PDI question

branson4020

Icantre Member
Not common, but some do. It's just a way to make extra money on the sale of the rig, like trying to sell you paint sealant or an extended warranty. I personally find it infuriating and would never buy from a dealer that did it.

GOTTOYS

I would walk out the door if they wanted to charge me. Not that hard to find another dealer...Don

traveler44

I had a big PDI check list ready when I picked ours up but the dealer told us that they had already checked all of that stuff. They did a real thorough walk through showing us how everything worked. Then they let us stay on the lot for 2 days while they fixed things we found wrong and added slide and vent covers. In that time I tried out everything to see if it would work like it is supposed to. The dealer should have a battery installed and propane filled when you pick it up. It would be nice if they have water and electric available too like we had. Then you can check out nearly anything. I don't think they charged for the PDI and I had an idea that Heartland paid them to do the PDI anyway.

aatauses

We were not charged and I guess if they would have tried to charge us, I probably would have found another dealer.
al
ps---We took about 3 hours looking at everything with a check sheet

wdk450

I know that a lot of us have questions about just how much Quality Assurance checking is done at the factory, and believe that the Dealer PDI is the final checkout inspection in that process. Most of us believe that the water lines have never had water in them to test for leaks, the gas lines have never had gas in them, the refrigerator has never been brought down to temp after it was installed, etc. The dealer PDI should check all of these functions, and it is very much advised that after a thourough PDI, you stay a couple of days near or at the Dealer's lot to find more stuff you might have missed, to get it on the warranty repairs list.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know that a lot of us have questions about just how much Quality Assurance checking is done at the factory, and believe that the Dealer PDI is the final checkout inspection in that process. Most of us believe that the water lines have never had water in them to test for leaks, the gas lines have never had gas in them, the refrigerator has never been brought down to temp after it was installed, etc. The dealer PDI should check all of these functions, and it is very much advised that after a thourough PDI, you stay a couple of days near or at the Dealer's lot to find more stuff you might have missed, to get it on the warranty repairs list.

I do know they factory does check the water lines and when you do a factory tour you can see the finished products coming out of the assembly building with water dripping from the drains where they had been checked and they are draining the tanks. I can also say when I went through the PDI training we were told that a reasonable charge to the dealer for my services would be between $50 to $150. How the dealer makes up for that it should be built into the price.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is it common for dealers to charge for PDI?

I have heard only of one dealer, who's name starts with the letter "M", charging for PDI.
I was not charged for PDI from my dealer.

PM me, if you want specifics. Trace

Last edited:

ccupton

Our dealer tried to charge us $ 2000.00 for a PDI. We told him he could keep the trailer and we would go somewhere else. The worst part is they had done nothing to our rig as a PDI. I will not mention the name ,but it starts with an M.

pegmikef

I have only bought two rigs, but have never been charged. In fact I was so impressed with the PDI done by Big Country RV in Abilene, TX when I bought my Edge, that I made it a point to go in and mention it to the owner. He said he always gave the tech an extra 20 bucks because he felt it was one of the most important parts of the sale for retaining and getting repeat customers and customer recommendations. Hehehe, it worked because I guess I just did.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This might clear the air on PDI charges. Mike Moreland told me that HL DOES NOT pay a dealer for the CUSTOMER PDI. They do however pay the dealer to do the pre-delivery PDI. So if your dealer does charge for a PDI. Then I guess it's within their rights. Most go dealers don't.

BTW, Chris and Trace, doesn't the "M" stand for McMa***'s???:(:confused::eek: