Plumbing issue -- who do you call?

TxCowboy

I have a small leak somewhere behind the UDC in my Landmark. After calling HL for a work authorization (it's clearly a warranty item), who do you call for repairs -- a regular plumber or will a good mobile tech service be better?

jayc

Legendary Member
I'd second the mobile tech. They make their living on their service and won't be around very long if they don't do reasonably priced, good service.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a personal opinion here, but it might be to your benefit to try and fix the leak yourself.
Most leaks are not serious and require just a little tightening of a fitting.
Getting behind that wall and looking around will help you get familiar with a few things back there.
If you don't feel comfortable doing that or it's something you cant fix then by all means call a mobile repair guy.
Come back and let us know how you made out.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Definitely want to check it out myself. Apparently, HL covers the materials/parts but doesn't cover the service fee for their warrantied item so the mobile tech can be a little pricey. That said, my skills set doesn't include plumbing so short of tightening a clamp or crimping something with a pliers, I'm pretty well relegated to using a service tech.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, take the wall down and ask someone in the park if they will help you find and repair the leak. If you do this, you will learn how to fix some things. RV's are not tough to repair.

danemayer

Warranty won't cover travel time but labor charges for the repair should be covered if use of the mobile service is pre-approved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Yeah, learning more about this process everyday.

None of my issues to this point have been major. Just little ankle biters. Unfortunately, these things take a long time to remedy.

Have a problem with the kitchen faucet from three weeks ago. RV tech stopped by, identified the issue, contacted HL, and HL sent them the part. To a Post Office box. FedEx won't deliver to a post office box so the faucet made a week long trip to south Texas only to be rejected by the local FedEx. The good news is that HL is going to overnight the replacement faucet to me so that I can provide it to the service tech.

The water leak is potentially more problematic because, in my experience, water leaks don't get better over time. So, I'll have to empty the basement again, see what I can find (using the advice Bob and others above have suggested ;) ), see what I/we can fix, and respond from there.

I'm a little spoiled I guess. My Greystone, in 4 1/2 years of ownership, had exactly zero problems so anything that not right with my Key West seems large by comparison.

Counting my blessings, y'all... :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Warranty won't cover travel time but labor charges for the repair should be covered if use of the mobile service is pre-approved.

Dan, you are correct and I've confirmed that through HL. Edited my previous post to removed the incorrect info. :)

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are only 3 rules that need to be followed while doing any plumbing. Hot Water is on the Left, SH*T flows down hill and its time to relax with some cool drinks when done!

Hope this helps!

Lynn1130

Amen to that!

The tool to tighten or repair the pec (sp) fittings is a little pricey but worth it just for the fact that you will use it more than once. Identify the problem and if it is a clamp those are fairly cheap. I would buy a few extra clamps and the tool and see if tightening the clamp fixes the problem. If not then cut clamp off or if you have extra water line remove the line behind the clamp, put the clamp on and attach where it was leaking and tighten.

TxCowboy

Amen to that!

The tool to tighten or repair the pec (sp) fittings is a little pricey but worth it just for the fact that you will use it more than once. Identify the problem and if it is a clamp those are fairly cheap. I would buy a few extra clamps and the tool and see if tightening the clamp fixes the problem. If not then cut clamp off or if you have extra water line remove the line behind the clamp, put the clamp on and attach where it was leaking and tighten.

What the name of the tool? And which clamp should I ask for?

Sounds like something that should be in every RVer's tool kit. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Plumbing issue -- who do you call?

GHOST BUSTERS!

Couldn't resist . . . . :angel:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most of the time you can ask the park manager to recommend a mobile RV tech. Many advertise in the park's sitemap. Ask the mobile tech when you call them if they charge a trip charge for each trip and what does the trip charge cover. Some will charge a trip charge for each trip, i.e. if they come out to diagnosis one trip charge, then come back with parts another trip charge. Most charge just one trip charge. Some include the first hour of labor in the trip charge. If you have an extended warranty that will sometimes pay for the mobile tech. We use mobile techs whenever we can. Putting the rig in the shop means it will sit there for awhile before it even gets looked at. Many water leak issues are just loose fittings. Checking behind the basement wall at the water heater connections you will find that sometimes the water heater connection is loose and can be tightened by hand to stop the leak. BTW the average trip charge is $75.00 in Texas and the hourly labor rate is $85-$120 per hour. (aren't we in the wrong business-LOL)

rjr6150

There are only 3 rules that need to be followed while doing any plumbing. Hot Water is on the Left, SH*T flows down hill and its time to relax with some cool drinks when done!

Hope this helps!

Wow I missed something years ago when getting my masters. I was told the first two but the last one was (Payday is Friday).
I like yours sooo much better