Portable Generator Question

gslabbert5119

Ok, I have just done 7000 miles in my new to me Bighorn 3685RL and we definitely require a portable generator. so my question to you guys are as follows ...
Which portable generator do you recommend
Did you mount it permanently
Where do you put it while running so that it does not get stolen (If outdoors)
If you mounted it permanently or semi permanently how did you remove the exhaust gasses

I am leaning towards 2 Honda EU 2000 generators so that I can run them in parallel if and when reuired

Many Thanks
Gavin Slabbert

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of 2k grannies mounted on a rack I have attached to the rest of the coach. That's where they run.
They are chained down there, but I think all that will do is slow down a thief.
If they want them they will get them.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I have a 3K Honda that is on a rack like Dave has, It's bolted and chained down and run right where it's at.

pegmikef

I have two Hondas and the few times I have used them I lock them with heavy duty cables to whatever is handy (tree, toy lock on the trailer, covered table poles when available). I agree with Dave, all this does is keep someone from just walking away with them. It just keeps honest people honest. One thing I always do is make sure I meet my neighbors.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have a pair of Honda 2000's. We boondock a lot so they are handy. One thing I do like about them is they are light enough that one person can carry them when needed.

Geodude

I have this Champion 3100. Great price, sounds levels are very good. I chain it to the rear ladder, point the exhaust away from the trailer. I carry it in the front basement, and can lift it in there myself. Runs the air con no problem. For road trips with overnight stops at Flying Js etc., it'll go in the bed of the truck, locked to the bed, and I'll run a power cable to the back of the trailer

70829n.jpg

wdk450

There are some special anti-theft chains originally for locking up motorcycles which are somewhat more daunting to thieves than regular chain. The thief who stole my 3500 watt generator out of the back of my truck simply cut the generator carry bars the chain was threaded through. Multiple security devices make it harder and more frustrating for the potential thieves. Can you possibly keep your Hondas out of sight most of the time and just bring them out when in use?

gslabbert5119

Thanks Dave, and others. Yeah locks and chains and such are only to keep honest thieves out ... lol ...

How about a picture or a better description, coming from a Class "A" I cant imagine where you are securing your gennies

Gavin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is where I store my gennies. They get cabled to the rack and the rack is not going anywhere.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359221512151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359221512151.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 128

d_fergie

I run one of these, Sportsman GEN4000LP 4,000 Watt 6.5 HP OVH Propane Powered Portable Generator, I don't have to worry about Ethanol gumming up carburetor & LP gas is easier to handle & store... same engine as the Champion, available at Amazon or Tractor Supply.

GOTTOYS

There are some special anti-theft chains originally for locking up motorcycles which are somewhat more daunting to thieves than regular chain. The thief who stole my 3500 watt generator out of the back of my truck simply cut the generator carry bars the chain was threaded through. Multiple security devices make it harder and more frustrating for the potential thieves. Can you possibly keep your Hondas out of sight most of the time and just bring them out when in use?
Anti-theft anything is real easy to cut with a cordless grinder armed with a cut off wheel. They have pretty much replaced bolt cutters. 30-60 seconds and they zip right through it...Don

gslabbert5119

Thanks all, I am going to start with one Honda eu2000i Companion (30amp) as that is about as much as my wife can lift. If it is not enough then I will buy the standard 2000i and connect them

Headed west from florida to California for 6 weeks starting early November
Gavin

ChangingPlaces

We have a 3kva honda, which is on a pull out slide mounted in the front gooseneck locker. If we want to use it more than once we leave it pulled out on the slide. It is electric/pull and remote start. It is bolted on the slide out frame, so makes it pretty hard to pinch. Good choice getting a Honda, you won't be dissapointed. Cheers.

DougS

Doug S
I use two Hondi 2000s and have been using them for the past 7-8 years. In a couple of weeks I'll use them for 5 days straight when I go to the last NASCAR race. My two units are always mounted in two racks by the tail gate of my truck. I was able to use one existing bed bolt to hold the gen rack down, but I can remove the gens in less then 5 minutes. The way I have it set up I can plug into a 30 amp pig tail shore line I have at the pin box and run the gens from the bed of the truck. I like the 2 Hondi gens because while not using the A/C unit I have one running while the other unit is cooling off and being filled with gas, they are also light enough to move around.