Pioneer BH 270 Boondock Battery Upgrade

Murphy76

Good morning. I finally need to update my 2018 Pioneer battery and would like opinions on the best upgrade. Not sure if I want to spend the money for lithium yet, but want the best battery upgrade for the cost. Not opposed to spending money on a good battery, just not the lithium prices. Thoughts?

Typically we are off grid in southern Arizona 8-10x / year for family camping and hunting. Have no issues running a generator at night, but would be nice to have it a bit quieter at times when running the heater, but tend to wake up cold when the fan quits working.

Last edited:

Bogie

There is no single answer to your question. When off grid, the more Amp Hour capacity you have, the longer you can go on a charge.

Weather it's two 12 volt batteries or two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series, a good quality deep cycle battery should serve you well.
So you want to pay attention to the capacity ratings of batteries you are considering.

On my previous RV, I changed the single 12 volt battery to two Trojan T105 golf cart batteries. Golf cart batteries tend to have a higher Amp Hour rating than standard 12 volt batteries. On the negative side, the additional capacity is achieved by larger lead plates in the battery making them very heavy.

Today I run lithium batteries. More Amp Hours and not nearly as heavy.

david-steph2018

Good morning. I finally need to update my 2018 Pioneer battery and would like opinions on the best upgrade. Not sure if I want to spend the money for lithium yet, but want the best battery upgrade for the cost. Not opposed to spending money on a good battery, just not the lithium prices. Thoughts?

Typically we are off grid in southern Arizona 8-10x / year for family camping and hunting. Have no issues running a generator at night, but would be nice to have it a bit quieter at times when running the heater, but tend to wake up cold when the fan quits working.
Here is some reading information about batteries:

September 2022, we went lithium battery setup, and it has served us great. Currently boondocking at NAS Key West from December 10th to March 1st.

Murphy76

Bogie, thanks for the reply. I never thought about using a 6v golf cart battery, but either way, I will probably stick to a similar 12v option. Assuming most people just upgrade to a larger deep cycle battery that will provide more amp hours. Wasn’t sure if there was a favorite option people like over another.

I currently have a Centennial CB12-85 12V/85AH/20HR and it’s seemed to have done well over the past 2-years, but time for a larger option. Might see what Costco has to offer for an upgrade.

I have tge 2017 Prowler 261 P TH toy Hauler. I live v in Oregon and rry damp a lot.
I'm 72 and don't use a lot of accessories. I installed Renogy 200 watt suitcase solar panel and 2000 watt inverter. I had 2 6 volt US heavy duty batteries a few years and they worked ok but were very heavy. Approximately 65 pounds each. Could only use to about 50% charge. I decided switch to LifePo4 batteries. I went with 2 Eco Worthy 12.8 volt 100 amp hour batteries. 10 year life. 23 pounds each. 2 pack $ 230.99 each. I have yet to get them below 50 %. Best thing I ever did with an upgrade. Wish I did it years ago.
I paid more than this for the 2 - 6 volt batteries. Darn. Check the Eco Worthy batteries out. You'll be happy. I'm sure. I have no connection to Eco Worthy.
Ken in Oregon

cipwood

For what you will spend on that Centennial 85 ah you can get a 100 ah lifepo4 and have double the usable ah's with twice the longevity. About half the weight.

The only additional expense is maybe to upgrade your charger to be compatible with the po4 charging specs.

Last edited:

Routemaster

I now have six 12v 100Ah LiPO4 Batteries, going from flooded which now were starting to fail, changing to the LiPO4s I needed to reprogram the TriStar controller by TriStar tech and also had to purchase a new remote for the Magnum.
Den.