Port Aransas, TX

Fordsd250

We are at the Pioneer RV Rsort in Port Aransas, Tx on Mustang Island. Have been here for a week and will leave out on the 3rd of March to head back to Arkansas.
Great park, laid back with lots to see and do. Walking the park I have seen 2 BigHorns, 2 landMarks and 1 Big Country. The Big Country had the pinbox cover on it, and looks great.
This is our first visit to this park, but will come back if we can get in. Short walk to the beach.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are planning to head to the Gulf in the near future. Would you let me know what the site fees are at the park.. This might be one we would stay at for a few days.

Thanks
BC

theharveys

We are also headed to the Gulf in April (4/19 - 4/26) for a week of vacation. We have reservations at Mustang Island State Park. The park looks nice on the Texas State park web page.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
While you're in Port A, look at Gulf Waters. We've stayed there when we couldn't get in Pioneer on short notice. They're a deeded RV lot property. There's also a new spot in town next to the wharf. Port A is a neat place that's poised to be ruined by high-end development. Just next to Pioneer is a 36 hole membership golf course with multi-million dollar homes. Prices are already sky-rocketing. I hope it will retain it's personality in some way. I'm afraid it will look like Santa Barbara or Miami Beach in a few years.

jimtoo

While you're in Port A, look at Gulf Waters. We've stayed there when we couldn't get in Pioneer on short notice. They're a deeded RV lot property. There's also a new spot in town next to the wharf. Port A is a neat place that's poised to be ruined by high-end development. Just next to Pioneer is a 36 hole membership golf course with multi-million dollar homes. Prices are already sky-rocketing. I hope it will retain it's personality in some way. I'm afraid it will look like Santa Barbara or Miami Beach in a few years.

I agree with you completely, it is becoming a tourist mecca and the prices are changing rapidly. They are going to ruin the town.

There is some really good eating places in Port A and also Rockport (our favorite).

Gulf Waters is a 5 Star place, really nice, but be prepared to pay $45-$50 per night. And they are still working on it, do not think the rec room is ready or any thing but swimming pool. Showers and restrooms are a long way from sites and close at 6pm. This is as of last summer. Landscaping and sites are really nice, access to beach is fairly close with boardwalk over the dunes.

The Mustang Island State Park is a good state park, but it is just like parking in a parking lot with electric and water. Beach is over 1/4 mile away. But that is not bad for where it is located. As there are no trees on the island or shade unless it is man made.

They do have a shuttle system that makes the rv parks for service into Port A. Do not think it goes into Mustang Island State Park. But it is nice if you want to go into town and walk around.

Jim

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We typically spend a month in Port A at various times. We stayed at Gulf Waters for about the same as Pioneer. Yeas, they're still working on individual pad sites that have been bought, but I didn't think it was disruptive. We can't stay there any longer since they implemented a 2 pet maximum limit. We now have 3. Pioneer is as nice and the beach is right over the dunes. We saw another golf course/deed lot on Hwy 35 between Rockport and Aransas Pass. It's still being developed, but the prices start at $85K and I think they are restricted to motor-homes. The island will change after the next big hurricane...

Fordsd250

The rates are 160 to 200 a week plus electric. They have a web site that has a lot of info plus map of park. www.pioneerresorts.com. they have daily rates, and they also are a goodsam park. Great place to stay in this area.

talley

Bighorn at Port Aransas

Pulled into Pioneer RV Park at about 7:30PM today ( Monday) saw a Bighorn on first row off the highway. Will be here a week and have rented a cabin next to our site for children and grandchildren to spend the weekend. Nice well kept park with nothing but sand dunes and beach between rv park and Gulf of Mexico. Should be good time if weather cooperates. :)

StevieWonder

Pioneer's a GREAT spot and the people were extremely nice.

FWIW, you CAN take the ferry rather than having to drive all the way to Corpus Christi. It'll save you an hour and some serious fuel if you're coming from the north or east.

talley

I came the Corpus route... was not sure about how the 38' Bighorn and the on/off ramps of the ferry. Has anyone had the experience and are there any concerns? While here will check on potential use of the ferry, but nothing like input from experienced RVers. Have used the ferry on many other occasions, but not towing. Enjoy the free ferry ride and the porpoise playing along with the ferry.

jpmorgan37

Talley;

Not to worry. They ferry 18 wheelers across. I went across several times with my Sea Breeze about five years ago and it was no problem.

John

sgtbigb

Rockport, Texas

Be sure you stop at the Big Fisherman"s Resturant on hwy 188 near Rockport. Tuesday special's are great!None