Porch light blowing bulbs?

wildwolfproducts

Anyone else having this issue? Our 2012 Key largo blows this bulb every time we turn around. Think this is 4 bulbs in 19 days of use. I know some have changed this whole deal out, but just trying to figure out why it keeps shooting the bulb? Always turns it white and even had a small spot that was melted on the lenses the first time one bit the dust.

Pete

Speedy

If you are getting hot spots on the bulbs thaat blow you have a moisture problem or oils from installing it. These 1141 run quite hot and take very little to cause them to blow.

joet

The porch light bulbs are constantly burning out on our 2011 Cyclone. I measured the voltage out of the converter & am getting 14.6 volts which is beyond the tolerance of 13.6 +/- 3v. HOWEVER, I neglected to disconnect the positive lead from the converter before measuring it, so I have to go back to where it is stored (2hr drive from home) & measure again with the wire disconnected. Even so, I am leaning toward too high of voltage being applied to that bulb.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would lean more toward heat being the problem. One thing that can cause excess heat is oil from the fingers on the bulb. Another cause would be a fixture that has no ventilation. But that might create other problems, like corrosion from water.
+/- 3v on 13.6 would be in the range of 10.6v to 16.3v so I do not think you are getting too much voltage to that bulb if the converter is running normally.

Peace
Dave

PUG

Pug
I got tired of changing bulbs so I installed a kerosene powered kon-tiki torch so I do now is light it at night and add more kerosene every day. easy gets bugs too.

jayc

Legendary Member
I replaced mine with the LED fixture. It's ver nice to have the porch light come on when walking up to the trailer.

I also recently found out that it works when a deer walked by.