Pin box adjustment

Securityman

Just wondering if anyone has made pin box adjustments to level their cyclone to the truck , my hitch can't go any lower , is a B&W Comp. hitch . And I am still not perfectly level . And I was looking at the pin box , got 3 bolts on the front 2 sides and 2 on the rear 2 sides and a lower hole in the rear that's empty , looks like I can loosen up the 6 bolts up front on the 2 sides and take out the 4 rear and try to move the pin up in the front maybe have 1-2 in adjustment if that's how it works and put the 4 bolts back in the rear once I lower it to the new holes. And that would be all I need I believe , any help would be great as this is my 1st 5th wheel , here's a pic I took at a rest area .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 139

Bones

Just wondering if anyone has made pin box adjustments to level their cyclone to the truck , my hitch can't go any lower , is a B&W Comp. hitch . And I am still not perfectly level . And I was looking at the pin box , got 3 bolts on the front 2 sides and 2 on the rear 2 sides and a lower hole in the rear that's empty , looks like I can loosen up the 6 bolts up front on the 2 sides and take out the 4 rear and try to move the pin up in the front maybe have 1-2 in adjustment if that's how it works and put the 4 bolts back in the rear once I lower it to the new holes. And that would be all I need I believe , any help would be great as this is my 1st 5th wheel , here's a pic I took at a rest area .
Do you have air ride in your truck?

'Lil Guy'

Is yours the one with the turnover ball mount in bed? If so, I'm having the same issue with my E289 even after I lifted it. I looked at the two uprights (triangular) which bolt to the side of the mount in bed. I am thinking about cutting some off the bottom and drilling another set of holes to tie it in. Due to the angle, you have to move the top hole over a bit on the angled side. Should work and be as strong or stronger with the reduced height.
I called the dealer about it and said they should offer a lower set of uprights as an option. They said no and if I modify it, the warranty is voided. Not concerned with the warranty, just a good level pull on my rig. I'm waiting delivery on my new rig before I touch it. However, I'm sure I can make it right. I may have to notch the base about an inch in the center also to let the hitch sit right. I know this can be done without jeopardizing the integrity of the hitch.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If all the bolts are re-used, I see no problem with it. If bolts have to be deleted to do it...then I would have a problem/issue with it.

Bones

No air ride , I did put Firestone air bags on it , to help with the concrete highways .
Have you measured from the roof to the ground to see what your height is at this angle? If it is not too high from the highest point then you may want to consider leaving as is maybe. But that depends if you have space to spare in between the truck bed and the camper. If you have space to spare then you could raise the pin box and be good.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Running into a similar issue with our new pin box. The Flex Air sits around 3.25" lower than the standard box. Fortunately I have 2 bolt holes to drop the Reese hitch. I think that is about 3" of drop.

Bob&Patty

Just make sure that after you move the pinbox up.....you have 6-7" of clearance between the top bed rail and the lower part of the pinbox.

Securityman

Ok , I will take more measurements once I hook it back up to the truck , I don't think it's to far off now , but trying to get it perfect . So if I take all 4 bolts out of the rear pin box, and just lossen the front 6 , I should be able to shift the rear pin box down a 1in or so to the lower set of holes while all 6 bolts are in the front of the pin box but left loose , it should move ? Right

donr827

This does not apply to your hitch but I had the same problem with my BH and Pullrite Superglide hitch. Pullrite came out with rail lift extensions that fit on top of the original rails and raise the front of the trailer 1 1/2". Leveled the trailer and gave me extra bed clearance.
Don

Bob&Patty

Well maybe. When I installed the Mor/Ryde pin box, I had to remove all the bolts. It would depend on if the bolt holes line up when you pivot it up. I found if you have to remove it...back your truck under the pin box with the tailgate down. You will need 2 "rolling head" bars so you can line up the holes. Leave the front of the pin box weight in the truck. Start at the rear holes and get 2 bolts in and loosely install the washers and nuts. I don't know what you think a pin box weigh's...but a Mor/Ryde is about 150#. If you can get help...do it. They ain't light.

GOTTOYS

Well maybe. When I installed the Mor/Ryde pin box, I had to remove all the bolts. It would depend on if the bolt holes line up when you pivot it up. I found if you have to remove it...back your truck under the pin box with the tailgate down. You will need 2 "rolling head" bars so you can line up the holes. Leave the front of the pin box weight in the truck. Start at the rear holes and get 2 bolts in and loosely install the washers and nuts. I don't know what you think a pin box weigh's...but a Mor/Ryde is about 150#. If you can get help...do it. They ain't light.
I put mine on by setting the pin box on a couple wooden block on the tailgate. Then I moved the trailer up or down with the front jacks on the trailer and slid the pin box around to line up the holes. ..Don

Securityman

Ok thanks , I Moved my pin box up to the next holes up one , put all bolts back in , 5 on each side . It was fun in the rain , not , had to put it back in the hitch and put the weight of the camper on it to push it up higher , worked well. Now my camper is pretty much perfect level compared to before , and my hitch is at the lowest setting , and still have 6 1/2 in between the camper and bed rail .

Bones

Ok thanks , I Moved my pin box up to the next holes up one , put all bolts back in , 5 on each side . It was fun in the rain , not , had to put it back in the hitch and put the weight of the camper on it to push it up higher , worked well. Now my camper is pretty much perfect level compared to before , and my hitch is at the lowest setting , and still have 6 1/2 in between the camper and bed rail .
Sounds like a win win. Good job. Glad it worked out.

Cjackg

When you change the hitch height and pin-box settings you really need to take a close look at how the truck rails and camper nose come together, especially at extreme angle maneuvering. The 6" clearance may be deceiving...

I have been working for some time on leveling my Cyclone 3110 with my 2015 Chevy, not perfectly just close, and am still far from level. The basic problem is the newer HD trucks sit higher and many of the trailers have not been raised to match.

One of the reasons I decided to replace the suspension on my Cyclone 3110 with the MorRyde Independent Suspension (I/S) was the opportunity to lift the 3110 closer to the truck height with the custom sub-frame MorRyde uses.

The first thing that MorRyde did was measure the height of both the truck and trailer. When the install was completed, after 2 days, it was soon apparent that there was only a small change in the trailer height. Very disappointing but the I/S does give a lot softer ride for the trailer as expected!

Turns out that there is a 1-2" height adjustment that could have been done in the I/S install but was overlooked so I still have a Nose-Hi 3110 but am negotiating with them about getting this resolved !

Sure would like to get this improved before I head west to AZ for the winter...

MorRyde-NoseHi.jpg

Last edited:

Michaeloh

Running into a similar issue with our new pin box. The Flex Air sits around 3.25" lower than the standard box. Fortunately I have 2 bolt holes to drop the Reese hitch. I think that is about 3" of drop.
Care to give us a review of the Flex Air? Lotsa folks interested I'm sure. particularly as regards dampening chucking.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Care to give us a review of the Flex Air? Lotsa folks interested I'm sure. particularly as regards dampening chucking.

I sure will. As soon as I get a chance to hook up and go. I am a little excited to finally give it a try. I will say that the Flex Air is heavy. About 230lbs. Made the final adjustment to it this evening. Was able to raise it up one more set of bolt holes. That was around 1.5". Only need to lower the hitch in the bed one set and I should be close to the pin height of the factory box.