Planning trip to Glacier National Park

DenaliHD

Trying to put a trip together to Glacier next summer and was wondering if they allow 40ft fifth wheels in or near the park. Are there campgrounds in or near the park that would work?

Jim Posz

We were there in 2014 and stayed in a private campground in West Glacier - North American RV Park. Pretty nice as I recall. There are also campgrounds outside the park to the east. Be aware that the main scenic road through the park is Going to the Sun Highway, and that you cannot pull a trailer of any size on it. Hope this helps.
Jim

IronJ

We are heading that way in 3 weeks!!! I know we are NOT staying in glacier, but near....I'll check with my planner (wife) and see where!...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Piperflyer

Just left there in my 42' 5th wheel. Stayed at the San-Suz-Ed RV Park which is about 1 mile from the entrance to West Glacier. Great place and easy to get in and out of, but you won't get TV there.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We'll be there the second week of September. Staying at the West Glacier KOA. They "say" they have sites to accomodate my 43' Newport.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Trying to put a trip together to Glacier next summer and was wondering if they allow 40ft fifth wheels in or near the park. Are there campgrounds in or near the park that would work?

There are a few first come first serve sites in the GNP Apgar CG (dry camping) you should fit. I'd do a drive through without the camper to verify. I fit my 36' BH in one of their pull thrus by backing in and there were several large motor homes there too.
Many many CG options outside the park.
NO campers on the Going to the Sun Road over the pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mashfam1

Good morning! Glacier is a great spot - best location for camping near West Glacier is North American RV Park - great sites, big rig friendly (we have 2015 BigHorn 3755FL - 41 ft) grassy, dog pen, yurts, cabins, full 30/50 hookups and great people - 1-800-704-4266 www.northamericanrvpark.com Make sure to go to The Huckleberry Patch for breakfast!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
West Glacier KOA has beautiful sites and is not that far from the park. It is where we would recommend staying. The pull through deluxe patio sites are a little spendy but worth it for a once in a lifetime trip! It is so beautiful and there are so many things to see. We recommend the evening "red bus tour" too!!

Rod

klindgren

West Glacier KOA has beautiful sites and is not that far from the park. It is where we would recommend staying. The pull through deluxe patio sites are a little spendy but worth it for a once in a lifetime trip! It is so beautiful and there are so many things to see. We recommend the evening "red bus tour" too!!

Rod
Rod, we plan on taking the "red bus tour." It's my understanding they pick you up right at the campground. Is that correct?

travelin2

Certainly recommend the red bus tour. The road on the west side of the pass and east of avalanche lake entrance is windy and so narrow in places I've pulled in my mirrors when meeting someone coming the other way. The narrator on the tour is informative and when riding you get to sightsee whereas when driving you're too busy watching the road.

For20hunter

If you are staying in the park they do. I have not hear of them coming outside of the park to pick people up. However with that being said, you can pull into the park and leave the truck at the lodge where there is a ton of parking and stuff to see while you wait for the red bus. Enjoy Keith and Carol! It is some of the most breath taking scenery in the US!

Rod

Rod, we plan on taking the "red bus tour." It's my understanding they pick you up right at the campground. Is that correct?

travelin2

It is some of the most breath taking scenery in the US!

Rod

That it is but unfortunately the name will soon have to be changed to "No glaciers left" NP as many have melted and disappeared.
You won't be disappointed though because wildlife abounds and the rock, flora and fauna are fantastic.
Make sure you ride around some of the back roads to the north in the park. Take the road, it's dirt, from Columbia Falls up to Polebridge and stop at the local mercantile, awesome baked goodies. Enter GNP northern entrance and check out Bowman Lake and Kintla Lake. Another back road will bring you down again to Lake McDonald.
Lots to see south of US 2 around Flathead Lake and in the Flathead NF too.

klindgren

If you are staying in the park they do. I have not hear of them coming outside of the park to pick people up. However with that being said, you can pull into the park and leave the truck at the lodge where there is a ton of parking and stuff to see while you wait for the red bus. Enjoy Keith and Carol! It is some of the most breath taking scenery in the US!

Rod
Thanks Rod. We are really looking forward to it. Carol has never been there and the only time I took the Going to the Sun Road, I was on my motorcycle. I really didn't get to see much of the park because I was so busy watching the road. I know I'll enjoy this trip a whole lot better.

For20hunter

Well have fun Keith and Carol and make sure that you guys take the time to either do the Red Bus Tour so you can both enjoy the sites, or drive it a couple times changing off who is driving so you both get to see the AMAZING views! Have fun and hope to see you down the road someday. I would love to meet you guys face to face and break some bread together.

Rod

Thanks Rod. We are really looking forward to it. Carol has never been there and the only time I took the Going to the Sun Road, I was on my motorcycle. I really didn't get to see much of the park because I was so busy watching the road. I know I'll enjoy this trip a whole lot better.

WilmanJim

You'll Love Glacier. We spent two weeks in the area and could have spent more. We hiked about 30 miles of trails and only put a dent in them. If you like Zip Lining, try Whitefish Mountain a little west of Glacier. Fun, Fun, Fun. Also if you head a little south of Kalispell in Big Fork, try Pocketstones Cinnamon Rolls. 1 is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Have Fun and Enjoy. We traveled the Hi Line Route 2 from St. Ignace MI to Everett WA and Loved it. Safe Travels.

Jim and Wilma

klindgren

Well have fun Keith and Carol and make sure that you guys take the time to either do the Red Bus Tour so you can both enjoy the sites, or drive it a couple times changing off who is driving so you both get to see the AMAZING views! Have fun and hope to see you down the road someday. I would love to meet you guys face to face and break some bread together.

Rod
Glacier was awesome. Just left there on Tuesday. We took the red bus tour up as far as we could, but the top of the Going to the Sun road (over Logan's Pass) was closed due to snow. We did get to within a couple of miles of there and did get a few flurries while at the turn around point. I highly recommend the red bus tour. It was so worth it. Guide was wonderful. He was able to fill in a lot of the history of the park. We got a ton of pictures

Rod, you going to be in Las Vegas? We could meet then. Or if you are near Seattle, that is where we are now (for the next 5 days).

For20hunter

Yes Keith, we will be there. I am about 60 miles south of Seattle in Olympia. Unfortunately, I am hosting a Police K-9 Seminar from now until next Wednesday so my days are full and about 14 hours long. But we can definitely meet and share some stories in Vegas. We leave Friday and begin our slow journey south toward Vegas then.

Rod

Glacier was awesome. Just left there on Tuesday. We took the red bus tour up as far as we could, but the top of the Going to the Sun road (over Logan's Pass) was closed due to snow. We did get to within a couple of miles of there and did get a few flurries while at the turn around point. I highly recommend the red bus tour. It was so worth it. Guide was wonderful. He was able to fill in a lot of the history of the park. We got a ton of pictures

Rod, you going to be in Las Vegas? We could meet then. Or if you are near Seattle, that is where we are now (for the next 5 days).

Piperflyer

Heard the other day from a fellow camper that going to the sun road is now closed for the winter.. I would definitely take the red bus tour when at Glacier. No fun having to drive that road.

8amps

I checked because we're considering going to Glacier on Tuesday if weather allows. Not to say it won't be closed by Tuesday, since the weather forecast calls for snow Tuesday - Friday but this from NPS website as of now.
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

Glacier National Park Current Road Status
as of 9:01AM Mountain Time on 9-16-2016

Currently all of the Going-to-the-Sun Road is open for travel.

Last edited: