Phone and Internet on the road - need recommendations

Garypowell

Re: Recomendations Wanted

We use an AT&T hotspot for our basic connectivity. Again since we run a business we NEED to be connected and frankly don't "trust" the RV wireless. We do all of our banking via our computers....so we cannot take any chances.

When I first set it up I was not aware that this hot spot was also a router. Linda and I do a lot of file sharing (using dropbox) and we syncronize our ACT databases nightly so prior to using the hot spot there was always wires running around the RV.

Since the hot spot is also a router we now "talk" effortlessly and have also purchased a wireless printer that stays in the RV....so no more wires.

I will sometimes travel away from the RV for an overnight trip....I leave the hot spot for Linda and simply teather my phone (3G) to the computer for connectivity. Once we are done with our 2 year we will probably switch over to newer 4G phones for the speed. It might be tempting at that point to lose the hot spot....but then we'd have to purchase a wired router and from experience that is very clumbsy to use when you have your connectivity coming through a tethered phone.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Re: Recomendations Wanted

WE have AT&T with the Mobile Share plan that makes our phones a hotspot. We have used it for 6 months without any problems at all. Although most parks do have wifi it generally is not very good and dependent on how many are on it at any given time. We have 6 gigs per month and for the average person that should be more than enough.