Portable gas grills

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Bluegrassman, Iam with you I got the Sunbeam at wally world have had it for over a year now works great for us .

Midastouch

My decision ...

After reading and considering all the info from everyone ... thank you all .... just arrived today is my Weber Baby Q 120. I just got it put together and I really think I'm going to enjoy it! I also got a 20lb. tank so I can get lots of cooking time on it without the expense of the little bottles. I'm hoping to use it this weekend for a couple nice ribeyes!;)

It looks like the the gas grills will be well represented at the rally and put to good use too!:D

Uncle Rog

I have a little stainless steel unit from Cabelas, well made, and should last a long time, its easy clean out also. We also have a little wood chip smoker we take along for ribs and such, adds a nice touch. Midas is right about the 20# tank, we use a coleman tree on top for the lantern and can add an extra appliance at the same time. Cabelas also sells a valve that will refill the 1# cans from the larger tank, real handy for quick lunch stops.

nhunter

I rigged in a gas quick coupler onto my propane hose and a 20' hose. I just plug in and don't have to carry another 20lb tank or smaller ones.

jbeletti

nhunter,

Can you post pics of the coupler area where/how you did this? As advised by another forum member, I too want to get away from carrying a 20# tank in the storage area. A 20' hose with a quick coupling sounds perfect.

Jim

Uncle Rog

Howdt, Sailorand did the same thing except he t'd off the furnace supply and ran a quick disconnect into the living area for his catalytic heater....good idea....

nhunter

I have the Broil King Porta Chef. It has removable legs and folds up quite nicely. I put in a T between the door side propane tank and door side regulator. On the T, I put a natural gas quick coupler that has a valve built into it so you can't uncouple it when the valve is open. I then got a 20' hose and a regulator ( I got 20' so that baby is far away from the trailer and anyone that has seen melted siding knows why). I unscrewed the hose from the BBQ and installed new hose. I snake the hose through hole in bottom of propane bay so I can close the door. At first I tried to run down stream of trailer regulator but just wouldn't get hot enough so I moved it upstream. I ran 3/8" hose and fittings which seems to work, but I know you can get 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4. Only bad part is you need to have propane on doorside for this to work, but that is the one I always run anyway. When I get trailer back from dealer I will try and post pictures. Hope this long windedness helps. Neil

Coupler Link(not the one I have but close)
http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/NatGas24.jpg
http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm Item# 104007
BBQ Link
http://www.broilkingbbq.com/broilking/product.asp?PID=20

jpmorgan37

Another fulltimers idea

We had a fulltimer in the park several weeks ago (when we were having temps in the teens and twenties) and I was talking to him and noticed a hose running from the back of his truck to his 5th wheel. He had a 100# cylinder mounted in the back of his truck. He said that it ran his furnace, propane generator, grill, range etc. He had two cylinders in the rv but only one was full and that was only if the 100# ran out. He said that he had paid for the cylinder many times over in savings over filling his 30# cylinders. I thought it was a great Idea. The only limitations were going through tunnels with restrictions.
John

nhunter

That was were I got my idea from. A guy I used to work for stayed in his Cameo year round and he carried a 100lb tank around, not mounted in his box, just loose. Another reason to have your T upstream of regulator for trailer. Saw a couple a few days back had a 100lb bottle (automotive type)mounted on the hitch area.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Jim
Camping World sells the adaptor and a 12 foot hose that connects to your trailer tanks with a tee. The hose is a quick connect style so it is easy to disconnect and store the hose. I believe the whole set up is about 50 bucks. The only draw back is the 12 hose is the longest you can get, but a camping buddy connected two together with an adaptor. Both of his tanks were on the off door side of the fiver and 12 foot just barely reached to the door side of the trailer.

ct0218

I wonder what adapter he used to connect the two hoses? That would be a good way for me since I have a tank on both sides of the trailer, and already own one 12 foot hose.

nhunter

By the look of the ends on the Camping World hose, it is designed to hook up to a BBQ that uses 1lb bottles. The hose I have has a 3/8" JIC swivel on the end to tie directly onto to burner.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I apoligize, He does not use an adaptor. He bought a second 12 foot lenght of hose and simply screwed the male and female ends together.

The hose that is sold at camping world connects directly to the 20 or 40 lb tanks. It is a Stay Flow Plus, item number 24020. Theprice listed in the newest book os $ 53.99, Presidents Club price. That kit includes the three way that connects your tank, the line going to the supply for the trailer and a connection for the grill hose. It works quite well and you are able to disconnect the grill hose and roll it up for storage.