Pictures of blowout

arisce

Hi ct0218
I had the trailer weighed at a cat scales on my way down. The trailer axles were supporting 11,700# which is under the maximum of 14,000# because we have the two 7,000# axles,i-e, BH 3600RL. If you divide 11,700 by 4 tires then you get 2925 per tire. Our g rated tires are rated for 3750 which is way under by 825. By the way those are can $ which translate into 250.00 US. To replace all would be over a 1,000 US with tax and all-in Quebec we have a surtax on tires. I say all because they say you should not mix tires.

arisce

ct0218 said:
Not good news. I looked at the price of the tire and about fainted-until I realized that's Canadian dollars. Not sure what that would be US, but it is a lot. Still would like to know the % of failures on these tires. If Heartland has put these on 300 to 400 fivers, times four, and only had a few failures then that is not too bad. If there have be 15 or 20 or more, then that is another story. Are you close to maximum weight? Just curious.
See above.

jbeletti

jjjelm,

Good find at Discount Tire. Thanks for sharing. Of course, because it's on the web does not make it 100% fact but I read through it all and it seems plausible to me. I will take a risk and post it here. Perhaps others, more knowledgeable can weigh in on this document's accuracy as well as its applicability to other brands (this is for Carlisle) of trailer specific tires. Bear in mind, this excerpt is from a company that benefits from tire sales so their replacement intervals may seem a bit short to some of us.

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trailer Tire Facts (from Discount Tire website)

Trailer Tire Applications
• Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only, not for the loads applied to or the traction required by drive or steering axles.

• An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.

• Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
Inflation

• Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.

• Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.

• If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add 3 psi to the max inflation.

• Underinflation is the number 1 cause of trailer tire failure.
Load Carrying Capacity

• All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.

• The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the GVW of the axle.

• The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.

• If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire was likely subjected to excessive loading.

• If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.
Speed

• All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

• As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.

• The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time
• Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.

• In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone.

• Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.

• It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
• Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.

• The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.

• The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire
• "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.

• The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.

• The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.

• "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage
• The ideal storage is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.

• Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.

• Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.

• For long term storage: Put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires, lower the air pressure and cover tires to protect from direct sunlight.

Maintenance
• Clean the tires using mild soap and water.

• Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.

• Inspect for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.

• Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Three Keys to Avoiding Trouble
1. Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
2. Maintain the tires meticulously.
3. Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.

arisce

Thanks!

Thanks all and Jim in particular
For your concern. As you know we have had a string of bad luck with our unit. I must say that we still like the unit despite all that has happened. We will be at the rally next year come **** or highwater. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we would not miss it for the world. We met wonderful people and made some friends. Karen has volunteered for the food committee and enjoying every minute. As for me the events were disheartening but that was overshadowed when my Dad fell and was hospitalized. He nearly died but like the trooper that he is he pulled through. I swear they do not make them like that anymore. Anyway I did not post these pictures to scare people but to inform. I think we all benefit when something happens to inform people on the conditions. If it can save just one of us from these events then it is worth it. There are some that have a vast knowledge of camping and I always learn from them. Once again thanks!

BTW, my Dad is now out of the hospital and recuperating in a nursing home. I saw him yesterday and he looks stonger. He is 91 and still full of life and a great sense of humour. He claims that he did not die because the devil is not ready for him. He is an inspiring man.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Arisce, Sorry to hear about your Dad, I am glad to hear that he is doing much better now. My Dad past away in 1965 and I was only 24 years old and my Grandpapast away long before I was born. So I had to learn alot of things on my own. I am so glad you can enjoy your father this long, you just do not know how important that is to your family!! Evans & Lana

Trap

Arisce I can relate to you about your father, mine took a tumble down a set of stairs last wednesday night, fortunately for him and us, other than a couple of cuts on his leg he was only scraped and bruised. At 86 he's still pretty wiry and tough. It didn't slow him down to much. It put a good scare into us though as he still wants to be on his own and take care of himself.

All the best Trap

arisce

As I write our unit is still at the dealer for repairs due to the blowout. If anyone is wondering it has been there since June 12. I phoned on Friday and the latest is that they sent (Heartland) the wrong size mag wheel. I don't know who to believe. I just want our unit back. The guarantee is up next month. Sure would like to use it before the guarantee expires. That's life.

P.S. My Dad continues to get stronger. He will be ready to return in a few weeks.

arisce

jpmorgan37 suggested that we e-mail Scott for an extension on the guarantee. Karen will do this. She is on a committee and she has business to do with Scott. My father is doing well but he will not be home soon. We might have to sell the condo. Although he is getting stronger the Doctor thinks that he can't live alone anymore. Another fall would be fatal.

