planning on purchasing a Bighorn next month and have some questions for the factory

bwdt

I'm looking at the 39MB and would like to know why it doesn't come with an extension table in the dining area? It would seem to me that if the coach is designed to have more people staying in it, then it should be able to accommodate more people at the table easily.

It also seems to me that it would be a really good ideal to add counter space where the pantry is to help with cooking for the extra people........hint, hint. :eek:

Lastly, Why is it that the heating floor registries are installed right in the middle of the floor, when the island is right in the middle of the room and the registries could be mounted on it. Just curios as to why the units with islands don't utilize this very simple upgrade.

Thank you for your time.

bwdt

Update:
I bought the Unit tonight, actually ordered it because I wanted the dual pane windows. It should be here in about ten weeks.

I do need some info on whether I should buy the extended warranty or not or if I should buy it from someone else or not. I did finance it and I get a 1% discount on the interest rate if I take it. Will be doing the math, but some info would be helpful.:D

I'm looking at the 39MB and would like to know why it doesn't come with an extension table in the dining area? It would seem to me that if the coach is designed to have more people staying in it, then it should be able to accommodate more people at the table easily.

It also seems to me that it would be a really good ideal to add counter space where the pantry is to help with cooking for the extra people........hint, hint. :eek:

Lastly, Why is it that the heating floor registries are installed right in the middle of the floor, when the island is right in the middle of the room and the registries could be mounted on it. Just curios as to why the units with islands don't utilize this very simple upgrade.

Thank you for your time.

Oregon_Camper

Warranty....some like it....some don't

If you are handy and are willing to roll-up your sleeves and fix stuff...then I'd say keep the $$$ and roll the dice.

If you don't feel comfortable doing repairs, then it might be a good choice to purchase the extended warranty.

I did not buy it (thought about it for a while) but end the end, we saved the money and I've done all the small jobs myself. Luckily, we've never had anything big go out (Frig, furnace..etc)

bwdt

Thanks for the info. They claim to warranty tires, slide gaskets, roof, everything, including rips and tares in the furniture plus the tow vehicle tires. I use to be a mechanic, and have been building and working on buildings forever.

Should I order the slide toppers? Reading about them now.

The only issues I have with the unit is the 2000 lb total capacity and the small water tanks. I might upgrade the axles and tires.

CoveredWagon

Thanks for the info. They claim to warranty tires, slide gaskets, roof, everything, including rips and tares in the furniture plus the tow vehicle tires. I use to be a mechanic, and have been building and working on buildings forever.

We ordered slide toppers after reading about them. After attending a few rallys we were told by several folks who DIDN’T have them they wish they did. I was very happy with our decision to buy. I saw several people on the roof sweeping off the top of their slides before closing them.

mlpeloquin

The only issues I have with the unit is the 2000 lb total capacity and the small water tanks. I might upgrade the axles and tires.

We added slide toppers after the first hard rain. The slide roof noise was very loud. Some would never have them so it is really a owners choice.

You can upgrade the tires and axles, but be aware that it will not increase the rated caring capacity that the frame is rated at. You can get heavy duty hangers with wet bolts and upgraded shocks to Bilstein or Easy Ryder shock system with Mor-Ryde X-Factor cross members, but the best would be the Mor-Ryde independent suspension system.

We changed out king pin box to Trailair Flexair and love it. Others have the Morride pin box and still others use the 5th Airborne. Then there is the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch. So there are lot of choices.

bwdt

Thanks for the replies, I added the toppers and am planning on using the Anderson Ultimate as I have gooseneck ball to install. My truck is older, but has lots of upgrades. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, mainly staying in one area for months and months at a time.

I'm looking for as much info on the extended warranties. The dealer is trying to sell me one, of course, and the interest rate on the loan changes by 1% if I don't get it. It's not as big concern as I plan on paying it off fairly quickly.

avvidclif

If the interest rate changes if you don't buy "THEIR" extended warranty it's time to look for another financing option. Completely separate from the dealership. My BS detector is going ballistic.

CoveredWagon

Thanks for the replies, I added the toppers and am planning on using the Anderson Ultimate as I have gooseneck ball to install. My truck is older, but has lots of upgrades. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, mainly staying in one area for months and months at a time.

