Port-A-Deck vs GlowStep Revolution

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Better be quick, our rain will get to you before you know it!

Denver actually set a new record of 80 degrees for this date today!

The Glow Steps will have to wait a week or two . . .

We had really strong winds blowing here today so I opted to work on my car/SUV in the garage instead.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Denver actually set a new record of 80 degrees for this date today!

The Glow Steps will have to wait a week or two . . .

We had really strong winds blowing here today so I opted to work on my car/SUV in the garage instead.

Well, now that the Christmas lights are now unfrozen from the house, I will be able to get those down. I have to beat the next storm rolling into the area!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's another example of how the Glowstep Revolution Steps work in any situation.

I took this picture of the steps in the side view mirror, as Tony had to make a "pit stop" at a picnic area -- he improvised and didn't extend the steps fully, to avoid the curb. Notice the steps are still level, even though not fully stretched out as they could be.

8e71539803e920ff3295e2ab41ffa135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Here's another example of how the Glowstep Revolution Steps work in any situation.

I took this picture of the steps in the side view mirror, as Tony had to make a "pit stop" at a picnic area -- he improvised and didn't extend the steps fully, to avoid the curb. Notice the steps are still level, even though not fully stretched out as they could be.
Thanks for sharing this Erika. I've always wanted to know how these steps would handle a shallow setup when needed. Looks like it can do the job.

TravelTiger

Thanks for sharing this Erika. I've always wanted to know how these steps would handle a shallow setup when needed. Looks like it can do the job.

Although not ideal, it works for a quick stop.

He could also extend the steps, raise the top step to the closest setting to the entrance, and shorten the landing gear to be set up on top of the curb.

JohnD

Since I installed the GloSteps last week I've readjusted the steps a couple of times as where the Prowler is parked the ground and rocks are not level (notice the orange blocks under the tires), plus I tried the steps in several positions and it seems these can be extended in many different ways.

ProwlerGlowStep7-P3160624.jpg ProwlerGlowStep6-P3160590.jpg ProwlerGlowStep5-P3160596.jpg

I now have the bottom step closer to the trailer . . . I'll take a shot tomorrow.

TravelTiger

Here is the shot of the steps:

View attachment 50476

John, curious why you moved the top step closer?

Looks like the bottom step is a bigger step to the ground now.

I try to adjust the top step and landing legs so that all the steps have the same step size from inside the rig to ground. Most of the time, that's the middle adjustment at the top, and one hole from the top on the legs. (Of course everyone's rig and site to adjust to are different.)

JohnD

John, curious why you moved the top step closer?

Looks like the bottom step is a bigger step to the ground now.

I try to adjust the top step and landing legs so that all the steps have the same step size from inside the rig to ground. Most of the time, that's the middle adjustment at the top, and one hole from the top on the legs. (Of course everyone's rig and site to adjust to are different.)

In the photo, if you notice the wood railroad ties . . . that is the property line between our house and the neighbors.

So as it sits, the bottom of the steps are on the neighbors property.

They are OK with us leaving the steps down, but when the steps were fully extended we ended up walking on their grass, and we don't want to make a wear pattern in their lawn from walking on it.

I probably could raise the legs to lower the bottom step a little, but it is not bad as it is.

Cathy and I are both tall (5'11" each), so that bottom step being a little high is OK.

I'm gonna play around with them a little more on my days off to see how many other configurations I can come up with.

JohnD

Talk about parking on the property line!!!!

Used to be a fence along that line, but the wind blew the whole thing down.

We decided to only run the new fence from the back fence out to be even to the back corner of the garage.

The Prowler wouldn't fit there with the fence all the way out to the front like it used to be.

DeckOldFence-P1070208.jpg

You can see the old fence at right.

That is where the Prowler is parked now.

herefishy

We just bought a set of the Porta steps, but don't like the weight of the unit and having to manhandle it around like at a pit stop. Skywrench, I see you have both, do you prefer the Glow Steps? We love the ease of climbing the Porta steps, will I be disappointed in that facet of the Glow Step.

Skywrench

Full Timer
We live in ours and spend extended time in one spot. While staying long term the Porta Deck with steps are the way to go hands down. If you travel much, the Glow Steps are way easier and more convenient to deal with. Both are quality products, it just depends on how you use your trailer.

herefishy

We live in ours and spend extended time in one spot. While staying long term the Porta Deck with steps are the way to go hands down. If you travel much, the Glow Steps are way easier and more convenient to deal with. Both are quality products, it just depends on how you use your trailer.
We settled on both - attached the GlowStep, and carry the Porta steps for extended stays. Ugly but effective

LannyH

Here are the pictures I promised.
Looking for something like that for the wife we have a Montana 3711FL now and the last step getting in the RV is 11 inch so I think the port a deck will be the only thing that she can get in safely as she had her right left amputated just below the knee in Nov 2016 and a Complete left knee replaced in May 2017 so we need something really safe wanting to get back in to Camping.

herefishy

Did you keep the Port a deck all so? looking for something like that for the wife we have a Montana 3711FL now and the last step getting in the RV is 11 inch so I think the port a deck will be the only thing that she can get in safely as she had her right left amputated just below the knee in Nov 2016 and a Complete left knee replaced in May 2017 so we need something really safe wanting to get back in to Camping.
We still have the portadeck and used it for a month last year. I think it was more stable than steps just because of the handles you can hold on to.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
An advantage of the Porta-Deck is being able to open the door at the same level you enter. Definitely nice when you're bringing items in or out. If you move about a lot, it might not be ideal, but it is very nice if you're located on the same site for extended periods (or seasonal like we are). It can be set up fairly quickly and the individual sections are not that heavy. Mine stores in the basement and front compartment over the winter.

This past summer, I did find one of the welded nuts that holds a step leg in place was starting to separate. So I drilled a 1/4" hole through assembly and install a carriage bolt with a wingnut to secure it. To protect my ground mat, I place pieces of a thick masticated rubber floor mat under the legs.