PCS not seeing Generator. No Power to A/C and 110v.

So we're still trying to figure out our 5th wheel and all of the inns and outs. We have a 2019 Cyclone 4101. We've been connected to shore power without a problem. Last night the power went out due to a storm so we fired up the generator. I noticed on the PCS monitor it showed generator none. (When hooked up to shore power it shows 50A) I tried digging into that more however the owners manual only shows the 3 button model and ours has a two button one. (Would be nice to know how to operate it haha) It seems weird that it says none though when the generator was running.

The battery indicator went from 3/4 lights to 4/4 lights while running lighting. So to me that means the generator is powering the lights and batteries. However we couldn't get the A/C or more importantly the fridge to come on. (What goods a generator if you can't stop your food from spoiling lol) It doesn't appear any of the 110v outlets were on either. Both 30A breakers on the front of the generator were on and all of the circuits in the circuit breaker were on as well. (I didn't think to try to reset them all by turning them off or on but when shore power came back on everything fired right up). My first thought is maybe I'm missing something simple like a switch to get the PCS to see it. Or maybe it's something with the transfer switch but it was 1am and so we called it a night.

I've never really dealt with the electrical on a RV. (Have some experience with our house when we had it.) I'm not sure what the transfer switch looks like (I've read it should have 2 ins and 1 out of large cables). I imagine it will be in the front by the batteries/inverter if not then I've read it's behind the wall in the basement (we were just back there replacing our hot water heater element). But again not entirely sure what I'm looking for (rectangle, square, 6"x6" larger etc) or the best way to go about diagnosing it once I do find it. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Especially if it's simple and I don't need to have someone out.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220811_203857.jpg
    20220811_203857.jpg
    750 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220811_203911.jpg
    20220811_203911.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220811_211457.jpg
    20220811_211457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

david-steph2018

When you turned the generator off, did it go off without the switch flashing any lights? These flashing lights are certain codes to indicate problems.
Also, check and make sure the breakers on the front were not tripped, as stated above.

The fridge, do you have a RV style fridge or a residential home style fridge? If residential, with the dedicated inverter for the fridge in the rig, the inverter should had been available to power the fridge. If you have a residential fridge, the inverter for the residential fridge is in the compartment with the batteries. Our inverter is above the batteries. There is a GFCI outlet on the bottom of the inverter check and make sure that is not tripped.

But all of this is depending on if you have a residential fridge in the rig.

The transfer switch should be behind the basement wall, and yes, 2 cables in, 1 cable out to the breaker box. I had to replace our transfer switch in 2020. Before you get into the transfer switch make sure all power is off. Then check and make sure the connections are tight. IF you do not feel comfortable working on this, by all means get somebody who can work on it.

Last edited:

wdk450

Your transfer switch is a medium sized phenolic box with large gauge 2 phase (4 wires) cables going in and out of it - 2 cables from the supply sources going in, 1 cable of the selected supply feed going to the breaker box, Usually in the basement compartment near the breaker box inside.
There are some pics on this page: https://www.amazon.com/Elkhart-LPT50BRD-Automatic-Transfer-Switch/dp/B007HS0ONG

It is a 3 wire, 2 position large relay (50 amp 2 phase contactor) .

When you turned the generator off, did it go off without the switch flashing any lights? These flashing lights are certain codes to indicate problems.
Also, check and make sure the breakers on the front were not tripped, as stated above.

The fridge, do you have a RV style fridge or a residential home style fridge? If residential, with the dedicated inverter for the fridge in the rig, the inverter should had been available to power the fridge. If you have a residential fridge, the inverter for the residential fridge is in the compartment with the batteries. Our inverter is above the batteries. There is a GFCI outlet on the bottom of the inverter check and make sure that is not tripped.

But all of this is depending on if you have a residential fridge in the rig.

The transfer switch should be behind the basement wall, and yes, 2 cables in, 1 cable out to the breaker box. I had to replace our transfer switch in 2020. Before you get into the transfer switch make sure all power is off. Then check and make sure the connections are tight. IF you do not feel comfortable working on this, by all means get somebody who can work on it.
I don't recall any flashing lights (On the PCS monitor I assume is where you mean) I'll Double check it after work. I'll also manually reset the two breakers on the generator for good measure.

It's a residential fridge. I checked the GFCI on the inverter it wasn't flipped. It was powered. I'll get a picture later as well. I work a weird shift so it'll be after 1030 pst that I get it all uploaded on here.

david-steph2018

I don't recall any flashing lights (On the PCS monitor I assume is where you mean) I'll Double check it after work. I'll also manually reset the two breakers on the generator for good measure.

It's a residential fridge. I checked the GFCI on the inverter it wasn't flipped. It was powered. I'll get a picture later as well. I work a weird shift so it'll be after 1030 pst that I get it all uploaded on here.
No, the start switch on the front of the generator. If there is a code for problems, it will flash. For example, only, for a code 34, it will flash 3 times, wait a few seconds then flash 4 times. When you turn it off or it cuts off on it's own, if it flashes these codes count the flashes.

Here is a link to Onan Generator manuals, it does help:

The GFCI, use a multimeter and check for the voltage coming out. If the voltage coming out is good, and the fridge outlet is working when you are on shore power, you may have a bad transfer switch for the fridge there.
You could be looking at more than one/separate issues. One issue could be the generator not powering and then other issue could be the transfer switch for the fridge.

Reactions: QnB