I'm looking for as much info on the extended warranties. The dealer is trying to sell me one, of course, and the interest rate on the loan changes by 1% if I don't get it. It's not as big concern as I plan on paying it off fairly quickly.

You will love the Andersen hitch. If you do have any issues be sure and check this site for soulutions, you’ll be sure to find an answer. And if not you may be the first to fix something, then it’s your turn to share the fix. BTDT in our first year. Turned out to be a simple fix with a little work that Heartland and the product manufacture wanted to turn into a pain in the *** project.

bwdt

Re: planning on purchasing a Bighorn next month and have some questions for the factory (ordered unit)

Thanks for all of your input and help.

I'm going to contact BofA since that is the loan carrier and see how much BS is going on. I'm also going to research extended warranties and rates.

The factory or dealer extended warranty covers the structure and the furniture, and I'm told but not sure that the tire warranty is not pro-rated but full replacement.

Many have mentioned on other threads the the factory extended warranty is negotiable. I'll check into that as well.

Have any of you gone down the road over loaded on the gvw rating on your rigs? (not tire overloaded) I think its going to be hard to stay under with a total load capacity of 2000 lbs. I did find out that the frame is the same frame in the heavier units, but the axles and tires are not.........I wonder why they would build it this way and do this? Make a unit for more people but less capacity?

When I applied for a loan online, it was a joke. They wanted a 10% interest rate or higher and 20% down. I have an 800 credit score and they wanted to know why I haven't made any large purchased for ten years. I figured they were nuts!

I'll update with my findings next week.

Oregon_Camper

Re: planning on purchasing a Bighorn next month and have some questions for the factory (ordered unit)

When I applied for a loan online, it was a joke. They wanted a 10% interest rate or higher and 20% down.

Wow...I just checked my Credit Union and RV loans are 4.9%

srcooke

Ah, yes weight is an issue. We purchased a BH 3970RD in March loved the floor plan The base weight was 13950 with a GVW of 16200.. Though I was good, but by the time the options were added (before the washer and dryer), I was at 15,200. I figured I had 800 pounds tops to put all my worldly belongings in.. I was a bit over weight..Anyway for better or worse, Irma destroyed it on Sept 11. So needless to say I did not replace it with a BH.

Thanks for all of your input and help.

I'm going to contact BofA since that is the loan carrier and see how much BS is going on. I'm also going to research extended warranties and rates.

The factory or dealer extended warranty covers the structure and the furniture, and I'm told but not sure that the tire warranty is not pro-rated but full replacement.

Many have mentioned on other threads the the factory extended warranty is negotiable. I'll check into that as well.

Have any of you gone down the road over loaded on the gvw rating on your rigs? (not tire overloaded) I think its going to be hard to stay under with a total load capacity of 2000 lbs. I did find out that the frame is the same frame in the heavier units, but the axles and tires are not.........I wonder why they would build it this way and do this? Make a unit for more people but less capacity?

When I applied for a loan online, it was a joke. They wanted a 10% interest rate or higher and 20% down. I have an 800 credit score and they wanted to know why I haven't made any large purchased for ten years. I figured they were nuts!

I'll update with my findings next week.

bwdt

Ah, yes weight is an issue. We purchased a BH 3970RD in March loved the floor plan The base weight was 13950 with a GVW of 16200.. Though I was good, but by the time the options were added (before the washer and dryer), I was at 15,200. I figured I had 800 pounds tops to put all my worldly belongings in.. I was a bit over weight..Anyway for better or worse, Irma destroyed it on Sept 11. So needless to say I did not replace it with a BH.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in Florida working with Irma victims.
Did you like the unit? What issues did you have with it.
I could cancel the order and lose a grand, or I could do some upgrades for load, but it would probably void the warranty. May talk with the factory.......

Why did you leave the unit in the Hurricanes path? Did a tree fall on it, storm surge, or get blown over. Do you plan on replacing the unit with a different model or builder?

