Plugging in to a park's pedestal to run a third AC?

TxCowboy

I've read here many times people talking about plugging into a RV park's 110v AC outlet to run their 3rd air conditioner.

Haven't had the need to do that yet because the EMS does a good job of managing the cooling but would like to know how that procedure works if the need should ever arise.

After connecting the extension cord into the pedestal, what are you connecting the other end of the extension cord to?

jbeletti

Jeff - I'd think a person would have to pull the AC's power from the breaker in the breaker panel and wire an external receptacle for it.

That said, in most cases, the 50, 30 and 20 amp outlets in most CG pedestals are on the same 50 amp circuit. What I'm saying is, if you're connected using your 50 amp cord now, adding a 3rd air conditioner to an outlet at the CG pedestal is not getting you more power.

One benefit though would be less power drawn on one of your 50 amp legs in the coach power cord - shifting that draw to the line feeding the pedestal.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, here's the way I see it. You would have to install a separate circuit breaker in the panel if you have room for it. If not, you have to add a 2nd panel and get power from the existing one. Run a piece of 30 amp rolmex (10-2) from there to outside the LM. Then install a weather proof plug somewhere near the ODS rear corner. You might find room inside the cord reel area to do this. Make up a extension cord with 2 male ends (not always a good idea) to connect the LM to shore power. Maybe someone has a better way to do this.

TxCowboy

Bob and Jim, thanks. All that you said makes sense. It just clarifies something for me that I've read about but never personally done.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff are you sure you want to do all that stuff?? Just one more thing to go wrong. Your LM should be just fine the way it is now.

JanAndBill

The nice thing about having wheels is that if we don't like the climate we move. That said there have been times when both a/c's have struggled to keep our BH cool in the middle of the day. I guess if you were forced to stay in a hot climate for an extended period additional cooling would be nice. Have you considered one of those portable units for the occasional use?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Were I to run an extra extension cord from the pedestal to run an AC, I'd use a 30A RV cord with a 110V adapter on the trailer end of it. The heavier cord will be able to handle the voltage drop and current better than a lightweight cord will and not overheat, especially if that AC has to run for extended periods.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Were I to run an extra extension cord from the pedestal to run an AC, I'd use a 30A RV cord with a 110V adapter on the trailer end of it. The heavier cord will be able to handle the voltage drop and current better than a lightweight cord will and not overheat, especially if that AC has to run for extended periods.

Maybe overkill for just a single AC unit. In a S&B receptacles are wired with 12/2 romex. A good high quality construction grade 12/2 extension cord would be adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Last time I looked in the power pedestal at my site, the 50/30/20 amp circuit breakers plug into a buss that receives power from the park's power distribution system. There's no master breaker at the pedestal that cuts all power to the pedestal. Just breakers for each receptacle.

There are 2 power legs coming into the pedestal; each carrying 50 amps at 120V. Hopefully the 30 amp breaker is tied to 1 power leg and the 20 amp to the other. But, I haven't inspected the buss and breakers and wiring to see if that's the case. It's just my assumption. Worst case, one 50 amp leg is also carrying the additional 30 and 20 receptacles.

If I run everything inside the coach at the same time, and max out both 50 amp legs, I'd be using the full capacity of the 50 amp park pedestal. Another way of saying that is if your Power Control System starts shedding loads, you're running at or near the capacity of the pedestal.

If I then plug a separate 15 amp load into either the 30 amp receptacle, or the 20 amp receptacle, the total load on the pedestal will exceed it's capability. One leg will be trying to draw 65 amps from the park distribution system.

That leads to a question about the wiring from the park distribution system to the pedestal. Will the wire be ok with a 65 amp load? Since I don't have any knowledge of that wiring, I don't know. Maybe it's ok or maybe it'll get overheated.

Is there a 50 amp master breaker at the park distribution end of the wire? Will it trip if I try to draw 65 amps? Another unknown. But if it does trip, I'd guess I'll be without power until the park can get their electrician to investigate.

My advice is to rely on the Power Control System. If you want more air conditioning, have a pizza delivered so you don't have to run the cooktop or convection/microwave. Or dry your clothes later.

TxCowboy

Jeff are you sure you want to do all that stuff?? Just one more thing to go wrong. Your LM should be just fine the way it is now.

Bob, heck no! I just wanted to know what folks were talking about when they would post "connecting the 3rd AC to the pedestal". :)

danemayer

Bob, heck no! I just wanted to know what folks were talking about when they would post "connecting the 3rd AC to the pedestal". :)

I think that's mostly on Cyclones with 3 A/C units where there's no Power Control System. The factory wiring only allows running 2 units at any time.

Some people have removed the switch or rewired it, adding a 3rd circuit breaker to handle the 3rd A/C unit separately.

ptysonjr

I had my garage ac taken off the 3 way switch and had them put a male plug on side of coach for it. I then got a heavy standard 20 amp cord to plug into it. The breaker is on the pedestal so no need to add another. The dealer did this for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk