screwed up factory wiring ATS

roy67ss

This is a heads up for all. I just discovered that the wiring of my ATS was wrong from the factory. The switch began to make a latching - unlatching noise that would last for up to a minute. I removed the cover and discovered that the factory wiring idiot had wired the shore power input side to the generator input terminals. My unit is a 2011 Road Warrior so, the switch has been latched whenever we were on shore power for that long and the switch has finally wore out. If you have an issue with this, the first clue will be a 30 - 60 second delay for power to come on when you hook up to shore power. You should also hear the switch activate when the power comes on. If it is wired correctly, the power is instantly on. With the cover off, there is a green led that turns on when the generator is the source. Mine was on when connected to shore power. My switch is a Progressive Dynamics PD52V 5200 series. Hopefully, this info will help someone. It's not the first wiring problem I have found with this rig and really highlights the factory shortcomings. This is 50 amp service that should only have been done by a qualified journeyman.

6.7LMegaCab

Wait until you experience low line voltage from shore power then the AC kicks on. It'll chatter faster than a wood chuck chucks. I could use a stick to press the relay down and that might work for a little while. So much for them working at lower voltages. I had one line down as low as 107V, which if I recall, the relays are supposed to work down to 90V under a load.

After replacing the ATS twice, both under warranty, I called it before installing the last new one I received from PD and put in a manual switch. Now I can control when to switch between shore and gen power. As for anything that might be considered essential, I just wired those circuits to a 2K inverter with a built in transfer switch to shift between shore/gen power to battery in the event either primary power sources go out or shut down.

There is no surprise with how things get wired or installed by the factory. Many folks claim that some of the DC circuits are supposed to have circuit breakers with the manual reset button, I think primarily the one for the battery. Mine didn't have one. But those are wearable items, so after an issue with a couple of them, I replaced all of them.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

sengli

Dont sweat it, it was wired by a guy who gets rewarded by going home early if he gets more than 20 done a hour!

roy67ss

"Wait until you experience low line voltage from shore power then the AC kicks on. It'll chatter faster than a wood chuck chucks."
I didn't think it would ever chatter on shore power as that is the default side basically straight thru and only disconnects when the generator side is energized.

6.7LMegaCab

I didn't think it would ever chatter on shore power as that is the default side basically straight thru and only disconnects when the generator side is energized.
It definitely did. So if I recall correctly, the coils are energized on shore power so when the generator kicks on they get de-energized isolating shore power which prevents the generator from passing power through to shore side. These were definitely hooked up correctly from the factory as confirmed by PD.

roy67ss

The green led will light up when the source is the generator. Mine was on with shore power. This light is under the cover of the unit if it is a PD52.

6.7LMegaCab

That's why I liked the version they had with the remote display. An LED under a cover, in the basement, doesn't do anyone any good. I was a little disappointed when they said they discontinued that model.