Portable air compressor

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger

Uncle Rog said:
Forrest, did you hang your overhead from the aluminum joists, or from the subfloor? I have been considering a rack for light stuff, your picture sold me on the idea now..............UR

I used self-taping sheet metal screws to attach the verticle supports to the side of the ceiling joists. I bought the "L" metal for the frame and the 1/4" tempered hardboard for the shelf at Home Depot.

Forrest

phranc

Forrest.. How much pressure can that sch 40 stand? will it go to 150 psi?
How did you attach the fittings? Just drill a hole and tap it ??
Such a good idea, I hope you can share some details...

Forrest Fetherolf

phranc,

2" PVC Schedule 40 is rated at 280psi, smaller diameter PVC is rated higher and larger diameter rated lower. The psi rating is imprinted on each length of PVC pipe. If you are building an air supply tank make sure you use purple primer, clear glue, and allow to dry for a few hours before pressurizing. I drilled a small pilot hole in the PVC pipe and/or fittings, and used a 1/4" NPT threader ($5.95) to thread the PVC. Teflon pipe tape, teflon paste, or PVC glue can be used to seal the threaded brass fittings into the PVC. All the PVC pipe, fittings, reducers, brass fittings, clamps, etc. can be purchased from just about any hardware store. If anyone is considering this and needs some help, let me know.

Forrest

5erWonk

Forrest,

Great modification....Is there enough tank capacity to get you out of trouble if 120V is not available, I don't have an invertor and do alot of dry camping.

I currently have the Chicago Pnuematic, but am not happy with the battery clamps that keep falling apart.

Forrest Fetherolf

5erWonk,

The PVC tank capacity is about 1 gal, not enough tank volume other than to allow the pressure switch to cycle on and off. My application is only to inflate tires, trailair hitch pin and suspension air bags, I have an Onan 5500LP for power if not connected to electrical.

Harbor Freight has a 1800 watt portable inverter for $199.00 that will handle the 15 amp compressor. PVC is simple and light to work with, you can create about any size or shape tank configuration possible for a few bucks. The compressor/PVC tank I built up kept me off the couch an entire day.

Forrest

vrugt

Am I missing something here. A tire pressure of 110 psi for the 3600RL? On the sticker of our 3600RL it states a cold pressure of 80 psi for all tires.

talley

vrugt said:
Am I missing something here. A tire pressure of 110 psi for the 3600RL? On the sticker of our 3600RL it states a cold pressure of 80 psi for all tires.

Check the axle and weight ratings on the outside sticker for accuratness. The 6,000 lb axle willl carry a 80 psi and the 7,000 axle will reflect a 110 psi.

My 3655RD has 7,000 axle (verified by crawling under and visually checking the label on the axle) however, the sitcker shows that the trailer is on 6,000 lb axles. I ran my for several thousand miles with the 80 psi when the trailer weight really calls for 110 psi.

I am still trying to get the dealer and Heartland to correct the sticker.

phranc

The 3600 should have #7000 axles and 'G' rated tires,therefore the 110 psi .
Perhaps a incorrect sticker has been applied??

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
talley said:
I am still trying to get the dealer and Heartland to correct the sticker.

Heartland sent me new stickers for both the outside and inside after the 2006 rally. Until then (when I got mine weighed) I hadn't paid any attention (it showed 6,000# axles instead of the 7,000# that my axle tags had shown).

Chuck

Uncle Rog

Replacement Spec Plate.....

Who did you talk to acquire the new spec plate? Mine calls for E rated tires at 80PS. I never even had one inside the rig, let me know if you do not mind.....UR

Last edited by a moderator:

vrugt

My 2008 3600RL certificate states 7000 lbs axles, 80 psi cold pressure. The tires are marked G rated with a max. cold pressure of 110 psi. I assume the sticker must be correct, it's a Federal document and therefore it better be correct. Based on that same kind of sticker on my TV, I needed commercial plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Uncle Rog said:
Who did you talk to acquire the new spec plate? Mine calls for E rated tires at 80PS. I never even had one inside the rig, let me know if you do not mind.....UR

Uncle Rog

May I assume that you were asking me? I asked Scott Tuttle and someone from Heartland's office sent this to me. I scanned it when I received it, but I have no idea how to insert it in this response.:confused:

Chuck

vrugt

Owner's manual

In the Heartland Fifth wheel owner's manual that came with our 2008 3600RL there is a warning on page 20:

"Warning! Failure to follow tire pressure recommendations can adversely affect the way your vehicle handles.
Do not exceed the Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC recommended pressure even if it is less than the maximum pressure allowed for the tire.
Doing so can cause serious injury or loss of life."

My sticker says 7000 Lbs axles and 80 psi pressure (while the G rated tires are marked 110 psi max. cold pressure) Also the tires had a cold pressure of 80 psi coming from the dealers lot.
As I said before, I stick with that. If there are cases where the Heartland company knows the sticker could be wrong then they better issue a recall. Until such a time we better stick with the sticker! I would say leaving it to a non-committal discussion in a company sponsored forum is not the best way to tackle such a problem.

talley

Wow!! This is really getting to be confusing. Fifthwheel with 7,000 lb axle and tires are recommended on the outside label to be inflated to 80 psi.

My label indicated 6,000 lb axle rating and a 80psi for the tires. I am trying to get the correct label to reflect the actual 7,000 lb axles that are under the coach. I am given to understand that the tire pressure is to be 110 psi for the load range "G" tires.

It seems that there are too many "mistakes" or mislabeling" coming out of Heartland.