Poor Product

smrkelley

We have now owned our 2016 Bighorn 3010 RE for fifteen months. There has not been one day we have owned it that there has not been a problem with it. The Heartland dealership we purchased from was unable to fix the original problem. It took a year to identify the difficulty and get it repaired. There was a defective transfer switch. We had the trailer in four times before the switch was replaced. The problem ruined our entire winter in Arizona. Once it was fixed we took a trip to Canada and things were going wrong on nearly a daily basis. The jacks would not retract, the propane would not switch to the auxiliary tank and the bedroom slide would not come in. All these latest problems began in July. West coast Heartland representatives said that they were willing to help but when I would call back, I would be unable to get that representative again or would be told that they no longer worked for Heartland. I drove eight thousand miles on that vacation and never got to my destination and came back to Central Oregon, sick and tired of dealing with the RV problems. No one was willing to fix this trailer under warranty and said that they were booked up anywhere from one to four months. After returning home from a ruined summer vacation we took this unit to a repair facility where it has been for a month. Heartland was going to ship a replacement motor for the bedroom slide with two day service but it still has not arrived at the repair facility. I will leave for the Heartland rally in Las Vegas in two days. I will take this unit and put it on display for any prospective Heartland buyer to see, of course with the bedroom slide in because the slide motor still does not work.

This is our third fifth wheel trailer and our fifth recreational vehicle. This is the poorest quality one we have had. I certainly would consider a Keystone or some other quality RV rather than Heartland. These are just some of the problems we have experienced. There are more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi smrkelley,

Sorry to hear you've had these problems, and even sorrier that getting them fixed has been so trying. I get that you've called Heartland previously, but maybe you should try one more time. I'd suggest you ask for a higher level contact in Customer Service to watch over getting all of your problems resolved, and following up at least weekly until everything has been corrected.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh my, so sorry to hear of your issues. Did you know that Heartland can authorize a non-Heartland dealer and mobile techs to do repairs? They may be more motivated to get your repairs done quickly and correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I feel your frustration. We had a lot of piddly problems at first. Every time we went out something went wrong. After a few months of dealing with my dealer and fixing things myself our last 12 months have been a dream. We have this thing so dialed in it's incredible.
I would try too keep your cool and talk to a higher level person. Just keep calling them.
Hopefully you'll get your issues resolved soon and put all of this behind you.
Good luck

MTPockets

From your post it sounds like all electrical problems. Bad switches and dealers unable to locate source. Could happen with any brand as I would guess these electrical components come from the same suppliers. Most issues I read about on these forums are dealer/repair shop shortcomings.. Not the manufacturers. Although having said that, it would be nice if the industry was able to come together putting more pressure on the dealers to Do a better job in the diagnosis and repairs. Also, manufacturers could find their parts suppliers at fault if they provide bad parts. I guess buying from the lowest bidder contributes to some of these issues. Also, at what point will consumers stop buying RV's when prices get too high for getting the best parts... I and many others have experienced these failures, while in my case, I replaced some switches myself with heavier duty switches and with the help from folks on this forum have been able to diagnose and fix some defects myself. I never once had to go to a dealer for any type of service. I did use a mobile service to replace an awning motor and water heater thermostat, both under warranty. I paid mobile tech $75 and Dometic and Suburban supplied parts. None of my issues a Heartland problem. Any failure is downright aggravating. A calm analytical approach usually achieves best results.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do what Erika suggested and the next time you need assistance check into an independent repair facility rather than a dealer. Make sure Heartland authorizes the repairs before they begin any work. Repair is their bread and butter and they are motivated to give you the highest level of service. That is how they make their money. Trace

justafordguy

I agree 100%, I would never take mine back to the dealer for repair. You should find a good independent shop near you and get Heartland to approve them.

jbeletti

This was escalated to Service this morning. The Director phoned me to update on what's going on. Best to let the customer explain back here, once he gets a call from Heartland today.

BLR

We are still waiting on our Cyclone to be delivered and to figure out some of the issues to be fixed..BUT that won't stop us from enjoying the hauler...WE know there will be issues...But all issues can be corrected with time & patiences

smrkelley

Update

The replacement motor for our Bighorn was received at the RV repair center
this morning so hopefully they will get it installed so we can leave for
Las Vegas.

donr827

Re: Update

The replacement motor for our Bighorn was received at the RV repair center
this morning so hopefully they will get it installed so we can leave for
Las Vegas.

Drop by the shop today to see how the repair is doing. Always helped me to get repairs done on time.
Don