautiful, I think we would prefer to spend a couple days there seperate from our visit to Yellowstone.

According to Mapquest:

Colter Bay Village to Old Faithful = 58.24 miles (1 hour, 50 minutes)

West Yellowstone to Old Faithful = 31.27 miles (1 hour, 1 minute)

Trace, Yellowstone is definately one of my favorite places as well.

TandT

Just bringing this thread back around. Another week has come and gone. How about a sign up sheet with who is going/stops along the way/ where can you join the group, etc?

We need one of our fearless leaders to be the Wagonmaster of the Pacific Region Group. ......You know, one of the names that are in color :)

It would be great to have someone who is organized. We usually fly more by the seat of our pants. Trace

Last edited:

back2nature

Okay, tonight we're sitting down with laptop and starting to plan the Gillette trip from the Los Angeles area. We are thinking of driving through Las Vegas and stay the first night in Cedar City. One more stop before Gillette, maybe Salt Lake City or a bit beyond. Anyone else planning this?

Also, we are thinking of going up to Glacier National Park after, but we loved the Grand Teton area last summer (so beautiful), so we want to do that again too, before Glacier. Anyone?

Rodbuster

Hello everybody,

Does the Southeastern or Eastern Region have a place for discussion to the Gillette Rally such as this one?