Portable air compressor

Uncle Rog

OK, so what is the consensus? Does the unit work or not? Am I lazy or what? I will not even open the box if it won't blow up the bobcat tires...UR

tdharley

I tried out the 12volt air compressor and was not too impressed. I too blew a fuse and I was only trying to fill the Bobcat tires to 50lbs. I probably would not buy it again if I knew what I know now.
I am going to keep it in my truck for a spare.

Uncle Rog

I tried mine out and you are right, it is marginal at best. It seemed to work better connected to the GMC with engine running......

HappyKayakers

Sorry nobody else liked the air compressor. I was looking for something for emergency use, when I can't get an emergency road service or can't wait 4 hrs, that didn't take up a lot of space and weight. And yes, I had to go back to the directions to see it required a running engine for proper operation.

ct0218

Last fall I bought a 12v compressor from Sam's Club, seems like it was $80+, all in a carrying bag, coiled hose, gauge, etc. It had the Michelin name on it. It does work, and no blown fuses, etc. This is the only small compressor I've come across that would pump to 110 psi. Still not the fastestinflation, but this one is heavy and seems to have some guts to it.

Tom of Ypsi

Clark,
Thanks for that info. I will be going to Sam's later today to see if they have one.
Joe, I purposely lowered the air pressure down to 60# on one tire to see how the pump worked. When it got up to 80# that is when it started blowing fuses. While this is enough air to get down the road very slowly and get to a safer place to change the tire I still do not like the fact that I would have to unhook and somehow pull along side of the coach to air a tire going south.

Tom of Ypsi

Ken,

I did see this on rv.net this morning and I was wondering myself if it is worth the money. I am trying to find some feedback on it. If I find anything I will be sure to post it here.

HappyKayakers

Tom of Ypsi said:
Joe, .... I still do not like the fact that I would have to unhook and somehow pull along side of the coach to air a tire going south.

Tom,
Thanks for pointing out that possible pitfall. Guess I hadn't thought that far ahead in the process. I stopped at Home Depot this morning to get a lightweight 50' coiled 1/4" plastic air hose. That should solve one problem.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Could a person connect to the coach batteries, or is there too much draw on them?.../Doug

Tom of Ypsi

I had mine connected to the coach batteries and it worked fine until the fuse blew on the compressor. I found no ill effects to my coach battery, slides still went in and landing gear went up and down. All of this was done at the storage lot, no electricity.

ct0218

That is what I use for filling the fifth wheel tires, I never hook up to the TV batteries unless I'm filling the TV tires.

ChopperBill

My in laws are selling their MH and gave me a pot full of stuff. One of the things was this!
248418274.jpg

Probably not my first choice but it was FREE and looks like it has never been used. Can use it off my inverter or the generator.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
ChopperBill said:
My in laws are selling their MH and gave me a pot full of stuff. One of the things was this!
248418274.jpg

Probably not my first choice but it was FREE and looks like it has never been used. Can use it off my inverter or the generator.
Just wanted to know how many, air tools did you buy? :D Mine is similar, but a Sears model and I don't like the coiled hose, carry the reg. ones. Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

Air Compressors

Photos compares a 12 volt Chicago Pneumatic air compressor vs 120 volt Porter Cable compressor with modified air tank. I removed the 6 gallon PC compressor steel pancake tank and built a 1 gal schedule 40 pvc tank.
The 12 volt CP compressor weighs 8.5 lbs and struggles to pump 100 lbs @ less than 1 cfm. The PC compressor weighs 11.5 lbs with pvc tank and will pump @ 2.6 cfm and up to 135 lbs. The CP has no limit switch, the PC limit switch is on @ 110 and off @ 135.
The modified PC compressor fits in the storage compartment and weighs 13.5 lbs less without the steel tank.

I bought the PC compressor @
http://cgi.ebay.com/RECONDITIONED-Porter-Cable-CP2600P-Compressor_W0QQitemZ120117723944QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

• Air Compressor2.JPG
    Air Compressor2.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 406
  • Air Compressor1.JPG
    Air Compressor1.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,248

timk

Forrestt,
Thats a good idea. Wish I'd thought of that. You could stash a 8ft pc of the pvc, somewhere out of the way and have a pretty good volume, in standby. I carry the pancake and its always in the way.
TimK

Uncle Rog

Forrest, did you hang your overhead from the aluminum joists, or from the subfloor? I have been considering a rack for light stuff, your picture sold me on the idea now..............UR

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
5catfam said:
I have a VIAIR compressor and it works great. It has a working PSI of 110 and will go to 150lbs.
Just went to the VIAIR website. Can you tell me what the model number of your compressor is? Thanks