Just looking for some insight.

srcooke

Sorry to hear that. I'm in Florida working with Irma victims.
Did you like the unit? What issues did you have with it.
I could cancel the order and lose a grand, or I could do some upgrades for load, but it would probably void the warranty. May talk with the factory.......

Why did you leave the unit in the Hurricanes path? Did a tree fall on it, storm surge, or get blown over. Do you plan on replacing the unit with a different model or builder?

Just looking for some insight.

Thank You..We were hosting at one of the Ga state parks, staying in the safest site in the park we thought. We were about 150 miles east of the storm at that point. The wind blew down a couple of trees (over 100 feet each) that extended the entire length of the BH. Anyway, we loved the floor plan, just hated the weight limits. We ordered a new Mobile Suites 40KBBS, and should take delivery within the next couple weeks.

I guess I didn't really answer your question.. We loved everything about it.. The quality appeared to be good. The Furion appliances are much better than the appliances we had in our two previous Cedar Creek's. I thought the exterior finish could be a little better, but didn't have any issues with it.

bwdt

Thank You..We were hosting at one of the Ga state parks, staying in the safest site in the park we thought. We were about 150 miles east of the storm at that point. The wind blew down a couple of trees (over 100 feet each) that extended the entire length of the BH. Anyway, we loved the floor plan, just hated the weight limits. We ordered a new Mobile Suites 40KBBS, and should take delivery within the next couple weeks.

I wouldn't of believed a tree would have blown over that far inland.......Its amazing how strong storms can be. I hope I never end up traveling through one with the trailer.
Wow! those are really beautiful units. BIG! HEAVY! probably very solid. A little out of my price range at this time and you need a really big truck to tow it. So congratulations on the upgrade.

srcooke

I wouldn't of believed a tree would have blown over that far inland.......Its amazing how strong storms can be. I hope I never end up traveling through one with the trailer.
Wow! those are really beautiful units. BIG! HEAVY! probably very solid. A little out of my price range at this time and you need a really big truck to tow it. So congratulations on the upgrade.

Thanks.. I added some comments to my last message as I didn't really answer your original question. I think the BH are great units, I think the quality is there. They just need to address the weight issue. Look at the September issue of Trailer Life. The mention weight is an issue with the BH. Had I not bit the bullet and moved to the MS, I would have returned to a Cedar Creek (way more cargo capacity). Good luck to you what ever you do..

Kathi-27

Thanks.. I added some comments to my last message as I didn't really answer your original question. I think the BH are great units, I think the quality is there. They just need to address the weight issue. Look at the September issue of Trailer Life. The mention weight is an issue with the BH. Had I not bit the bullet and moved to the MS, I would have returned to a Cedar Creek (way more cargo capacity). Good luck to you what ever you do..
as for bh gvwr is 16000 lm is 18000 the frame is the same the difference is 8000 axles and 17.5 h rated tires on the lm. so I ordered upgraded 8000 axles and sold the g rated wheels and tires and upgraded to 17.5 h rated. so I should be safe for 18000 gvwr even though sticker says 16000. peace of mind also

bwdt

as for bh gvwr is 16000 lm is 18000 the frame is the same the difference is 8000 axles and 17.5 h rated tires on the lm. so I ordered upgraded 8000 axles and sold the g rated wheels and tires and upgraded to 17.5 h rated. so I should be safe for 18000 gvwr even though sticker says 16000. peace of mind also

I wish the factory would do the upgrade......

What did the axles, wheels and tires cost you and what did you get for the old wheels and tires? and maybe the axles? Do you think they will void your warranty because of it.

Oldelevatorman

Wait till after your original warranty is up to buy an extended warranty. They make a fortune on them at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

I wish the factory would do the upgrade......

What did the axles, wheels and tires cost you and what did you get for the old wheels and tires? and maybe the axles? Do you think they will void your warranty because of it.
2017 8000 axles where option, about 1500. wheels and tire bought at performance brakes 375 each with lug nuts, center caps and free shipping. sold old wheels and tires on craigs list for 1000. called heartland upgraded wheels and tires will not void warranty, they upgrade axles. also you get larger brakes that is nite and day. they will not give you a new gvwr sticker but that's not a problem I carry the paper work just I case. have never been checked.