P.S. John thanks for all the advice. We will be asking for #411 again. Hope you will be our neighbour again.

arisce said:
Thanks all and Jim in particular
For your concern. As you know we have had a string of bad luck with our unit. I must say that we still like the unit despite all that has happened. We will be at the rally next year come **** or highwater. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we would not miss it for the world. We met wonderful people and made some friends. Karen has volunteered for the food committee and enjoying every minute. As for me the events were disheartening but that was overshadowed when my Dad fell and was hospitalized. He nearly died but like the trooper that he is he pulled through. I swear they do not make them like that anymore. Anyway I did not post these pictures to scare people but to inform. I think we all benefit when something happens to inform people on the conditions. If it can save just one of us from these events then it is worth it. There are some that have a vast knowledge of camping and I always learn from them. Once again thanks!

BTW, my Dad is now out of the hospital and recuperating in a nursing home. I saw him yesterday and he looks stonger. He is 91 and still full of life and a great sense of humour. He claims that he did not die because the devil is not ready for him. He is an inspiring man.

Ouch after seeing that kind of damage to the undercarriage and the tire exploding !
It sure makes me take a second look at what tires are on my coach. I did some researches on googles and etc, on Mission tires and this is what I found from different forum for everyone’s info
Mission Tires any info out there
Coast to Coast open forum web site:
http://www.coastresorts.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15661212/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
RV.net web site: Mission tires..... Defective ? ?
http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15946727.cfm
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17975396.cfm
Woodalls open forum: Mission Tires Blowout

http://www.woodalls.com/forums/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15833870.cfm

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I said this before, There is a lot of force on the running gear of our coaches. The wheel lugs, every low speed turn there are very large side loads that can shear the studs that are not correctly torque to spec. Also, large side wall forces on the tires can damage the cords and you will not know it. Say sometime we hit potholes, jump curbs, I know we all try not to but it happens. Then on top of that, the ST type are only rated for 65 mph. It goes without saying, the tires are cheap compared to the damage they can cause!

Uncle Rog

We had a blow out 8/24 out side of Lodi, we were lucky, the tire did shred but it did not tear the body OR the wiring harness for the slide. The dilemma now is that the spare I replaced is not rated for the weight. The load range on the installed tires are G, the plate calls for an E range, which does not seem right.

Uncle Rog

Has anyone found a source for the G rated tires? I buy truck tires at work and thought it would be easy to find them, not so.........

jbeletti

Uncle Rog,

Only one I found was Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST. For my Landmark, I used LT 235/85-R16 G. Ordered mine at Sears Auto.

Jim

Uncle Rog

Thanks Jim, do you really think it matters if you run mixed tires? Some say yes, some say no. I hate to buy more than I need, but I do plan on adding a 2nd spare after this last road trip. Maybe running like pairs on the same axle?

Uncle Rog

Jim, I found a Trail America distributor 30 miles from my house by contacting them by e mail, they are a wholesaler who sells the public. They even do axles and large stuff too. Global Direct Components in Temecula Ca, 800-282-2801. Maybe they have branches around the country?

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bill and Karen,

I am now in the same boat as you. This afternoon on our way home from a State Park in SC we blew the left rear tire. Looks to be tread separation. I had checked the tire pressure before starting out and was right on the money. I have even resorted to buying a pyrometer to monitor tire temperatures. We had only traveled 46 miles when the tire blew. The sheetmetal on the living room slide is all torn up as well as the wheel opening/fender flair. We called Goods Sams ERS but they were quoting a 3 hour wait time for assistance along side the interstate. SCDOT rescue truck stopped by, was able to inflate the spare tire the DEALER just put under it just two weeks ago and jack up the trailer and get it changed. Looks like we will be more weeks in the shop for repair. (Just got it out last week after 5 weeks) I am working on pics.

Phil

arisce

Hi Phil Smith,
Certainly understand your situation. It is not pleasant. We were doing about 45 when the tire blew. The noise was loud. I was never told what caused the blowout. Had several people speculate but none of them struck me as plausible. I guess we will never know. I did phone Trail America but they wanted the tire for analysis before they said anything. I told them that the tire was all over highway 69 in Michigan. They said that I should have sent them the pieces. Asked him if I have another blowout and I send pieces will they do anything. He said that they could not analyse pieces. At this point I gave up and said that I would deal with another tire maker and wished him a good day. Keep us posted.

arisce

Phil I forgot to mention that in the BH general area, BH-ask the factory, the thread under tires there is a good discussion on this situation started by dieselengineer. See #23 and 24 post for conditions. Good luck!

Last edited:

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
It looks like everything will evantually work out. I contacted the US office for Kenda Tire. I will have to get estimates on the camper repair and they will pay for the repairs. As for the tires, there have been a number of problems with the Kenda Klever A/P LT235/85/R16 Load Range E 80 PSI tires. They are going to replace all 5 tires. I will be able to buy the tires, make and dealer of my choice and they will reimburse at up to $110/tire (tread depth to determine actual reimbursement).

So far, they are VERY easy to work with. For those out there with this same tire, I would recommend a phone call to Roger Ansel of Kenda USA to see if it would be in your best intrest to get them changed before tire failure occurs. The phone number is 800-225-4714 x231. Be prepared with the full DOT code from your tires.

As for me, I am considering the Michelin XPS Rib. It will cost me some out of pocket money but if I can avoid more tire failure it will be worth the peace of mind.

Phil